Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / I'm (sort of) back!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 20:21
Hello all, I've been absent from these forums for a while for a couple of reasons. Firstly, after having a very stressful time making 'Acid Factory MKII', encountered many a bug and glitch along the way, I effectively rage-quit FPSC for a while. Secondly, I built my new computer over Easter, and loaded Windows 7 BETA on to it; this made me think X9 wouldn't work.

However, the lure of FPSC has draw me back, even if just to see wa's hapnin'

I plugged in the hard drive from my old computer and tried out FPSC. To my amazement, FPS Creator worked with Windows 7 64-Bit as did 'Acid Factory MKII, built in XP.. I hope someone finds this of interest, because I certainly did. I assumed X9 wouldn't work on Vista or 7, but it does on 7! Perhaps it's because it uses a BETA version of DirectX 11 instead of Vista's DX10.

Now, this has renewed hope in me. I wouldn't say "I'm back", because I'm unfortunately in exam season at the moment, and will likely be busy with my A-Levels for a while. Then I'm preping for Uni, partying and possibly holidaying. However, I'll be around, here and there.

For those of you who are interested, my new PC specs are:

- AMD Phenom 9950 (Black Edition) 2.6GHz
- nVidia Geforce 8800 GTX
- 2 x 2GB OCZ RAM (DDR2, 800Mhz)
- 2 x Seagate 500 GB HDDs (+ the old 160GB disc for the old PC)
- Asus M2N68-AM Motherboard (alright, but don't recommend)
- Running Windows 7 BETA (64-bit)

My average framerate on the CSS Stress-test is 253fps.

Do you guys think I should get XP Professional and dual-boot, or just wait for the full Windows 7 to come out?

AE

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2009 20:26
Im just buying a laptop and im installing Win7 RC untill the full comes out.Nice specs and welcome back.

A.K.A. chargerbandit
http://chargedstudios.fpschost.com/
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 20:30
Hey, I thought the same. I loaded W7 as my main OS, over Xp pro, but got up in the middle of the night, and for no reason at all, FPSC worked.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 6th May 2009 21:22
Just out of curiosity, are you running W7 Beta, or W7 RC. If you're running the Beta, I wouldn't get too excited because it expires next month I think. It's good to know that FPSC runs on 7, as I was thinking of installing the RC myself.

Brian.

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 21:42 Edited at: 6th May 2009 21:42
I have the beta version, but i am now downloading the Rc 1

Avenging Eagle-if you have the beta, here is the Rc1

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 23:50
Welcome back AE.

Exam season certainly is upon us; if you don't mind me asking, what are you studying currently, and what are you planning for uni?

Hope to see you around a bit more,
Paul

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 00:35
@ Apple Slicer:
I wasn't even aware of the release candidate, thanks!

@ Paul:
Currently, I'm taking Art (right in the middle of its 3-day exam now...), Media Studies and English Language. I also took an AS in Film Studies and passed earlier this year. At university, I'm going to be doing a 3-year Film Production course.

AE

Bendak11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 00:37
Are you going to finish GURU now AE?
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 00:49
Dont get too excited just yet. Sure its great that X9 worked on Windows 7 as I'm sure X10 will but TGC haven't optimised FPSC for 64-bit yet so you won't get any immediate benefits in the build times of your games or anything like that. You'll just be able to have more stuff running with FPSC which is no bad thing of course.

X10 supports multiple CPU cores though so there are some big gains to be had there.
The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 02:02
Quote: "- AMD Phenom 9950 (Black Edition) 2.6GHz
- nVidia Geforce 8800 GTX
- 2 x 2GB OCZ RAM (DDR2, 800Mhz)
- 2 x Seagate 500 GB HDDs (+ the old 160GB disc for the old PC)
- Asus M2N68-AM Motherboard (alright, but don't recommend)
- Running Windows 7 BETA (64-bit)"

NO freaking fare!

I want a new computer!
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 02:18
FPS Creator works fine in Vista, you just have to have DX9 installed. People assume that since they have DX10 they have DX9, when that isn't true.

Good to hear it works fine in Windows 7. How is it, by the way? I think I got Vista too soon to get the free/cheaper upgrade but hopefully it won't be too expensive if I decide to move up (although I will probably wait until I upgrade my computer for that).

Pride
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 02:22
Welcome back AE!!! I am surprised at the compatibility of FPSC...it always surprises me...anywho, goodluck with FPSC and Acid Factory!!!

PS.: Exam season sucks

"Tempo non é só unha teoría, senón unha forza"
Try and figure it out
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 02:24
Windows 7 by far is the best OS sent out by Microsoft. I was even eager to ditch Xp Pro. Yeah, crazy I know.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 09:55
I agree with Apple Slicer, 7 is really awesome, and I've gotten so used to it, I'm starting to try and do things on my XP laptop the 7 'way'. My only real reason for using XP in-tandem with 7 was for FPSC and a few ancient games, but most seem to run OK on 7. And programs designed to run on Vista, ofcourse, also seem to work too. It's the best of both worlds.

@ The FPS Creator Rocks
Quote: "NO freaking fare!"

It was my first ever build, so I wanted to make something that would last me right through Uni.

AE

The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 22:45
What is your PSU?

I want a new computer!
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 01:59
I believe it's a 650w Extra-Value one from ebuyer, though I might have to check that...

AE

Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 03:39
Quote: "@ Paul:
Currently, I'm taking Art (right in the middle of its 3-day exam now...), Media Studies and English Language. I also took an AS in Film Studies and passed earlier this year. At university, I'm going to be doing a 3-year Film Production course."

Good stuff, just tying up my A-Level in Art also, aswell as Biology and Computing. Film Production sounds ace, where are you looking at going?

Paul

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 09:46
I was lucky enough to get in to the 3-year course at the Arts Institute at Bournemouth (or whatever it's now called...). The course is supposed to be renowned but, hey, even if it isn't, it's three years by the seaside; who could ask for more?

AE

The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 17:31
@ AE, Zekegames keeps recommending me to get a 750 WATT PSU when the hardware I'm choosing takes less power than yours.

I want a new computer!
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
good to have you back

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 18:39
@ The FPS Creator Rocks:
Well, mine seems fine for me power-wise. The reason I chose it however was because it had (I think) 7 molex connectors and, with 2 6-pin-to-molex connector for supplimentary power for my graphics card, I need all the molexes I can get.

@ Bendak11:
Hmm, well not until I have a operating system that won't expire. I may be able to at least release something over the summer, but it might not be a big at originally intended, simply because of the limitations of the engine. 'Guru' might turn out to be a migration-only release, which means a bit more waiting.

If I'm honest, I'd quite like to participate in the Ultimate FPS Creator Contest.

AE

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 19:52
I'll wait for Windows 9.
By then, Vista will stop being supported and then I will give up on it.
I just got Vista, so I am sticking with it until it dies.

Quote: "Hmm, well not until I have a operating system that won't expire. "

That is the reason not to install XP on a dual boot. XP is dead.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 11:19:02
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 11:19:02