Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / perfect flashlight...how did he do it?

Author
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 06:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1-w6npxaYA&feature=related
this is a youtube clip of the fpsc using a perfect flashlight, does anyone know how he did it?

shadow666
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
...mod or hud.

Red Eye: Now in the Forums
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 17:06
...that's s4real's flashlight.

Do a search, and you should be able to locate multiple threads, that will aid you in incorporating this effect...

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes seth black is right it is an early version of my flashlight.

If you search for flashlight free version on the forum I think you might find that version.

Best s4real

Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 19:40
but in this one, you could see light from outside the hud, with yours it blocks out lights from the outer part of the screen (i think) how do i make it so it doesnt do that?

shadow666
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 01:04
If you don't make the outer part of the HUD solid black, it won't completely block out that light. Make the black portion slightly transparent to allow light to come through.

It also involves increasing the ambience to a higher level when the flashlight is turned on. You'll need to find a balance between the transparency and the ambience to make it look good.

The one and only,

john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 01:25
i just saw s4reals torch flashlight, i think that does it without hud affects, how do i get that?

shadow666
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Question is anyone aware that i made enhancements on the flashlight v3 and now its flashlight v3.1? Because i saw that in v3 forum every one was asking for it to have batteries so i did it and it doesn't seem like anyone noticed.

john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 04:56
i noticed it was kool, but i need it to be unlimited, good work though, so how can i get his torch flashlight, cause i heard it was only for certain people..

shadow666
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 05:16
If it was only for certain people and you don't have it, then obviously you're not one of those certain people and you shouldn't have it.

I know for a fact that s4real's flashlight does indeed use a HUD. It doesn't matter what you think it does or does not use, that is how it's done and that is reality. I suggest you take people's advice to you and stop trying to argue against what they say.

Here are the ways that flashlights are currently done: (Spot flashlights, not point flashlights)
- A HUD overlay (The method that HAS BEEN USED and the method people have suggested)
- A spot light coded into the engine (This HAS NOT been done in a Mod. I have tried it before and it looks like ____ since spot lights only light up vertices)
- A shader (This also HAS NOT been done and requires the application of a flashlight shader to the universe object and all objects in between)

Now, either you choose to listen to what people have to say, or I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the people will choose not to listen to you.

The one and only,

john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 07:46
someone else told me it was without, so i cant listen to both, and i was wondering if i could get it or if there was something to do or pay to get it

shadow666
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 08:06
You were just given the link to the best working flashlight on the forums, which happens to be free, and you don't want it? Interesting.

john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 08:43
no no dont get me wrong, i think its amazing (lol everyone thinks im an ***hole) but i also saw another one by s4real, one where, there was a small "torch" light, but the outside of the screen was not blacked out, but i havnt found the download

shadow666
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 08:45
maybe that one doesnt black out the edges, but i think it makes it darker, in one of his versions's it doesnt even make the edge darker, i dont think it even uses a hud thing, s4real please find this thread, lol

shadow666
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 10:30
Quote: "(lol everyone thinks im an ***hole)"

Well, the way you keep acting, I certainly do.

"You are not smart! You are very un-smart!"
Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 10:36
Im just taking a random poke here, and have never used the flashlight..

But maybe the ambiene was set to complete 0 in the screens (if any, I told you this is a guess )

~ Benny Boy 2321 ~ Raw Sandvich ~
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 10:45
sorry toasty, an to titanium. exxactly! it wasnt, because u could see things outside his little light, as long as they had a different light affecting them, with the normal flashlight it ....wait, if the ambiance is set to 0 then how do you see the flashlight, lol titanian can you explain more
ps, i dont think he used a hud

shadow666
Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 11:54
Well, im not sure in anyway how it worked, but i think that when you make a hud (the damage hud for example* what is black is transparent i belive. He would have done something to do with transparency probably, im not sure, And the ambience being set to 0, with diferent lights affecting them, is because, they are emiting the light, which the ambience does not affect (im pretty sure, its been a while since a worked with darkness)
I think he would of had to used a hud, or some form of it anyway, and then scripted the rest.

Im guessing it would be possible, to have a white dot, in the middle of a black square, and have an FPI script, and create a flashlight off of that.
Thats a guess based on what i know from GameMaker back in the day

~ Benny Boy 2321 ~ Raw Sandvich ~
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Right to answer how it was done.

The script was an early version of the flashlight on the forum it used a diffrent hud that is smaller than the newer flashlights are using.

The ambience was set to about 7 for the example vid.

@john schwarcz : If I can find the hud as its a while I will post it in this thread.

Best s4real

john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 19:11
really?!?! oh my god thank you guyss soooo much,
im a little confused, because in the vid on top, it doesnt look like a hud at all because the outer layers isnt affected, but if it is, thank you thank you thank you this is exactly what i need (oh and is there any other differences with this one and the new one other then the size?

shadow666
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@john schwarcz

These where the only huds I could find.

enjoy S4real

Attachments

Login to view attachments
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 00:33
thanks, gonna try it out as soon as i can

shadow666
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2009 08:25
so like it didnt work , i downloaded the hud, i think i downloaded the script. (its called flashlight) but i couldnt change the ambiance because it said i needed the biuld game upgrade or something... lol help

shadow666
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2009 09:15
also i made a hug with gimp, what type of file should i save it as for fpsc?

shadow666
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2009 09:34
sorry for the triple post but i thought it might be important to add that dds format wasnt one of the options

shadow666
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 01:24
.TGA
.PNG
.JPG

Pick one and try it. It's easier to find out on your own.

Also, it may be wise for you to learn how to use the EDIT POST link and edit your posts instead of triple posting. Some moderators aren't very forgiving of that kinda thing.

The one and only,

john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 5th May 2009 04:14
ok thanks for the help and advice, next time ill make sure to take note of it

shadow666
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 5th May 2009 16:30 Edited at: 5th May 2009 16:32
omg!!! guys!!!! i just had a mental breakthrough on how to make a flashlight...that doesnt affect the outside of the screen! (or doesnt look like it does) . although it will make the game itself darker. sooo, what you do is make a hud that is all black and 50 percent or so, transperent, and have that hud show all the time. EXCEPT, when you push the F key, it turns this one of, and replaces it with one, that is all black a little less transperant, but has a small 100 percent transperant hole in the middle, (and set the ambiance to whatever like the other flashlights) and there! you made the middle of the screen lighter in addition to adding ambiance, so you can make the outside more trasnparent, that way , the lights on the level dont look dimmer when the flashlight is on, (and of course when you press F again it switches it back) . now i would work on this but im going to get an IQ test so if you guys want to try this theory out , go ahead, if not, ill just do it after the test
(the main difference between this and other flashlights, is the hud that is being shown all the time that the flaslight hud is not)

shadow666
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 01:39
I hate to be the burster of bubbles (okay, maybe not all the time) but this is exactly how flashlights have always worked....

The one and only,

john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2009 01:56
it has but with one huge difference, in my theory
there is a hud being displayed the whole time that the flashlight hud is not, and the ambiance is at a set rate, when you press F the hud changes from being all black (half way transparent) to black (half way trasnparent) with a fully trasperant whole in the middle.
there is no need to even change the ambiance (can someone edit one of the flashlight scripts so that, a hud (just call it 1) is being shown when the flashlight hud is not (im not a good scripter)) and ill try to show you guys how it works, its almost done just need the script)

shadow666
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 02:00
It would be cool to do a REAL flashlight, in source, but I dont think its possible, since fpsc makes worlds one big static model, right?

Correct me if I am wrong Ply, but isnt a flashlight, such as in halo, work with TWO textures?

Like, you shine your light on the wall. The "ring" of light, is actually "cutting" a texture out, and showing the "illuminant" texture.

I dont know...
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2009 02:16
whoa thats complex, ya with this flashlight its simpler ill post a vid when i can but i still need a script to have hud 1 be shown when hud 2 is not

shadow666
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 02:20 Edited at: 6th May 2009 02:21
Yes, game programming is complex

I think that fpsc is makes things a little too easy. However, I understand that that is the point, but it closes your mind (i feel), to what is possible through programming....

EDIT: ...in dark basic pro!
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 02:28
No, I believe in large commercial games such as that, the flashlight is a shader.

Doing it using overlays (HUDs) will make the flashlight show up no matter how bright the room is, and that is a little unrealistic.

The one and only,

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 02:30
Thanks Ply.

I read about that way somewhere in the db forums...
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2009 05:10
is that way possible with fpsc?

shadow666
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 05:46
Refer to my second post in this thread for how to do it that way.

The "shader" method is the third option I listed there.

The one and only,

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 05:47
Lol Ply. I see every couple seconds you answer Q's on a new thread

Not saying I dont do that.

And the third option by Ply is the best. Hopefully it could be integrated into the source code...
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2009 05:52
ok, but im using a hud, and i feel really bad for this, but i have to request a script. im sorry, but i looked all over and i cant figure out how to do this

- the flashlight script except, when the flashlight hud is not on, another hud (just call it hud 1) is on, all the time, until you press F again, and it switches back to the flashlight hud, etc. , -

its probably not hard for a scripter, but i still dont know how to script, im looking into more segmant and texture making (and game making) but im not experianced enough for scripting yet (though im trying)

if some one could make this for me, id be sooo thankful, and im really sorry if this is bothering anyone..

shadow666
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 05:52
The tricky part to the third option is the fact that it requires a shader to be applied to EVERYTHING for the flashlight to work. This means you would need to code the flashlight shader INTO other shaders, or you completely sacrifice the use of shaders on anything at all.

The one and only,

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 05:54
Thats just the issue. Its not worth it...

There must be another way...
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2009 05:57
ya there is , what i theorized, ill show you guys the finished work, but i just need that script still lol

shadow666
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 05:59
No...We are discussing a REAL flashlight. What you are suggesting has already been done several times...
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2009 06:12
nope it hasnt, my way wont affect the outside of the screen . its the opposite of what has been done

shadow666
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 13:37 Edited at: 6th May 2009 13:49
EDIT; never mind.

"You are not smart! You are very un-smart!"
john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2009 18:40
bump lol
when i get back from my iq test ill tell you guys what i got, and hopefully finish the perfect flashlight

shadow666

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 11:21:44
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 11:21:44