Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Help with DarkNet

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 20:32
How do you use p2p?
or can u switch IP addresses whilst connected to another?
OR can say, we are in the middle of a game hosted by 'a'. 4 other users connect to the game ( b,c,d,e). when user 'a' leaves, can the game host be transfered to another logged on user ( b,c,d,e)?

JRC
Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 01:21
There are many different approaches to 'peer to peer'. You could do what you are suggesting where if the server currently in use shuts down, clients switch to a predefined backup server hosted by a client who is still available.

Previously I had a discussion about peer to peer here and suggested an alternative method. I said the following:

Peer to peer is possible with DarkNet, the main problem is the need for port forwarding which can be overcome with DarkNet's Universal Plug and Play commands. I had a discussion with 'Alfa x' about this a while ago, here is what I said: "I have not attempted this before, but off the top of my head I would achieve this by giving each client three or more instances. 1. mnConnect to main server, 2. mnStartServer to receive data from other clients, 3+. mnConnects to other clients. Upon connection to the main server, the server sends the client's information to all other clients so that they can connect to the new client.".

DragonsLair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 10:16
So wouls the 'backup' server work if as well connecting to an already set up connection, also create a host connection but not send/recieve anything unless the host disconnects?

JRC
Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 17:42
Yes, you can setup as many host (mnStartServer) or connect (mnConnect) instances as you want and deal with them at the same time.

To create more instances simply increase the number of instances specified during mnStart and then use mnConnect, mnStartServer or mnStartBroadcast on each instance. When finished with an instance use mnFinish on it; you can reuse it if necessary.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 01:30:07
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 01:30:07