Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / UI Design

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 01:56 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2009 01:56
I'm trying to make some UI for a video game. I am aiming for something that looks a little polished but isn't annoyingly over the top. Graphic design isn't my thing, I'm hopeless at it so I need to know if there's anything naggingly awful about this.

One thing in particular I'm not sure about is the transparency on window backgrounds. Is it too much? Will it get irritating or is it good polish?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 03:21 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2009 03:23
I personally like the transparency. The only thing I notice that could be fixed is that the text and 'X' button on the window are aligned right at the top, it almost looks like a bit is being clipped off--maybe moving them down a bit could help. All in all though it looks good. Nice job.

i like orange
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 09:37
looks pretty good to me, nex. some thoughts:

1) i would make the text a bit smaller. leave a couple open pixels around it or else it will look crammed in there.

2) the borders on the item buttons are pretty thick, too. i'd swipe a pixel or 2 inside and out.

3) Menu Titles (ie, "Load Game" in the layering test image) needs to be moved down a couple pixels (and with smaller text as mentioned).

as far as the transparency, i think it looks pretty slick but seeing it in action might be a different story. maybe leave the window with focus as you have it now but any other windows you could darken or fade more which would help make the text in top-most window more visible (ie, consider the overall contrast so (current) things stay legible).

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 11:04
Personally I'd get rid of the borders altogether, I think the buttons on their own would look pretty nice without the borders. You could still keep to the window system, but maybe just colour the buttons to suit each different window.

I never like the look of curved buttons and square borders, continuity is very important and I think that having round borders only when you need them would raise the bar. Perhaps have drop shadows on each button, along with the transparency, I think it would look very professional.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 20:50
Thanks for the comments. I am going to reduce the font size, make the borders less obvious and rounded and add spacing between window objects.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 20:59
please show the updated version when it's ready, nex? also, what are the 4 red-ish gradient lines above the top menu?

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 21:01 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2009 21:05
The character test screen showing through.

Here's a screenshot from ages ago before I added borders.

Attachments

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 22:15 Edited at: 24th Apr 2009 22:16
How's this look?

Total reinvention pretty much.

Attachments

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 22:31 Edited at: 24th Apr 2009 22:31
Here's a demo for you to try. It needs extracting and maybe OpenAL, can't remember. The buttons at the moment just open and close windows because this is a menu test. The window and its contents should also resize perfectly.

WARNING: This file is provided under no warranty or garuantee, implied or otherwise. Use at your own risk! I can't code in procedural C for toffee!

Attachments

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 03:31
Impressive! I like all the animation you've included in it--the window opening/closing looks very smooth as well as that little hand that follows the mouse. Nice job.

i like orange
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 11:24 Edited at: 25th Apr 2009 11:25
nice, nex. definitely polished. the pointer i didn't care for much (i don't think it matches the menu. maybe a little light reflection or "lens flare"-type effect on the left side of the button would be more appropriate?), but the menu itself is slick.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 12:32
Might replace the hand with a stylised arrow or something. It's only there because it's meant to be usable on systems without pointers.

Thanks for your comments. I can see how much they have improved what was a naff design.

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 09:06
Looking good!

Perhaps you could clarify the window title a little more, by adding some contrasting element to the window options. Bold text, different background colour or shade, that should do the trick.

Awesome stuff!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 06:56:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 06:56:48