Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / New to Dark GDK and C++

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2009 02:32 Edited at: 20th May 2009 02:47
Hello,
I have been using DBC for about 7 years now and I feel I'm ready to move up a gear. So I thought why not move up two and go straight to Dark GDK!

I really have no concept of visual studio, what an SDK is, and have only had a brief rental of a library book on C#.
I've watched the GDK installation vid and read about it but I'm still a bit wary to jump into something I know nothing about.

So firstly, how do I get set up with GDK once I have downloaded Visual Studio 2008, Direct X SDK and Dark GDK? And where can I download them from.

Secondly, could anyone recommend some tutorials or a book for GDK to get me on track and up do date in this crazy face-paced world?
Would it be worth buying a C++ book?

Thanks for your time,

Obese

[edit]
oooh, I see there are some tutorials from the Dark Lord himself. I'll be sure to check them out.

I have to add: I can't believe this is free! What a great way to nurture indie coders. If I ever make anything worth selling I'll be glad to pay the licence fee. Thanks TGC.

There is an eight letter word. You can insert a letter into it or remove a letter from it without changing its meaning. Answer
Simfan147
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2009 04:28
I do it in steps then.

Visual Studio is a just an IDE ( A great one at that) It's free just like DarkGDK.

A SDK is a software development kit. It just helps with developing. Imagine trying to code your own Game Engine.

You can download all the software needed at (http://gdk.thegamecreators.com/?f=downloads)

You should install them in the order listed or at least install the GDK last. Once when you get them all installed (It took me over and hour) you should see new templates at the "New..." option. After that just start coding away.

I don't know any books about DarkGDK but you can check out http://darkgdk.wikia.com/wiki/DarkGDK_Programming_Wiki

I don't about a book but you can check out C++ DeMystified. It's just teaches the basic but it should help a lot.

I hope I helped.

TruShot Studio
infinite people
Years of Service
User Offline
You can also check out this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/default.aspx.

There are lot of samples codes and short games you can start with. Generally when you want to create a game take some time and search for existing stuffs similar to the objective you want to archive.

is there a witness in the house?
good people
EiD0LoN
Years of Service
User Offline
It's always worth learning C++.
rinku
Years of Service
User Offline
I am a beginner in Dark GDK. I have downloaded Dark GDK, DirectX Sdk and I have installed it in my PC. It is running well under Visual C++ Express edition.
Now I need some tutorial to beginning. I have tried to do as described in tutorial folder in Dark GDK. I need more step by step to learn Dark GDK and want to create my own 3d FPS game.
Thanks for your help.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2009 06:25
Hello again,
I'm not totally devoted to GDK yet as I'm in the middle of a project using DBC so that's my excuse for taking so long to reply .

Thanks for the advice, I downloaded visual studio but it's not the actual files just a downloader (I thought it was suspiciously small). My PC isn't online so is there somewhere with the full files for visual studio?

There is an eight letter word. You can insert a letter into it or remove a letter from it without changing its meaning. Answer

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 03:27:45
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 03:27:45