Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [Dark Physics] FPS Movement

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 13:27 Edited at: 28th Apr 2009 13:30
Hi!

I've read a lot about character controllers for FPS's and how "bad" they are. But is it really that bad? And if so, what would I use as alternative? Some say Sparky's would be good, but how would I then accomplish something like kicking things over or bouncing on a rope bridge?

Thanks!

Jeff

You're the 'th to view this signature!
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 03:24
Character controllers, popular to contrary believe, can strafe and have additional gravity applied.

Unfortunetly, collision response is horrible (good luck pushing objects) and they have some other quirks. I don't think they are terribly fast either.

If you can handle the extra work, you can make your own Character Controller in Sparky's using multiple spheres. You can control the collision response and probably place a kinematic object in the character to prohibit objects from penetrating them.

jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 13:51
Hey, thank you that's a great idea. But the only thing is how would I let OTHER objects push ME... But I'll try to figure it out! Thanks!

You're the 'th to view this signature!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 07:08:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 07:08:57