Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Hi, Love it, Sample?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey everyone. i just started using DarkGDK a couple of days ago and im loving it already. Its fairly simple once you get the basics down, Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with an example or sample src of a 3d game. Education purposes. I need somthing simple, pretty much all i need it to do is load the map and a mob model. Im just a lil confused how some things work so need to see it first hand.

(Sick of putting objects on my screen but not being smart enuff to figure out how to move the camera around by keypresses . lol)

Thanks in advance.
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 08:44
Moved this to the DarkGDK Boards.

ABXG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 12:24
There is a tutorial in your DarkGDK installation folder that details how to create a terrain from a heightmap. I personally prefer to make a .dbo model for my terrain and use dbLoadObject to place it in my world. If you read the documentation that is in the .chm file (it is in your install directory) you will find a fairly complete list of all the different functions available in DarkGDK.

Any 3d object can be loaded into your game using dbLoadObject, you can than use dbPositionObject and dbRotateObject to position and move your characters around in the world.

------------------------------------
Currently 1300+ lines of code into an "over-the-shoulder" action RPG with combat based on rag-doll physics.
Xeno360
Years of Service
User Offline
Im sorry im pretty sure this is a dumb question but... How do you make a dbo file? Is it made through one of the promoted editors like terrain editor etc?
ABXG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2009 19:13
If you search the forum you should find a free program called "Konwerter" (at least, I think that is it). This program takes a .X file and converts it into a .DBO file. You can create a .X file in nearly any 3D modeler.

------------------------------------
Currently 1300+ lines of code into an "over-the-shoulder" action RPG with combat based on rag-doll physics.
Xeno360
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm the terrain tutorial was very interesting. I have a question though. I assume a landscape can only be so big, since one huge object as terrain probley wouldnt go over to easy, right? how would i go about doing that? also, if i wanted to add buildings and such, should they be seperate models added onto the terrain object, or built right into the terrain model?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 23:30:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 23:30:37