Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Error: Unable to start the program "etc etc"..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 17:24
I am running windows xp home edition
i usually make some C++ programs without any such problems, now after i heard of the dark GDK i liked it, so in my first lesson, following the tutorial "getting started", it sent me an error when i started debugging
unable to start the program C:\........etc
what is the problem?
i've got microsoft visual studio 2008 express edition
i've got microsoft directX SDK aug 2007
i've got the dark GDK
and all of them are installed
so what is the problem?
WH8
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know. I can start the program.

Did you run the Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition compiler before you installed DarkGDK? You need to run the compiler before you install DarkGDK.

If the problem still persists, please write out the entire error message. I will see if I can be of any help.
ABXG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 22:33 Edited at: 4th May 2009 22:36
If you have the student addition that the DarkGDK won't add the library references properly.

Do the following and everything should work:

1. Select "Tools" from the menu bar.

2. Navigate to "Projects and Solutions -> VC++ Directories".

3. Select "Include files" from the drop down box.

4. Add a reference to "DarkGDK Install DirectoryInclude".

5. Select "Library files" from the drop down box.

6. Add a reference to "DarkGDK Install DirectoryLibVS9".

The compiler should now have access to all the files it needs.

EDIT: Doh, I misread your post. If you haven't set up DarkGDK you could try compiling your project in release mode and running the release file, remember to run the release exe from the directory containing your project media. You could also try Googling the error number you get when running your project.

------------------------------------
Currently 1300+ lines of code into an "over-the-shoulder" action RPG with combat based on rag-doll physics.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 19:20
i am not getting any problems compiling the program, its says compile succeed, but its unable to run the exe, it says it is not a vaild win32 application.
and as i said, i used to write some C++ programs before getting the dark GDK, so yeah i have run the compiler before installing the dark GDK
WH8
Years of Service
User Offline
Does this problem only occur for the Getting Started program, or does it occur for all Dark GDK programs including any ones that you have made?

Note that if you want to create a Dark GDK program, you must first create a Dark GDK project. Here are the following steps:

1.) Left-click File.

2.) Highlight New.

3.) Left-click Project....

4.) Left-click Wizards.

5.) Left-click DarkGDK - Game.

6.) Type in a name for your game beside the word Name:.

7.) Left-click Ok.

The above will create a Dark GDK project.

Please let me know if using the above steps solves your problem. If it does not, please answer the question that I asked at the top of this post.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 15:06
well, when i select darkgdk - game and it creates the basic template, i can compile it without errors

but when i start debugging (in release and debug mode) it says : "Unable to run the program : c:\documents and settings\hass\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\hassan\hassan\debug\hassan.exe"

here's the program (the basic template which starts with DarkGDK - Game)

and sometimes it says " c:\documents and settings\hass\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\hassan\hassan\debug\hassan.exe is not a vaild win32 application"
WH8
Years of Service
User Offline
I actually am uncertain how to solve your problem.

Did you install the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable? If you did not, perhaps that is what is causing the problem? To install the redistributable, you might need to uninstall and reinstall Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition. You might need to uninstall DirectX SDK, and Dark GDK before you uninstall Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 17:26
Ok all reintall VC++, directX and dark GDK, so, should i install them like
1-VC++
2-DirectX
3-DarkGDK
?
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 17:18
i reinstalled the three and still getting the same error, any suggestions?
WH8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 03:57 Edited at: 9th May 2009 03:58
Did you install the redistributable? If you don't know, you can go to Add or Remove Programs to check. You are looking for the words "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729" in the list. Make sure that it is in the list. If you do find it in the list, it means that you do have the redistributable installed, and if that is the case, it means that I don't know what is causing your problem.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 15:40
I have the redistributable, and i reinstalled VC++ more than 3 times, the problem still occurs, looks like VC++ can't create a .exe file, even minor consule applications aint working, compile succeed but unable to run the program, what should i do?
Wayne C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 10:52
Have you downloaded and installed the Dark GDK November 2008 update available from

Here - http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkgdk/DarkGDK_Update_NOV08.zip

Warning - TGC Conventions can seriously damage your memory loss, I just remembered who I was after the 2004 Convention (Previously known as Deepblue).
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 14:19 Edited at: 10th May 2009 14:20
Make sure the exe is actually created in that folder.

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 21:52
ok, looks like the problem isnt from the GDK, my visual C++ is creating corrupted exe files, even when i do:file>>new>>project>>win32>>win32project>>debug
it says compile succeed 0 errors 0 warrnings and then unable to run the program error,
same with
file>>new>>project>>win32>>win32consuleapplication>>simple code>>debug
compile succeed 0 errors 0 warrning and the unable to run the program message, that is when i debug it from VC++, when i go to the directory where it is saved visual studio 2008\projects\abcd\debug\abcd.exe it says visual studio 2008\projects\abcd\debug\abcd is not a vaild win32 application
what is going on..
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
ABXG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 22:35
Make sure that even when you are in debug mode you use the /MT runtime library. I find my program doe not work in debug mode when I use the /MTd runtime library.

Right click your project in the solution explorer and select "Properties".
Navigate to "Configuration Properties -> C/C++ -> Code Generation".
On the top left of the window make sure you have either "Debug" or "Active(Debug)" selected.
Change the Runtime Library to /MT.

------------------------------------
Currently 1300+ lines of code into an "over-the-shoulder" action RPG with combat based on rag-doll physics.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 22:48
Quote: "Make sure that even when you are in debug mode you use the /MT runtime library. I find my program doe not work in debug mode when I use the /MTd runtime library.

Right click your project in the solution explorer and select "Properties".
Navigate to "Configuration Properties -> C/C++ -> Code Generation".
On the top left of the window make sure you have either "Debug" or "Active(Debug)" selected.
Change the Runtime Library to /MT.
"

that didnt make any diff :/
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 22:53
Quote: "Have you downloaded and installed the Dark GDK November 2008 update available from

Here - http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkgdk/DarkGDK_Update_NOV08.zip"

>_> now when i run the dark gdk project it triggers breakpoints...that thing screwed up my darkgdk..
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 20:27
The problem is still happening, cant find a solution

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 01:31:12
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 01:31:12