Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK .NET / DBCore SyncRate

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2009 03:25
I may have missed reading something somewhere. Is the sync rate locked in GDK.Net with no way to override?

I\'m using C#, and I get between 70 and 74 no matter what.

AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2009 16:12
You will have to wait till they update DarkGDK.NET to match DarkGDK

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2009 18:38
Ah, I see. Thanks.

I'm considering switching to GDK.Net from DBPro. I would go with the GDK but there's just something about C++ I don't really care for.

AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 02:17
Quote: "but there's just something about C++ I don't really care for."

At first it seems like that, but then when you discover structures,classes and all the other neat things it can do, you will stick with it. Also if you use .NET you then require the user to have the .NET framework installed

Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 12:58 Edited at: 28th Apr 2009 12:59
I don't think the differences between C++ and C# (a .NET language) are that great.

The main things that C++ has that C# doesn't are: pointers, unmanaged dynamic memory and C strings.

There are probably equal numbers of people who will tell you that a) those things are bad or b) those things are good. It basically depends on your point of view.

You don't have to use the more advanced features of C++ and you can create perfectly good applications without touching pointers, C strings or dynamic memory. Using C++ has definitely helped me develop my programming skills; I think it trains users to find bugs and program effectively.

C# is a safer language in terms of how likely you are to create serious bugs, but without touching the advanced features of C++ it could be argued that C++ is equally as safe.

In terms of productivity (how much you can get done) I would say that C# is slightly better because it has lots of nice features like putting .ToString at the end of something converts it to a string. This is harder to do in C++ especially with C strings. Saying this, I would say an expert C++ and expert C# programmer could probably do most things in a similar amount of time.

Performance wise C# performs slightly worse on most tasks, I think it is around 10% worse. Obviously this varies depending on what the task is.

As far as DGDK is concerned, the C++ version is not object orientated so you will be using it in a very similar way to how you would in DBP i.e. with IDs for everything. This is silly in my opinion and it surprises me that DBP was developed in this way. However you can get wrappers which make it object orientated and that is essentially what the .NET version of DGDK is.

In conclusion, performance isn't an issue for most tasks as the difference isn't significance. C# is slightly easier than C++ but doesn't have some advanced features that C++ has. C# is more secure and you are less likely to develop buggy software as you can't get things like memory leaks (unless a plugin is buggy).

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 17:49
Thanks for that.

Performance wise C# is obviously going to be MUCH faster than DBPro, which is the main goal of me choosing something different. If DBPro were as fast, I'd be sticking with it.

My guess is that because the two languages are so similar, and the editors behave, look and feel similar, I'll use C# to gradually move my way into C++ and become adept at both. I can already see changes in the way I look at C++ code from the little bit of C# I've been hammering on the last few days.

I don't think I'll be converting the Worlds Apart Online client to C# anytime soon, maybe the server, but I wanted to get started on learning it. It's also going to take time to gather all the plugins that I typically use and make sure they are going to work with C#. I've already found that Sparky's isn't available for it yet, and I'm hoping to either get some help from someone to convert the C++ code for loading ExtendedTerrainXYZ maps over to C#, or beg the author to do it soon.

I was of course very pleased that DarkNet is already C# ready.

Looking at the other discussion I had on the DBPro board about framerates, I'm actually not that worried about those anymore. These engines are performing quite well, and I had some stupid notion that if it wasn't running FULL THROTTLE it wasn't going fast enough. I'm feeling much better now..

AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 20:04
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 21:40
Quote: "C++ is faster than C#"

A little. The real differences aren't that important to me right now though. The fact that I can do the same things in C# that I can in DBPro, and it's much faster than DBPro is enough for me at the moment.

Although the downside is that the client must have the .Net Framework installed.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 21:17
Actually, C# does have pointers, unmanaged dynamic memory and C strings

Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 21:36
This does weaken my case for C++

Am I right in saying that they are not integral to C# so most of the time you are writing code under the protection of the CLR. These features are at the core of C++ whilst in C# they are additional features which are optional. In C# you could code at an expert level without ever touching these things.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 19:44
@Michael P
Yes

There are in fact two ways to do unmanaged operations. One is to use 'unsafe' code, which is effectively embedded C++, and the other is to use the System.Runtime.InteropServices namespace (classes such as Marshal allow you to do certain unmanaged operations).

A73
Years of Service
User Offline
It seems that in the current version (290509) there's still no chance to overcome the VSync Lock, regardless of what you setup and regardless of fullscreen or windowed.

Did I miss something or is it simply still a limitation?
When can we expect to get rid of it? Can we ?

Cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:51:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:51:31