Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Un-offical question asking thread!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 00:53
Yes, I don't see how this is out of the AUP, but I think we should reserve this space for people to ask questions and share answers. Thus saving us more space for important topics. I have used FPSC for about 4 years, stop using it, but pretty much know everything about it.

Well ask away!

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 00:55
We have had these before they never work i wouldn't bother you'll just get knocked down for it just the way it goes round here.

- The Next -
DJ Almix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 00:57
Quote: "We have had these before they never work i wouldn't bother you'll just get knocked down for it just the way it goes round here.
"

Yeah i have been here forever and forum is rather different now, but I don't mind I might as well do this it's better then fifty posts saying "I need HELP! READ THIS!"

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 00:59
Very true many of the older guys are thinking this seems its changed allot in the last few months.

- The Next -
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 00:59
Q. You've been here 4 years. Do you really think that people won't start a new thread to ask their questions?

Best.

DJ Almix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 01:01
Quote: "Q. You've been here 4 years. Do you really think that people won't start a new thread to ask their questions?

Best."

hmm true, so have I, um I don't really know now this forum every one is becoming slightly mean on this forum I wish it was like the good old days although we are getting off topic...

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 01:04
Quote: "every one is becoming slightly mean on this forum"

I think it's better than it was 4 years ago, but that's just my experience of it. I just can't believe that new users who have a question are going to look for this thread and post it here. They will continue to post "HELP! It Don't Work!!!" in a new thread. Some things will never change, and that's OK.

Best.

DJ Almix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 01:10
Quote: "I think it's better than it was 4 years ago, but that's just my experience of it. I just can't believe that new users who have a question are going to look for this thread and post it here. They will continue to post "HELP! It Don't Work!!!" in a new thread. Some things will never change, and that's OK.

Best.
"

Good point guess i will just lock this.
Off Topic: why do you add best at the end of everything?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 01:22
Short for best wishes.

The idea has merit, but I just don't see it working here. Don't lock it on my account though. I'll erase all my posts if you like.

Best.

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree its a good idea but I cant see it working.

Best s4real

john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 02:22
if this actually gets my guestions answered then ill definitly use it lol great idea thanks

shadow666
Sgt Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a question!

Why do so many people not use the search bar?
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 07:26
Quote: "Why do so many people not use the search bar?"

If they did my guess is we would get really bored.

Failing at every guitar game ever made!
Sgt Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Why do so many people not use the search bar? "

Quote: "If they did my guess is we would get really bored"

Haha, very true FredP!
DJ Almix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 07:52
Quote: "Quote: "Why do so many people not use the search bar? "

Quote: "If they did my guess is we would get really bored"

Haha, very true FredP! "

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 08:36
I remember when I first came to this section of the Apollo boards, my first thread was the "Stupid Questions Thread"..... but it got a stupid answer and I replied with a smart*** post and it got locked shortly after I got my smart answer.

Here's my contribution:

Quote: "I have used FPSC for about 4 years, stop using it, but pretty much know everything about it."

If you know everything about FPSC, maybe you can help me with this one -
Characters in FPSC seem to have a different collision routine (cylindrical... seems to be hard-coded) with the universe (segments) than they do with dynamic entities (box collision... changeable through settings)... how can I get them to collide the same way with segments as they do with entities?
If it's a sourcecode problem (I'm putting my money on that it is), what do I need to change in the sourcecode to rectify this?
(If you can actually answer this... I may just have to bring back vehicles, haha)

The one and only,

DJ Almix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 08:45
Quote: "I remember when I first came to this section of the Apollo boards, my first thread was the "Stupid Questions Thread"..... but it got a stupid answer and I replied with a smart*** post and it got locked shortly after I got my smart answer.

Here's my contribution:

Quote: "I have used FPSC for about 4 years, stop using it, but pretty much know everything about it."

If you know everything about FPSC, maybe you can help me with this one -
Characters in FPSC seem to have a different collision routine (cylindrical... seems to be hard-coded) with the universe (segments) than they do with dynamic entities (box collision... changeable through settings)... how can I get them to collide the same way with segments as they do with entities?
If it's a sourcecode problem (I'm putting my money on that it is), what do I need to change in the sourcecode to rectify this?
(If you can actually answer this... I may just have to bring back vehicles, haha)

The one and only,
"

Yep I remember asking Lee this or something similar. I wanted to use vehicles, but unfortunately all collisions are hardcoded unless they are static...

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 13:23
So inotherwords, inherent to either Source or ODE?

"I can't imagine what this place would have been like if I hadn't found you here." - BJ Hunnicutt
DJ Almix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 20:53
Quote: "So inotherwords, inherent to either Source or ODE?"

There is no way unless you edited the source for dynamic objects to have a box collision.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 23:59
Quote: "I think we should reserve this space for people to ask questions and share answers."

Is that not what the forum is for?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2009 02:14
Quote: " unfortunately all collisions are hardcoded unless they are static..."

My confusion with the collision thing resides in the fact that characters react differently with dynamic objects than they do with the universe object. If the physics (and the underlying collision) are all handled by ODE, how is it that one object is using two different collision shapes? Has Lee made two meshed instances of the physics system? I wouldn't think he'd do something like that, as it just over-complicates things.

My initial thought was that he used a distance check for characters against segment walls (hence the perfect cylindrical collision), but I couldn't find any code in the source to back that up. The closest I could find was "player to universe" collision. However, that doesn't help since characters are much different than the player collision. I don't know why Lee decided to go with the crappy character handling that he did instead of making characters collide just like the player does and have similar routines... It would have been a much more modularized way of doing it and probably would have cut out a ton of code from the engine.

The one and only,

meteorite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 04:20
Perhaps this i something you could fix ply

"I can't imagine what this place would have been like if I hadn't found you here." - BJ Hunnicutt
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 04:48
I wouldn't take a crack at that... I don't even know why characters act the way they do with segments, so I wouldn't put myself to the test of seeing if I could "rip" the current system out and put a new one in.

THe one and only,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 09:28:26
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 09:28:26