Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Questions Before I buy...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 07:05 Edited at: 1st May 2009 15:04
I am looking to buy FPSC 10, but have some questions first.

1)Can I use Blender to create 3d models? What format should models and animations be saved as?

2)I hear you can modify the source code. Does it cost extra to do so?

3)Besides Models/Animation/Texture softtware if I want more models, what other software would I need to buy to create a complete game.

4)How does FPSC 10 works with outdoor areas? How about urban areas?

5)I found how BIG the worlds can be, but how big is this really? Like could someone post a screen of the largest map possible with a human model for comparison.

6)I read you cant create terrain such as mountains and stuff in FPSCreater 10. Is it possible to create these in an external program and import a hieghtmap? If so any program suggestions?

7)Is it possible to have vehicles?

8)Can you easily modify the Hud(or remove it altogether?)
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "1)Can I use Blender to create 3d models? What format should models and animations be saved as? "

Yes. You should export them as .x format and download the (free) entity creator. It will create all of the necessary files for you and you just enter the information.

Quote: "2)I hear you can modify the source code. Does it cost extra to do so? "

No, but you need DBPro to do so, and that does.

Quote: "3)Besides Models/Animation/Texture softtware if I want more models, what other software would I need to buy to create a complete game."

That's basically it, I've used free software to make all my stuff. There's Firma for segments, signs etc, and the free fpsc entity maker for entities.

Quote: "4)How does FPSC 10 works with outdoor areas? How about urban areas?"

I don't own X10 but I'm pretty sure it can handle a lot.

Quote: "5)I found how BIG the worlds can be, but how big is this really? Like could someone post a screen of the largest map possible with a human model for comparison."

To be honest you probably won't use the maximum size of the level, FPSC lags a lot, and once you get that big it'll probably be unplayable.

Quote: "6)I read you cant create terrain such as mountains and stuff in FPSCreater 10. Is it possible to create these in an external program and import a hieghtmap? If so any program suggestions?"

You can't create them IN Fpsc X10 that I know of, but there is software called T.ed (or something) which is free(I think) and can export to .x format.

Quote: "7)Is it possible to have vehicles? "

I believe it is with Plys mod, but I'm not sure I've never tried it.

Quote: "8)Can you easily modify the Hud(or remove it altogether?) "

I'm pretty sure it is, never tried though.
The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 18:09 Edited at: 1st May 2009 18:10
Uhh make sure you can run FPSCX10. Go to this link for more information.

I want a new computer!
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
AFAIK, no source is availabe for X10.
zachrb
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys! If I have anymore questions I will ask. I am on a notebook now, which probably CAN run it just laggy lol. My new desktop I am building with have a 260 OC, 3 Ghz Dual Core, 4 GB ram so it should be pretty good. hehe.
castek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 19:11
Correction:

Quote: "2)I hear you can modify the source code. Does it cost extra to do so?"

The source code is not available for FPSC X10 only X9

Quote: "7)Is it possible to have vehicles?"

PLys mod only works in x9 so I dont think it's possible to have vehicles in X10

"The Beginning is the end."
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
INTEL PENTIUM DUAL E2200 2.2 GHz 4 Gb RAM GeForce 9600 512 mb
zachrb
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm so it sounds like FPS x9 is almost better than FPS x10? Does FPS x10 have anything better than the orignal other than the new graphical features Directx 10 allows? Is one better than the other performance wise, more stable etc.

How great of a graphical leap are we talking about here with x10?

Also I could not find that terrain make on google.. Anyone else use anything. I was some outside town areas. Not huge open areas like farcry but some what open. Giving players some choice on how to make it to the destination.

I was looking in the store, and it appears that there are multiple people selling stuff? I saw one category for TGC but the rest seemed to be non-TGC stuff. Is this correct?

Also regarding the store. Is the preview images really how good these models look cause some look really low-res? What is a good poly count for a person in x10?

Also regarding the store. If I buy a model is it covered under the no royalty fee if I sell or give away my game?
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh right, didn't see you were only looking at X10.
zachrb
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it possible to get a demo for x10? I would like to compare the graphics of both. I dont mind the graphics of x9 except for the people which look horrible, although I am assuming user created content looks better?

Also could someone answer the questions of my above post?

Thanks.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 04:23
Quote: "How does FPSC 10 works with outdoor areas? How about urban areas?"

Very well. Very well indeed.

Quote: "I found how BIG the worlds can be, but how big is this really? Like could someone post a screen of the largest map possible with a human model for comparison."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLJobZlLttg&feature=related

Quote: "I read you cant create terrain such as mountains and stuff in FPSCreater 10. Is it possible to create these in an external program and import a hieghtmap? If so any program suggestions?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-_UIsGZ0IM&feature=related
zachrb
Years of Service
User Offline
What about these questions?

Quote: "Hmm so it sounds like FPS x9 is almost better than FPS x10? Does FPS x10 have anything better than the orignal other than the new graphical features Directx 10 allows? Is one better than the other performance wise, more stable etc.

How great of a graphical leap are we talking about here with x10?

Also I could not find that terrain make on google.. Anyone else use anything. I was some outside town areas. Not huge open areas like farcry but some what open. Giving players some choice on how to make it to the destination.

I was looking in the store, and it appears that there are multiple people selling stuff? I saw one category for TGC but the rest seemed to be non-TGC stuff. Is this correct?

Also regarding the store. Is the preview images really how good these models look cause some look really low-res? What is a good poly count for a person in x10?

Also regarding the store. If I buy a model is it covered under the no royalty fee if I sell or give away my game? "

Also is there a COMPLETE list of all the improvements from FPSC x9 and FPSC x10
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is it possible to get a demo for x10?"

No.

Quote: "I was looking in the store, and it appears that there are multiple people selling stuff? I saw one category for TGC but the rest seemed to be non-TGC stuff. Is this correct?"

Correct. However "TGC stuff" is sort of a quasi-myth because AFIK they do not have an in-house art team. The official model packs are mostly made by different community and freelance artists who also have categories under their own names: Simon Benge, Bond1, Jon Fletcher, Rosstradamus, Steve-Paul, X-games and myself (though I'm sure I forgot someone). I think much of the included media with X9 is from Simon and X10 includes stuff from Simon, Bond and Jon.
zachrb
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks! Can I find a complete comparison chart regarding FPSC x9 and x10 anywhere? The FPSC x10 website contains so little information. I am trying to determine if its worth the extra money for my purposes.
The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2009 14:43 Edited at: 3rd May 2009 14:43
Quote: "Uhh make sure you can run FPSCX10. Go to this link for more information.
"

I want a new computer!
zachrb
Years of Service
User Offline
That link just tells you if you can run it. I am looking for a comparison chart to see what exactly x10 has that x9 doesnt.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2009 19:55 Edited at: 3rd May 2009 19:56
Quote: "Also is there a COMPLETE list of all the improvements from FPSC x9 and FPSC x10"

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=150022&b=33

Edit - Its not complete but it covers the majority.
zachrb
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea I know, i created that thread as it pertains only to x10.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 00:17 Edited at: 4th May 2009 00:19
Loads of typing. Hope you get the way im going to lay it out.

Bloom (X9 = NO can be done with mod) (X10 = YES)
Fresnel water (X9 = NO can be done with mod) (X10 = YES)
Better scripting commands (X9 = YES) (X10 = NO)
Need a super fast pc to run (X9 = NO) (X10 = YES)
Source Code allowing mods (X9 = YES) (X10 = NO)
Bug free to certain extent (X9 = YES) (X10 = Yes once V1.09 is done)
Dark AI (X9 = NO) (X10 = YES)
N & S mapping aka better textures (X9 = NO) (X10 = YES)
Shader model 4 implementation (X9 = NO) (X10 = YES)
Dynamic animated soft shadows (X9 = NO) (X10 = YES)
soft particles (X9 = NO) (X10 = YES)
Ragdolls (X9 = NO) (X10 = YES)
LOD (X9 = NO) (X10 = YES)
GPU instancing 50+ characters in one room(X9 = NO) (X10 = YES)
Texture arrays not all the characters look alike (X9 = NO) (X10 = YES)
Timer based performance (X9 = NO) (X10 = YES)
Test game graphics GUI (X9 = NO) (X10 = YES)
Physics (X9 = YES) (X10 = YES but better)
TGC Store supported (X9 = YES) (X10 = NOT YET)

On top of this X9 has better support although X10 now has a thriving community on another website that is growing rapidly and we have many free models, media and scripts there just like this site has for X9.

Thats it in a nut shell.

Note FPSC X9 better scripting commands allows for nearly anything to be done including drivable vehicles.

zachrb
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow amazing list! Thanks. Whats this other site you are talking about for x10?
Coach Shogun 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 03:15
My guess is The Next is advertising for the Community Forums, am I right? Here's a link to the main site: http://fpsc-online.com/

The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 17:55
Quote: "That link just tells you if you can run it. I am looking for a comparison chart to see what exactly x10 has that x9 doesnt. "

I am giving you the link for the requirements for X10 because you might buy it and not have the requirements for it.

I want a new computer!
zachrb
Years of Service
User Offline
Well my notebook barely meets the specs but I am building a new pc and it blows them away

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-16 09:06:14
Your offset time is: 2024-10-16 09:06:14