Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Making own game engine to work with FPSC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2009 16:04
Hi,

I know there are all these mods around and stuff, but I was wondering, would it be alright to make a whole new game engine around FPSC?

I mean, obviously, it would have all the technical features of FPSC, like level loading, dynamic entities etc, but I want to add in my own stuff as well, but without the speed limitations of DBPro/FPSC, if you get me.

I already have a loader for the DBO format, so I guess the rest would be rather simple.
If there are objections to this, I'd rather hear them now than when I am half way through.

Thanks,
Bozzy

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2009 16:08 Edited at: 21st May 2009 16:09
The DBPro FPSC Source licence says you cannot make a game engine with the FPS Creator source code.
So taking this into hand I would say it would be illegal for you to make a game engine that runs with FPS Creator stuff.

I also think that using DBPro to make a game engine is illegal as well but I'm not only 90% sure about that.

knxrb

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 21st May 2009 20:37
Quote: "so I guess the rest would be rather simple. "

Yes, If your talking about using DBPro to make a game engine, it goes against the EULA.

Brian.

Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not familiar with the DBP EULA, but wouldn't it only be illegal if you sell or distribute it? If it's for personal use, I don't see what the harm could be, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

A picture says a thousand words.
--H.K.--
http://www.fpsc-online.com/
knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2009 21:27
I would think that personal use would be ok, but you wouldn't be able to give it to anybody else for money or for free.

knxrb

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2009 21:32
Quote: "Yes, If your talking about using DBPro to make a game engine, it goes against the EULA."

Why on earth is that?

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2009 21:46
DBPro was made to make games and game engines. All I see as a problem would be that you can't directly copy some of FPSC's source code and make a new engine with those non-modified code snippets and call it your own.

Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2009 21:59
I was planning on making a C++ engine completely from scratch, but create it so that it uses FPSC as an editor (and therefore has much of the functionality of the original DBPro version, just not implemented in the same way)

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 21st May 2009 22:02
I thought it was in there, but after looking again I don't see that limitation. I must have heard it somewhere else.

Brian.

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2009 22:11
Unfortunately, you must use DB for the fpsc source code, because the fpsc source code transfers data between the map editor.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-16 01:23:29
Your offset time is: 2024-10-16 01:23:29