Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / New Character problem - gun not showing

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2009 18:57
Hi, I just created a new character for myself, and used the MakeEntitiesFromXFiles utility to build my guy. It's actually a robot and is quite small. Everything is working fine, but for some reason the gun isnt showing. When I kill this character the weapon is there, but invisible. If you walk over where it was you pick it up. Any ideas on why the gun would not be showing? Obviously I have missed something. Maybe its a bone or something i need to put into the model. If not, is there a tutorial on creating your custom characters?
PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 04:00
What's the gun? And are you using X9 or 10?

CaptainZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 04:19
the gun is scifi\autoslug

and it's FPS Creator v1.15 (notthe new x10)
CaptainZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 10:39
still waiting for my last post to be 'approved'... been waiting about 7-8 hours now .. 20ish if you count since my first post. Starting to wonder if my last post was lost or something so I'll answer again:

the gun is scifi\autoslug (one that came with the software)

and the version is FPS CReator v1.15 which I got free through the TrialPay offers (X9? dont know what that is - its not X10 i know that, or i would have posted in that section)
Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
You will need to have a gunspot bone specified. I suggest if you're using fragmotion to import a new character and take a look at that.

Visit my site http://www.fpsmodels.com for models and media for fps creator.
CaptainZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 07:46
thanks very much for your reply. I downloaded the trial version of fragmotion and tried importing a character. The character I obtained from here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=24&t=98361&p=0

Basically I want to create a bunch of robot enemies who have no animation like what this person has done.

When I import i can see the bones you are talking about. I tried merging one of my characters with the skeleton from this model, but no matter what I do, the gun will not show. It actually seems like it may be sunken into the ground below the model.

I could seriously do with a tutorial on creating your own characters for FPSC. There are a zillion around on creating everything else (guns for example). Anyone know of any?
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
The SWORDS/TALON bots in the post linkes are as simple as can be. They don't even have a skeleton.

All you need is a bone or object (like a single, tiny triangle) named FIRESPOT. Once you have placed the FIRESPOT where you want it, make sure you have it linked via hierarchy to the model (or the model's skeleton if it has one). It might take a few tries to get the firespot orientation correct but there's really not much to it.

Make sure you are deleting BINs and DBOs each time you make a new .X file and delete the character from your scene, save (to clear library panel) then place it anew each time you test.
CaptainZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 14:42
thanks again for the help. The FIRESPOT bone was the one i needed as you said, and I got it working! It took a few days of experimentation, but persistance beats resistance as they say. Thanks again guys

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 11:15:13
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 11:15:13