Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Who'd play a fantasy RPG with Metal music?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2009 02:24
Okay, here's the deal. I'm going to make my own music for my RPG game, but the only two instruments I own are an acoustic and an electric guitar. It won't be a problem for me to write or record the music, but the kind of music that I would write is Thrash Metal, which I don't think fits very well with fantasy RPGs. I could do typical fantasy music for the calm and peaceful parts with my acoustic guitar, even though they'd only have 1 instrument, but when there's a battle most fantasy games have horns and trumpets and stuff. I can't put horns and trumpets in my game's music, so I'm forced to do either electric guitar stuff or MIDI stuff.

So the question boils down to: Would you rather have the game's music be Metal or MIDI? Even if I do Metal music, I'd still have to use MIDI for the drums, 'cause I don't have a drum set and I don't have the money to get one either.

Swordfight! My cheesy little first game!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=147808&b=36
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2009 01:36
Hm, I think I'd quite like a few electric guitars in there somewhere - there's nothing quite like them for that particular sound - but I think you'd have to be careful not to use it too much, otherwise it might get a little old: maybe only for fights against fairly tough enemies. If I'm walking along and I'm attacked by a medium-sized dog, I don't want the sound system to suddenly whack out a "WHAARRRM!"

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2009 05:30
Well it really depends on the game mood. You can't put a ripping heavy metal song on a peaceful town map. However, if you can compose a quality guitar song for a particular game mood, then there really is no difference to conventional game songs.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 01:56
Quote: "If I'm walking along and I'm attacked by a medium-sized dog, I don't want the sound system to suddenly whack out a "WHAARRRM!""

Yes, I understand. I'm working on a system that gradually increases the volume of one song while gradually decreasing the volume of the other so you get smooth transitions.

Quote: "Well it really depends on the game mood."

The mood of the game is going to be a little bit darker than your typical Lord of the Rings/D&D high fantasy. It's not going to be oppressively dark like Diablo or something, it'll just try to be as much like the real world as fantasy can be.

Quote: "You can't put a ripping heavy metal song on a peaceful town map."

In the calm and peacefull parts of the game, there will be fittingly calm and peacefull acoustic guitar stuff. However, in the chaotic and violent parts of the game, like during a riot or in the middle of the sacking of a city, then I'll have some really heavy, dark, and fast electric guitar stuff like the Metallica song "Fight Fire with Fire".

I'll try and mix up the music as much as possible: in some parts I'll play with a pick, in others I'll play with my fingers. I'll use different amp settings on the electric. I could even use my electric guitar, turn all the setting down really low, and make it sound like a bass guitar.

As for the general sound I'm going for, have any of you ever heard the Exodus song "Architect of Pain"? It'll sound something like that, except without the vocals and with much better sound quality.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "fast electric guitar stuff like the Metallica song "Fight Fire with Fire"."

I may just make a crappy RPG game in RPG Maker with that song for the battle music. And make a sound clip for game over that goes "WE ALL SHALL DIE!" Good song. >.>

Anyways, I'm not so sure I personally would prefer something like the Architect of Pain, it doesn't sound like anything special, and especially when you mention it in the same post as "Fight Fire with Fire". But that's just me.

Though some thrash style battle music is certainly intriguing!

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 04:00
Quote: "Anyways, I'm not so sure I personally would prefer something like the Architect of Pain, it doesn't sound like anything special, and especially when you mention it in the same post as "Fight Fire with Fire". But that's just me."

I don't know why, but I love that song. I know it's weird, since I'm mainly a thrash fan, but it's not like it's a soft song or anything. But the reason I brought that song up is because of it's song structure: mostly slow, but fast and heavy at just the right part. It's mood is also kind of dark and sorrowful, which is the general sound that I'm trying to get.

So pretty much, it'll sound like Architect of Pain most of the time (slow and mournful), but like Fight Fire with Fire, Blackened, or the second half of One in the really tough battles.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2009 17:25
If you use electric or acoustic guitar, it doesen't mean you have to make thrash metal (all tought it would be nice to hear Sodom like music in game). You can use acoustic for some scenes where isn't that big of a battle.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2009 01:56
Quote: "it doesen't mean you have to make thrash metal "

Personally, my favorite kind of music is thrash, so that's the kind of music that I'll be making. There wouldn't be any vocals, but who would want there to be singing while you're trying to play a game? But it take it's influence from the American thrash of Metallica and Exodus, not from the German thrash of Kreator and Sodom.

Quote: "You can use acoustic for some scenes where isn't that big of a battle."

That's what I intend to do.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 00:46
what's stopping you from picking up a tracker or something and some samples and putting together a more conventional RPG track using the computer?

www.soharix.homestead.com
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 02:12
Huh?

CMartin
Years of Service
User Offline
this sounds like a cool idea, id try it. Btw if you ever need help or tips for tracking/mixing and whatnot let me know, i have my own post out on me offering my services for this type of stuff, check out my soundclick for example of what i've done lately. Ive practicly learned how to play on trash metal, mainly megadeth rust in peace was like my turning point in my guitar learning journey lol
programing dude
Years of Service
User Offline
It would sound nice if you had the main theme being played by horns/trumpets and accompanied by the electric guitar.
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2009 02:21
Quote: "Btw if you ever need help or tips for tracking/mixing and whatnot let me know"

Thanks for the offer, but I'm confident enough with my own skill in such things.

Quote: "It would sound nice if you had the main theme being played by horns/trumpets and accompanied by the electric guitar."

If only...

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2009 10:50
what i was saying is that you don't need to actually physically record the music yourself. You can use programs like FLstudio to compose tracks on the computer and you can get "Samples" which are bits of an instrument being played and the tracker (like FLstudio) can then make it sound like the notes you specified were recorded with that instrument.

www..homestead.com
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 03:20
> blobby 101

Well, I want to make it completely by myself. Or at least as much by myself as possible. And besides, I have guitar skill so why not use it.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 16:36
Sounds like a great idea! Go for it!

God Helps the Beast in Me!
Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 12:48
Thrash Metal ftw! Do it man!

WizMod Developer.
Emphasoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 22:29
Have you seen Brutal Legend? It is basically a fantasy action-adventure (think zelda) game about heavy metal. It would be great.

Salvation and Sickness are in every heart. Death and Deliverance are in every hand.
-Orson Scott Card
Yohiggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 23:41
Thrash Metal All The Way!!!!! I would play that! because the midi music always gives me a headache, and guess what, i can sleep to screamo and thrash and death metal. ITS WIERD.....

Agent Smith: You're empty. Neo: So are you.
Andrew Ryan: A Man Chooses,A Slave Obeys.
V:Remember,Remember The Fifth Of November.
Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 03:37 Edited at: 28th Jul 2009 03:40
Actually I just thought of a better example for the exact style of thrash that'll be in pretty much every game I make, not just the RPG I was referring to: the Vio-lence song "Eternal Nightmare". If I have the time, I'll make a recording of me playing a bit of that song for those who don't know it. It should also give everyone an idea of the sound quality of my recording setup.

Quote: "i can sleep to screamo and thrash and death metal. ITS WIERD....."

Yeah, that's kind of... strange. Thrash/Death Metal is pretty much the only kind of music I listen to, but I can't say that I can sleep to it.

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 18:31
I recall a final fantasy clone that used metal for music , it was an awsome game although I cant remember the name of it for the life of me.

Regards
Gamerboots~
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 18:40 Edited at: 10th Aug 2009 18:41
The dynasty warrior series uses metal, metal and more metal. It's one of the best slaughtering games I've played and the music does it just. I wouldn't call them RPG's, but you DO level up and collect items.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjBZ78asAk8
One of my favourites.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2009 02:39
Quote: "[quote]Quote: "It would sound nice if you had the main theme being played by horns/trumpets and accompanied by the electric guitar.""

If only...[/quote]

Why not? Do you mean directly play a .mid file within DB? If so, I'd say no to the midi. Midi is extraordinarily useful, but primarily in cases where you're trying to conserve a LOT of disk space, and you can guarantee a consistent quality sound bank (MS Wavetable General MIDI is losing its luster) like if you were writing for a game to be distributed over XBLA and wanted to use the 360's own soundfonts. Or, some developers actually packaged the necessary samples along with their game (read The Fat Man On Game Audio). But nowadays, because we've got such great audio compression there's no need to rely on MIDI as anything other than a production tool.

There are many ways to convert your midi to audio--I'm certain there is at least one share/freeware or open-source DAW, and several "MIDI-renderer" applications out there. Then it's just a matter of importing your rendered MIDI tracks into your favorite audio editor and jamming out with it.

BUT bottom line: Heck yeah throw some metal in there.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 03:46:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 03:46:06