Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Removal of unneeded libs. (2D only)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
In message
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=139830&b=22

there was talk about removing the Networking library as it ties into the august 2007 directx 9.0c sdk and as such can be a pain for machines that dont have that version of DirectX.

I thought this was great and went ahead and implemented the shell functions and noticed that my program shrunk in size a little.

I then proceeded to test out what other libs I could safely remove. The following is that list:

FTP.lib
Multiplayer.lib <--- as we know
Particles.lib
World.lib
Light.lib

All those seem to have some initial setup needed by DarkGDK when it is initalising and so are included into your program wether you are using them or not.

Due to the fact we are using DirectX9 we are unable to remove the biggie (Basic3D) as directX9 doesnt have any base 2D stuff.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
did yoiu manage to write dummy libs to replace th estandard dblibs?

this could be of good use to various users with various needs. for example i never use the ftp.lib.

and in many projects i don't use partiles too, so this would help to shrink exe size!
AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 18:22
Quote: "I thought this was great and went ahead and implemented the shell functions and noticed that my program shrunk in size a little."

I don't really see the point in doing this to make the program smaller. I mean the size difference will be really small and it wont improve the performance so... Why bother?

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
if there is an option for that, it's better than no option at all!

the same goes for the multiplayer.lib & dx march 2007. if there's an option to use later dx sdk, it's nicer than no option at all!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 23:31:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 23:31:11