Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / "Encountered a problem and needs to close": Error Message

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2009 04:06 Edited at: 13th Jul 2009 18:56
EDIT: PROBLEM FOUND:

I found out from Lee that it was not a hardware problem. It was a software problem. There were no errors in file paths, etc. Basically, there were too many static entities (no, not dynamic), and FPSC just could not handle it. He has wanted me to send him a copy of all my files, but seeing as I am on university internet (which is heavily monitored for any kind of uploading), I have yet to do so. When I move, I will be able to, so hopefully, this problem will be prevented in the future, as he has expressed desire to make future editions more stable.

I'm not sure if this was the proper place to post this thread, but after reading through the searches, I'm not sure if this really is a 'bug' since it's been around for what seems to be, quite literally, a couple of years.

As people who have seen me around asking other questions know, I've been able to use the program at least decently for a while now. Unfortunately, I am now beginning to get an error message when trying to test my game. It will either crash right at the very end, or it finish with all of the preparations, allow me to press "Ok" and then crash.

I have read through the various threads on this topic, and I have yet to find a solution that works for me, so I was wondering if someone else has discovered anything.

I don't think that it's a problem with an entity/segment/general collision within the game because it will run fine sometimes. When I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, it worked once. Then, it didn't work anymore after that, even though I had changed nothing to my game. I tried deleting temp files. I tried cleaning up the .bin and .dbo. I have tried versions 13, 14 and 15 each with a full uninstall of the program, since simply 'Repair'ing didn't do me any good. I tried to run an older version of my game that had been working (in case it was some kind of new collision), and it still does nothing.

Obviously, this is rather frustrating. My game is now rather large, so to have to wait 20 minutes for it to get ready to test, only to have it not work... uninstall, reinstall (another long process)... wait another 20 minutes, have it work... test the exact same thing again and have it now suddenly not work... and need to repeat that process over and over in a gamble is not productive. I hope that someone has finally discovered the root of this problem and a solution.

Thanks a lot!

My specs are:
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

Intel® Centrino® Mobile Technology featuring:
• Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2050
o 1.60GHz, 2MB L2, 533MHz FSB
• Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset
• Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)

3GB of RAM

80GB (5400 RPM) Serial-ATA (SATA) hard disk drive

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-224MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2009 05:24
Ouch. (Looking at your specs.)

Anyway,

run Fpsc cleaner.
See if that works.

kms
Years of Service
User Offline
I know. Yeah... but it's the best I can do. I don't have the money for anything better. At least now I have 3Gb. Before it was 1.5...

Unfortunately, I'd done that already (to clean up the bin/dbo files)... and no lasting luck.
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2009 04:41 Edited at: 22nd May 2009 04:43
Sorry to bump this thread, but is there somewhere else I should have posted it? As I mentioned, I didn't know if it really fit in the 'Bugs' thread. Perhaps there is someone I should be e-mailing? I understand that I've been told my computer is not the best, but it still meets the basic requirements listed on the purchasing website, so I'd expect that it should be something else. I know it might not run the best, but as of now, it won't run at all.

I've been checking for any errors in my system, defragging, moving files, going back to old files that used to work, etc. Also, as of now, I'm trying to mess around with v13, but as I mentioned before, I have tried it with a total clean install on 13-15. I was on 14 when the problems first began.

Thanks again. Any tips appreciated, and if this is not the place to ask about this, just let me know.
Dark Goblin
Years of Service
User Offline
its your graphicscard i think...

... efxMod Developer!
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
Man, really? I guess I just wonder, though: if that's the case, why was it working before? I can't figure out what's changed between then and now. I tried older files and things, and they don't work anymore. Also, it does work once in a blue moon (even more rarely now, though), but if the graphics card couldn't handle it... shouldn't it have never worked?
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 08:39 Edited at: 25th May 2009 08:39
To those who think it might be the PC:

What about a computer with a graphics card, but it's technically worse in other aspects?

Satellite A75-S206
2GB RAM
250-300GB Hard Drive
2.8GHX Mobile Pentium CPU
ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 IGP with 64MB shared VRAM, up to 128MB

This is someone else's old computer I could maybe get used.

Also, I do still wonder about the question above. Buying a computer, used or not, is a big investment, so I don't want to do that when there's some inconsistencies. If I get a new machine and the problem still exists, that will be a major problem.
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 11:34 Edited at: 25th May 2009 11:36
EDIT: NVM.

"You are not smart! You are very un-smart!"
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 13:30
It could be that your computer can't handle certain .dlls used by FPSC. Could you, when you get the error, click the more info "link" and tell me the Mod Name? I get something similar to this when I run V115 because my GPU is old(GeForce 5200FX).

kms
Years of Service
User Offline
Unfortunately, there's no more info link. It really does just say: "The application has encountered a problem and needs to close. Extra Debug Info: 0 0" Also, I'm not using any mods, but I am currently using update 13 to try if I can get that one to work. In the search, some people were saying it was the most stable, although I'm not sure if that's true. I've also tried 14 and 15, and I was on 14 when the problems began.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 00:56
Hmmm...I thought you were talking about a generic Windows error message. I have no clue whats wrong with your FPSC.

kms
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, alright. Thanks, anyway.
Does anyone else have any suggestions? Even if not suggestions, does anyone have any ideas as to who I should be contacting, if these boards do not have the answer? It's, unfortunately, a rather serious problem, and from the looks of the 'search's that I've done, not a new one, so I'm hoping that somebody out there knows more than I do. Any help is very appreciated.
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2009 18:26 Edited at: 28th May 2009 19:49
Alright, how about this computer here:

Dell Optiplex 745s with:

Video Card: ATI Radeon x1300 256MB
Display: 20" widescreen flat panel
Memory: 2GB
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6400
HD: 250 GB
Windows XP

Do you all think that this machine should be good enough?

-----------------

Also, it seems that all of my uninstalling/reinstalling has created even more problems. When I was trying to load in one of my old backup files that used to give me the same error as the rest (described above), I now get the error: "Runtime error 105- File does not exist at line 3285". It occurs during the "[200] Loading entire universe from DBO and DBU files" stage. It doesn't even get to the end, anymore, which is when I always got the "Encountered a problem" error. I presume this means that something got misplaced, but how can I check what is at this 'line' that it speaks of? My primary file still crashes in the same way as initially, though ("Encountered a problem"). This is only for my older backup file. Also, I am now testing on v1.14 because that was the original update I was using. I was hoping that would restore whatever no longer exists at 3285, but there was no luck.

In addition, it turns out that for the silent crashes (no error message), FPSC left crash data files. I don't know how to interpret them, though, so if anyone has more information, I'd appreciate it. Again, it looks like I need to examine certain lines. How do I do this?

The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2009 01:57
Quote: "ATI Radeon x1300 256MB"

If you don't want it to go to 8 or under fps, I recommend getting a minimum of a ATI Radeon Xpress 2.x or a ATI Radeon HD 3200 or 3400. And for Nvidia, (Which I recommend) a Geforce 6200 or higher.

I want a new computer!
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, for the info, The Fps Creator rocks! Do you think that something like the "ATI Radeon x1300 256MB" would at least work for the time being (but be slow), or do you think I'd get the same kind of error I'm getting with my junk 'Integrated' card unless it's at the level you describe?

Also, do you know how I can be sure which cards are better or worse than what you've listed? For example, I was trying to look up the Geforce 6200, and there's all of these different series... like the 6 series or 9 series or 200 series, etc. It's a similar situation with the ATI Radeon cards. I tried looking at reviews as a way to tell, but they all vary so much based on who's the one writing them, it seems. If I'm going to invest, I want to make sure I get it right, you know? How did you choose yours?
The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2009 14:36
I choose mine by the performance and price and good reliability.
And to replace your crappy integrated video card, get a ATI Radeon x1300 256MB.

I want a new computer!
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2009 02:14 Edited at: 30th May 2009 02:14
Alright, thanks. So you think that the ATI Radeon x1300 256MB would at least work (as in, not give me this crazy error), but it might not be fast? I mean, I hope to get something better later on, but right now, I just need to get back to work, you know?
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
KK I would do a fresh install of fpsc and upgrade it to v1.15.

Once you done this transfer your old backupfiles to the files folder.

Now make sure you clean all your dbo and bin files using the cleaner.

Now try it.

Hope this helps best of luck

kms
Years of Service
User Offline
s4real: I actually tried that before, but to make sure, I repeated the process again now, and unfortunately, it still did not make any difference. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I have also contacted TGC through their support forms. They have been quite responsive, but it seems that, so far, they are also unsure as to what the definitive cause of the problem is, so continued suggestions would still be appreciated.

They also suggested that I e-mail Lee Bamber, but I cannot find his e-mail, so I'd be grateful if someone could let me know what it is. Thanks.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2009 02:12 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2009 02:13
lee(at)thegamecreators(dot)com

DonWON
Years of Service
User Offline
I had the same problems as you when I did a fresh install of Windows. I found that I had to have a few runtime evironments for it to work so make sure your updates are up-to-date. I think one was c++ and the other was java but not for sure.

I cant say that your grafix card wont work but I dont have the unluxury of having a slow GPU so no help there. You can as I did go to pricewatch or newegg and get a card for way cheap. I paid $39 for my Geforce 8500 GT 512mb so I would suggest that so you can have more fun no matter what.
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
@Thraxas: Thanks!

@DonWON: What do you mean when you say that you have to have a few runtime environments? My java is up-to-date because I keep pretty good track of that for other things, but how do I check something like c++? I know it's a language and all, but is it something that can be updated like java? I didn't even know it was running in the same way. Thanks!

Wow, $39 is a good price. I love newegg. I'm actually getting onto that Dell Optiplex 745 that I mentioned above tomorrow, so I'll be trying my stuff out there to see if it works better. I couldn't get myself a new graphic's card before (cheap or not) because I was on a laptop, but if this new card doesn't cut it, either, I can have more flexibility on the desktop.
DonWON
Years of Service
User Offline
To be honest I am not possitive on the runtime's cause I just noticed what had been updated on the windows update when I got the fpsc to run for the first time after new install. It was at the end of SP3 for sure on XP but I will check next week when my new motherboard comes in and I will have to redo windows yet again and surely will come accross the same problems again.
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I tried it out on that Dell Optiplex 745, and I'm still having the same problems, so that's kind of disappointing. I was sure to update stuff on it, though, since it was pretty behind. It didn't even have Divx 9 on there yet, so I hope I got all of these things you're referring to. Would you mind popping back to let me know if you run into the same problems when testing this upcoming week?
The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 13:55
I have a error message when I test my game! Click "View".

I want a new computer!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DonWON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 15:50 Edited at: 7th Jun 2009 15:57
Will be testing on Wed so will let you know. I read that you didnt even have dx9 on your laptop when you tested??? If this is true then that was your MAJOR problem on that system. FPSC x9 its not referd to as x9 version for nothing. You must have dx 9c to run it so make sure you have the latest version of directx.

FPSC Rocks... I get that error sometimes when I accidently put to many dynamic objects like ammo or health on top of eachother. I have also got that for no reason what so ever and loaded the level after restarting fpsc and all was good so just make sure your level is not overloaded with ammo and health stacked on top of eachother and restart fpsc and see what happens.
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. I'd like to hear how that goes. No, no... and I did have Divx 9 on my laptop. Yeah, heh, that'd have been a major problem. The new computer that I'm using didn't have Divx 9 on it, but I installed all of that /before/ I tested, and I still had problems.

FPSC Rocks: If I find out any other answers regarding how to solve my problem, I'll be sure to post them here so that they can perhaps help you. I hope DonWON's suggestions work for you.
kms
Years of Service
User Offline
I promised that I'd put an update up here for anyone who runs into this problem in the future and in doing a 'search', finds this thread.

I found out from Lee that it was not a hardware problem. It was a software problem. There were no errors in file paths, etc. Basically, there were too many static entities (no, not dynamic), and FPSC just could not handle it. He has wanted me to send him a copy of all my files, but seeing as I am on university internet (which is heavily monitored for any kind of uploading), I have yet to do so. When I move, I will be able to, so hopefully, this problem will be prevented in the future, as he has expressed desire to make future editions more stable.

Thank you all for your help. I hope that this knowledge aids someone else later on. I'm copying this up into my first post, as well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 19:14:46
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 19:14:46