Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Bump-mapping and FPSC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2009 23:17
I don't know if you guys have noticed, but bump-mapping in FPSC is, not only difficult to get to work, buggy. Well, since we are about to get our hands into the 1.15 source-code, this is not problem, however, i have a question:

Anyone noticed that the bump-mapped segments or entities don't react to the ambient lights? For example: if i place a zombie with a effect, in a dark area... he'll have it's "own light" and the effect will work "alone" to that light, instead of reacting to the light in the environment surrounding him (the dark area). This is also true for segments. Make your tests.

I would like to know if this is a problem with the DarkLIGHTS implementation in FPSC code, or a bug with DarkLIGHTS itself.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 04:20
Dude

FPSC X9 does not support normal mapping on segments and possibly never will at least in the official version.

FPSC X10 does with static lights and when used with entities or segments. See attached.

I think you've asked a few times now so if you really want that feature in FPSC its time to upgrade.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DJ Almix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 04:34
Quote: "Dude

FPSC X9 does not support normal mapping on segments and possibly never will at least in the official version.

FPSC X10 does with static lights and when used with entities or segments. See attached.

I think you've asked a few times now so if you really want that feature in FPSC its time to upgrade. "

Not entirely true there was a HUGE thread on this like forever ago search for it, but the end result was that bump-mapping was supported and someone showed all situations of what it looked like and it turned out ok (no where near X10 though).

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
@Nomad Soul: CoZ made a shader that supported Normal Mapping on Segments. (Just like X10)

Red Eye: Now in the Forums
Claws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 10:18
Guys, before starting a flamewar or "you didn't read this thread", please, read the original post. I'm not talking only about segments, Nomad Soul, i'm also talking about the way entities react to shaders. They seems to react to the "shader-coded lights", instead of the lights present in the level. This seems like a bug, since this is like "faking" bump-mapping, instead of implementing it.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 16:38 Edited at: 25th Apr 2009 16:40
It's possible to edit FPSC shaders to specify the ratio applied from lights and ambient lighting with entities.

My point is that normal mapping is not fully supported in FPSC. The shaders coz released are very good (for entities and weapons) but I tried using his normal mapping segment shader and it didn't work. I've not seen anyone else using it either and given how many people want that feature I'm sure we would have seen evidence by now.

Normal and specular mapping works how it should do in FPSC X10 with static lights and everything you care to apply it to. So if thats what you really want in your game you should go with that.

You MIGHT be lucky and get segment shaders working on an X9 build after the migration but don't count on it. I've not seen Lee confirm anywhere that will be the case and graphics is one thing he said X9 won't get the all of the X10 features as they use different rendering engines.
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2009 12:55
From what I know, the migration is enabling stable shaders on segments, so there may be some hope fro X9.

-FCV

NO LONGER ABLE TO PLAY ON MY CRAPBOX SINCE I GOT THE RRoD
FPSC-Online Forums
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
..the migration...
i don`t think that all the things you guys want will be in the Migration (i think Lee told us which features will be implemented!).

so we have to wait for the Migration or for my mod ^^

... efxMod Developer!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 09:27:21
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 09:27:21