Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Got some tips for a survival-horor game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi! I´m working on a survival-horor game and I wanted to ask some Programers with more experience if you would give me some tips.

Like: How much levels should it have? or How many weapons should be in a level? or something.

I´m working now on my 1st level. I used a lot of the free downloads from the Game Creator Store.

Hope you can help me...
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2009 07:25 Edited at: 11th May 2009 07:33
Quote: "

Survival horror is a subgenre of action-adventure video game inspired by horror fiction. These games make the player vulnerable by providing them with less ammunition and fewer heavy weapons than other action games. Although combat is a part of the gameplay, the player must ration their ammunition by evading enemies and avoiding direct confrontation. The player is also challenged to find items that unlock the path to new areas, and solve puzzles at certain locations. Games make use of strong horror themes, and the player is often challenged to navigate dark maze-like environments, and react to unexpected attacks from supernatural monsters.

De-emphasized combat
Survival horror games are a subgenre of action-adventure game,[2] where the player is unable to fully prepare or arm their avatar.[3] The player must face a large number of enemies,[9] but ammunition is more sparse than other games,[10] and powerful weapons such as rocket launchers are rare.[3] Thus, players are more vulnerable than in other action games,[3] and the hostility of the environment sets up a narrative where the odds are weighed decisively against the avatar.[1] This shifts gameplay away from direct combat, and players must learn to evade enemies or turn the environment against them.[6] Games try to enhance the experience of vulnerability by making the game single player rather than multiplayer,[9] and by giving the player an avatar who is more frail than the typical action game hero.[10]

The survival horror genre is also known for other non-combat challenges, such as solving puzzles at certain locations in the game world,[6] and collecting and managing an inventory of items. Areas of the game world will be off limits until the player gains certain items. Occasionally, levels are designed with alternative routes.[5] Levels also challenge players with maze-like environments, which test the player's navigational skills.[6] Levels are often designed as dark and claustrophobic to challenge the player and provide suspense,[3][11] although games in the genre also make use of enormous spatial environments.[1]

Enemy design
A survival horror storyline usually involves the investigation and confrontation of horrific forces,[12] and thus many games transform common elements from horror fiction into gameplay challenges.[3] Early releases utilized camera angles seen in horror films, which allowed enemies to lurk in areas that are concealed from the player's view.[13] Also, many survival horror games make use of off-screen sound or other warning cues to notify the player of impending danger. This feedback assists the player, but also creates feelings of anxiety and uncertainty.[12]

Games typically feature a variety of monsters with unique behavior patterns.[5] Enemies can appear unexpectedly or suddenly,[3] and levels are often designed with scripted sequences where enemies drop from the ceiling or crash through windows.[11] Survival horror games, like many action-adventure games, are structured around the boss encounter where the player must confront a formidable opponent in order to advance to the next area. These boss encounters draw elements from antagonists seen in classic horror stories, and defeating the boss will advance the story of the game.[1]
"

Source: Wikipedia

Quote: "How much levels should it have? or How many weapons should be in a level? or something."

Just to clarify, that's not really the 'programmers' job, it's up to the level designer. Which is you...it's up to you Best of luck with your game.

-Kravenwolf

Success is not final--failure is not eternal.
Game Creator 3000
Years of Service
User Offline
thank you, kravenwolf

I´m everywhere...
everytime...
look! I´m behind you!
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 03:39
I'm writing a guide that involves tips and tricks You Can use for these games (and many others)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 11:18:07
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 11:18:07