Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Sinking characters

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,
Im new to FPSC, and I've been experimenting with characters. I noticed that my characters (when dead) just sink partially beneath the ground level.
Does anyone know how to fix this? Ive tried altering the physics of the entities, but this seems not to work.
Any advice would be appreciated.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 21:17 Edited at: 7th May 2009 21:17
We need to know following

1. Version of FPSC
2. System Specs
3. What characters are you using in this test

Please give that then maybe we can help. Also we have a bug support forum for a reason.

Musk_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 21:55 Edited at: 7th May 2009 22:09
Hello,
(1)I'm using the FPSC free edition.
(2) My system specs are: Pentium (R)4 CPU, 2.80GHz , 1.0GB Ram
Windows XP Pro version 2002,
sp 3
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS.
(3) I am using characters I made myself, these were set up using the animated Milkshape skeleton which I got from the forums.
I noticed that the female character Aiko (or something like that) behaved in a similar way on my system, but the ColonelX guy was okay.
Does any one know what could be the cause of this anomally?
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2009 22:27
OK the characters you made are they the only characters doing this or are the stock ones also acting this way. If you can give a screen shot of the bug that would be very useful so we can help you get this fixed.

Musk_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Both the characters I make and some of the stock ones as I said, show this behaviour. I read somewhere that the sinking only happens when you use the old Milkshape skeleton. It has to do with the way the coordinates were set up. The answer is to get a newer version of the skeleton, but I've looked everywhere and can't find one.
Can anyone point to a link where one could get an updated version?
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 01:08
when you save a x file in jt xfile you should use the x,y,z to coordinates the characters. plus if you have the update of fpsc it is less likely to run in this problem. v115 and 114 fix this problem. if you are using 109 you will have this problem, but the way to solve it is x,y,z.

more than what meets the eye
Musk_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi michael x, thanks for this info, I feel we're getting somewhere now.
Im using the free version of FPSC. Are there updates for this, I cant buy the full version just yet.
You mentioned saving the .x file with the JT exporter and setting the coordinates there. Could you elaborate more on this issue?
Remember that the sinking of the characters only happens when they fall down and die. If I manupilated the y coordinates do you reckon that would sort things out?
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 11:56 Edited at: 9th May 2009 11:58
its an initial bone joint problem in the earlier versions of FPSC.It's been taken care of in updated non free versions. The solution is posted here-
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=24&t=116184&p=0
but it may still require the purchaseing of a model program. Best way though is to by FPSC upgrade.
Also check in Nickeydudes FPSC guide for a more indepth/with pics version of the instructions.

Don't just say No it can't be done. Think outside the box.
Musk_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for this. I installed the 115 update onto my FPSC free ( it updated). And Ive been carrying out some tests.
The update does not seem to help the characters sinking. However on playing around with the coordinate settings of the JT exporter, I noticed some changes.
(1) If I left the 'Right handed' box checked, the characters would end up being flipped laterally ie a left handed model would become right handed and vice-versa.Characters also tend to back you when loaded in FPSC, and continue to do so even when attacking.
(2)Using the center at position offset button completely spoils the model in FPSC.
(3)Changing the x rotation values (making them + or -) can affect the sinking of the characters. The only problem is getting it perfectly right. The head and sideways stretched arms tend to sink the most, and there seems to be a bit of a trade-off. Its either the head sinking or the arms.
I've been experimenting with small x rotation values of about 5, ie either -5 or +5.
(4)I think the way you rig your skeleton to the mesh can affect the degree of sinking. I studied mine and noticed that on the side-ways view, the skeleton was anteriorly positioned. It may be that the animated skeleton may have its upper torso (especially the head) flush with the ground when 'dead'. This would explain the greater sinking of the head in comparision to the other parts of the body when the characters are destroyed.

I'm still trying to get it right, but in the meantime, if any user has arrived at the perfect .x exporter settings to prevent character sinking, could you please post them here for us to benefit from.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 10:29 Edited at: 11th May 2009 10:35
did you look in nickeydudes guide? the perfect milkshape export setings are there amongst many other extremely helpful things, but i fear that you would need fragmotion to alter the offending bone. this has been covered many many many times here on the forum.We already know the answer, wich is the origin bone or first bone placed for the model. BTW, you need to purchase FPSC before upgradeing to have the update work propperly. The other things you mentioned about assignment really dont make sense. I use milkshape all the time and never have these issues. Trying to help as much as I can but it won't happen if you don't have the full version of FPSC.

Don't just say No it can't be done. Think outside the box.
Musk_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. I would soon be getting the full FPCS as well as Fragmotion. I was able to fix the issue just by altering the values in the .fpe file.
Its great that you can alter an animated skeleton from Milkshape in Fragmotion and still keep the animations.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 11:15:25
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 11:15:25