Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Dusty's Hope

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 16:48 Edited at: 14th Aug 2003 01:46
Hi gang, well todays the day Iam starting my first Adventure game. After Mr purps Cherry Pie, and the Bomberman clone I helped work on, its time to create my vision of a fun game. Taking into account various games that have been made / or not completed with little feed back (ie there you go play this), I though ild do a kind of progess report. Depending on how it goes, it could be a shining example of how to get you game going ... or more likely the how to waste 500 hours in 3 easy steps.

The Engine

If anyone remembers I made a program that runs in Lightwave that exports whole scenes into DBPro, then depending on the name of the object it let DBpro react to the collision in different ways (i.e. enemy damage, power ups, keys, edges of the map). I used this in my first game Mr Purps Cherry Pie. The code has now been optimised, 1 more day and ill put in quest triggers and were off. So level making is ready to go. Now here I think is the first step to the destruction of my game. I could run off and start making the thing.

But NO iam going to be strong, plot and characters first (stamps foot for effect).

Game style

Its not any particular genre but if you imagine any indiana jones game with Mario 64 and with nintendo quest dialogs (aka Zelda) your kind of getting there. Its not an attempt to recreate any particular game rather to show what ild like to see in a game. Ive always admired the way Mario 64 after 20 mins let you explore the world in whatever order you pleased. Along with the need to collect stars to open various doors. I just couldnt wait to see what was behind them. So thats in because I love the concept.

Plot/Characters

Okay lets face it Mr Purps had no plot, except the desperate urge to collect cherries. So Iam taking my plot very very seriously, as luck would have it most of the engine interaction with objects has already been done. So my next challange is to create a method of flags and quests, and get that working to create a Plot.

Ive started on the characters that are most needed in an indiesk adventure game. And I need at least 5 characters as points for quests in the town. 1 person is going to have to be a man with a fez. You cant go collecting rare treasure without a man in a fez in it somewhere. Hopefully with a few characters I can drift into locations and then finally a draft of a plot.

Summing up

So thats it so far, all text . Ah well prepare yourselves for black and white, oh yes pencil drawings on .... wait for it lined paper. No money is to great for my project! Till next time ....

Okay heres 3 of the characters in the game, meet Dusty with a backpack, and Fez er with a fez is going to provide equipment (torches ropes etc), Arty (Art Dealer) is now going to the main person to get quests from. Remember these are inital sketches and the first process to getting what i have in my head to a 3D model.

Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2003 23:16 Edited at: 13th Aug 2003 23:18
heh, "pathfinder" thats the name of my bike
thats one original game u have there man, keep expanding your plot and ull have a hit for sure . Now to ask u what i ask every person with a game since 2 days ago. Can I show a preview of your game on my site?

let me know, cause i would love to see how this adventure game turns out

thanks
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 01:48 Edited at: 16th Aug 2003 16:37
Bit far away yet, but I intend on getting a good beta for the town area up by the end of the month. Getting close mind holidays etc ..... Hmmm great next character will be a Travel Salesperson .

... Turns out Ive decided a Travel Salesperson was a totally rubbish idea. So after getting a bit of a mental block, I turned to brainstorming What features I want in the game. Heres the list, ill post the brainstorm sketch. Iam not sure If ive done this backwards but its a bit hard to make a plot without knowing the characters and the general features of the game ... doh!

1/ Your first goal through the game will be to collect Fame, This fame will open up quests to new locations. Fame is gained by the completion of a Quest or to a lesser extent by finding small items.

2/ Special Coloured 'Keys' Will open secret doors all over the game. So when you visit a place the player must remember where it was, thell be good treasure to be found. You cannot find a different coloured Key in one of these treasure rooms.

3/ There will be items to collect to open up bonus features.

4/ Theres going to be a 'Bargin Bucket' mini game where you get random items. Some good, others plain awful. This will be run by an old man.

5/ Equipment can be bought or found on the floor. These include so far .. Rope, Food, Trainers, Compass, Torch.

So now I have an old man in the game, we need more female characters at least 2. Have to get them from the plot side. So plot will be next!

till next time ....

Okay here's the brainstorm of goals and equipment.

Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 18:52 Edited at: 14th Aug 2003 18:56
damn it got posted twice
*read below*

Comin' soon: www.megatoncreations.tk
Now all I need is an actual game!
Also: Reviewing the games no one else bothered to.
Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2003 18:52

Well its creative, i got to tell ya that. You mentioned you have to collect fame, by doing quests? What kind of quests and just how do you ge famous for em? Good job with the game features, lol old man and bargain buckets, we need more games like this in the DB community. Good luck.

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2003 11:21 Edited at: 15th Aug 2003 11:31
Quest Update

Lol this think keeps changing, well guess thats a good thing to modify the game at this stage. Youll now get fame for finding that big old rare object, 3 per location. The locations are going to be big . Smaller items will also give you fame. Now youll get random quests to find certain objects for Arty. Arty will now give you a quest to find a semi rare object. So if you find a face mask for him youll get x5 or more fame than normal. The reason I changed it was if Arty told you to go get that big rare object in the Tribe Ruins, then you now know where to find it. Not many people just wonder off to their local ruins to find that rare object Arty wanted Also I would have to lock off all the other very rare objects till you completed the quest. Not very nice if you want to explore

Level Design

Iam going to start designing the first stage tonight (On Paper). Hopefully this will add to the plot, and character list. Still no programming or modelling as yet this has to be a first for me. Iam desperate to start modelling .... but thats what I always do. If I do start modelling up the lvl this weekend its going to be all blocks no detail. Slaps Hand!

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
This is a wonderful game idea, and I love the fact that your basing it off of Mario 64 - that was a great game. May I suggest you also add a bit of Banjo Kazooie / Tooie into it? If you have not played those games for the N64 - SHAME ON YOU! Great refrences

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
I am shamed

For those of you that cant remember Mt Purps, I made it as an xmas pressy last year
http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=3554&b=5

No speed checking and a to many checks for collision kind ruined it but, all the lvls were done in lightwave. Also It took like 20 hours to make so not too bad

Cash Curtis III
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 03:54
good addition keep going.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 06:38
The illustration is strong but i think the story is wavering a little, Im sure you will hone it down. sounds good!

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2003 16:46 Edited at: 16th Aug 2003 16:56
Not gone near Lightwave yet, which has to be good.

Epilogue

Dustys hope is to be come the greatest treasure hunter in all the land. This day became one step closer while searching some caves. Within the cave he found a door of almost magical design. If ever there was treasure to be had, it would be through that door. However to desecrate such a masterpiece of carving would be like destroying the treasure within. Approaching the design he notices that there are 3 triangle holes suggesting a form of key. With hope in his heart and the constant need for fame within the soul, he leaves to find the keys and his future.

... This will be the start of the game, I want to make an animation of this for the intro . Still using my trusty dusty notepad and pen I need to weave the plot around some of the inital npc's now.

Quick blured ... sighs sketch of gate

Oh and i need more NPC's

Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2003 02:35
Hey Pathfinder.

tell me more about this program you created for lightwave!

Please!

"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2003 05:00
hmm.......Interesting. Tell me have you updated it? Or released A tutorial on it? I'd kill to have this at my disposal!

Tell me more!!!!

"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2003 11:53
This engine sounds interesting.....how do you do triggers?

And what exactly is exported from lightwave, a file containing information about what and an .x file?

Is it strictly possible to do an 'engine' in any version of DB, as we cannot strictly change the core structure of it?

"It's amazin' what you can do with a computer and access to t'internet"
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
lol. What dbscene does is

exports object
:location rotation scale (ie characters trees)
exports light
:colour distance cone angle
exports camera position rotation

Then what you do is convert all the objects into .x via the dstorm.co.jp plugin. The whole scene is reloaded into DBpro and i think DB too.

For triggers I just called the objects different names IE goal,block then the routine stored them up and used them. I should really do a tutorial on it. Sadly I havent got Lightwave atm, should have it back in a week or so getting a USB dongle upgrade . Saying that I do have my Mr Purps cherry Pie. Perhaps I could post the code for the first lvl with lightwave scene/models? Mr Purps was interesting because it had a goal object and invis block objects that were released if you collected all the cherries in the lvl. Monsters did damage if you ran into them.
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
heres Mr Purps link to see what iam talking about

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=5485&b=5

ill release the source and lightwave stuff tonight, but atleast you can see what it does. This is patch 4 remember. Runs well quick in patch 5 Its actually playable now bah
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2003 23:51
ive just come back to this, forgot about it. Thanks for explaining it.

"It's amazin' what you can do with a computer and access to t'internet"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 13:19:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 13:19:13