Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Still pointing to Ageia?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2009 03:33
Today I had to reinstall Windows. When it came to install dbpro it went OK until I tested a DarkPhysics demo. It said "invalid Physx runtime" and suggested an address: http://www.ageia.com/Physx/drivers.html which is subsequently opened in the browser. It redirects to http://www.ageia.com/physx/drivers.html which opens a "page not found" page, with some suggestions.
The point is that the needed physx system software is hard to find. I had to dig some pages and finally in the Nvidia drivers page, almost invisible near the bottom there is a physics software link. Not obvious from a normal user point of view. I know, I have in a Tools folder a +-5MB runtime, that still is Ageia, but anyone would question why to have an older runtime, probably not updated with the dbpro plugin.

Finally I clicked on the relatively hidden Nvidia page where I can download a 39MB physx system software (physx 9.090 Etc.). I installed it and now it works fine. I can not tell the difference at first hand between the 5mb runtime and the 39mb nvidia driver. When packing software for internet download, 34mb is a noticeable size factor.

All that said, I think DarkPhysics needs and upgrade just to point the final user in the right direction when the drivers are not found, in an elegant (not failed) way. I suppose one can bundle the Physx installer, but anyway the program will redirect to a wrong place.

May the 3d force B with U
tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 02:59
I personally am annoyed by Some TGC software. They very well know that DarkPhysics needs the lastest run times for Dark physics to run correctly, so why not link to the actual page where you can always get the latest runtimes. To me there is no reason why they can't link to the Nvidia site where you can get the lastest drivers and runtime. Same goes for DBPro period, They know that you need the october DX runtime to run correctly or whatever the runtime is that you need. So why not have a link that leads directly to the runtime or atleast start hosting those files on this site so that people don't always have to go on a search to get the proper programs or runtimes that they need.

When I buy a video game, usually the video game will have all the proper runtimes and dlls or what not to run the game on the disk that I am buying. If I remember right, the DB classic disk comes with directx 8.1 on the disk. So why not have the direct x 9 or whatever one it is that you need on their site for people with dbpro. As I said, I get pretty annoyed when I install Dbpro stuff and then have to do the famous TGC forum answer to all questions that you find on TGC forums......DO A SEARCH. I bought the programs from TGC, So why should I need to search the net for runtimes or link to runtimes just to run a program that they sell.

I personally think it is their responsibility to provide these things to start with. Bottom line though, If they can't bother to host these files on their site because perhaps "they are not making money from it", atleast they should use their heads for once and actually UPDATE what ever links that they have provided when necessary. TGC software I think is about the only software I own that requires me to do a search for the runtimes and whatever drivers I need to actually run their programs. Again, things that TGC should atleast provide proper links to if they can't host the files themselves.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 20:26:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 20:26:03