Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / reminiscence

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 04:57 Edited at: 4th May 2009 05:02
i haven't composed anything in what seems like ages, so to get back in the swing of things, i made this short and sweet little piece today in a matter of... maybe 5 hours off and on? anyways, i wanted to get away from composing songs purely from a single vsti and no other, because frankly, thats a bad habit to get into and i had quite an addiction to it. lol. this piece which i have dubbed 'reminiscence' is made with a variety of soundfonts (including a rather sh*tty sounding [btw, since when did TGC have a cursing checker thing?] acoustic guitar soundfont haha) and a cymbal wav sample. i personally think this composition it pretty bad haha give it a listen and tell me what you think

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 00:04
Nice beat with the percussions, and the composition wasn't bad at all. It reminded me of some SNES game but I can't put my finger on it.

Quote: "btw, since when did TGC have a cursing checker thing?"

As long as I can remember.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 02:51
Thanks man, and actually, now that you mention it, it sort of reminds me of the song 'yuna's theme' from final fantasy x

any other comments or suggestions or critique or anything are appreciated

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 12:52
Yes, the first bars of the verse are very reminiscent to the town theme from Final Fantasy I as well.

Sounds good, like the percussion (I've been working on something similar for my current WIP track *hint* )
Apart from that, ok, using different vi's are probably not bad practise, but whenever the same instruments offer several patches that are needed, I believe it is better to just use them since they probably mix better with one another. This is somewhat evident in parts of your song where the instruments don't quite make for a perfect blend between the different patches.
(Of course, if you need some patch that is only in another vi, then go use it).

And yes, the cymbal sample wasn't very good, but you still get the idea
Well, as Grandma said, nice composition though. But (you can guess it if I give you this hint - it's actually not the reverb!).
That's right, the ending is rather abrupt once more. I could personally see a fade-out of the intro part as a proper ending for this song. Just a suggestion

da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 14:17
Thanks for the tips and yes, i need to work on my endings the instrument selection and overall composition will be much better in my next song as i now have ESQLSO in my collection and i'll probably be purchasing sometime within the next few months i might also buy a sampler, so i am deciding between Kontakt, Gigasampler, and sampletank 2 (i'm sort of leaning toward sampletank as it is the cheapest)

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 12:07
I'd say go for Kontakt. Of course, I know nothing about the other two, so you shouldn't take me to seriously here. Kontakt is great though.

(I recently bought a laptop and now I can't find my Kontakt 3 box, even though its been standing on a shelf right next to my computer for almost one and a half year. How very annoying isn't that (yes, the key was of course printed on the box).
Just hope I'll find it soon ).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 18:23:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 18:23:39