Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Antigravlift work-arounds?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 20:38 Edited at: 26th May 2009 20:59
Hi there.

I want to make a large shaft in which a lift platform (single segment) will rise to the top when the player is on it. It seems simple enough: I have used the antigravlift entity in the sci-fi folder so that I can have an open lift.

My problem however is that while it is in the air I can step off of the platform and walk around in thin air. When I do this, the lift stops until I step back on it.

I'm guessing that when the lift is moving the player gets locked onto it. Does anyone have a work around for this? If you aren't sure about what I'm talking about I can supply a screen.
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 21:25
I believe Xplosys came up with a solution for this that locks the player on the lift platform until it reaches its end. Search the scripting boards for this.

Priest of the Church of Joe Wood

In memory of Nanee. 9/1/1993 - 5/16/2009. Rest in Peace, little girl.
rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
Doesnt work anymore

Now in the W.I.P. forum: operation sunlight
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=149451&b=25
Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2009 01:22
Quote: "I believe Xplosys came up with a solution for this that locks the player on the lift platform until it reaches its end. Search the scripting boards for this."

Hi,

The problem here is that I want the player to be able to fall off. It was originally for part of an action sequence where enemies could spawn on platforms as the lift moved upwards.
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2009 16:09
Again, create an entity floor that is transparent and turn the collision off. You can create an entity floor using Signs IV, and just texture it with a black texture created in your favorite program (mine happens to be Paint.Net). It's not that hard, really. If necessary, I can create one when I get home tonight (I've already created an invisible wall entity, and I may actually need the invisible floor as well).

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2009 18:28
So would I have the invisible entity on each level of the map at floor level? Remember that the lift is travelling upwards.

Can someone explain to me how this works technically? I really didn't think that FPSC would see a floor entity as a path than objects could travel across...
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2009 20:18
Quote: "So would I have the invisible entity on each level of the map at floor level?"

Yes.

Quote: "Can someone explain to me how this works technically?"

If you have Dark Egypt/MP 8, you'll see that there are already floor entities. Floor entities, when aligned with the floor (hit the "Enter" key while adding) and having collision turned on, act exactly like floor segments. You can walk on them, run on them, stand on them, or whatever your little heart (and the script) desires. A good example of this is by using an invisible wall entity (same concept). You place the wall, it doesn't appear in the game as it's invisible, but if you walk into it you stop in your tracks.

Now, if you turn the collision off, you can fall through it. Doing this would give the illusion of there being no floor, but you can still place waypoints so that your antigrav platform could move up and down levels.

Another trick that could be done with this is to have a whole bunch of them lined up as a floor, but having stuff underneath that can be seen. You could then turn the collision on for some and off for the others, and create pathways that the player would need to walk on in order to get across to the other side of the room. Technically, you could pull off a scene from "Last Crusade" this way (where Indy walks across the lettered tiles spelling out Jesus in Hebrew).

Make sense? And....do you need an invisible floor entity?

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2009 22:51
Hi there.

Thanks alot for the explanation. I don't have many model packs so I had yet to see floor entities. An invisible one would be great! I thought I had one actually, but turns out they are all just segments.

Thanks alot!
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2009 14:45
I'll create an invisible floor entity tonight when I get home from work and I'll post it up here. I will, of course, make sure that it works before I do so.

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2009 00:32
I am incorrect about Signs IV's ability. It can create Wall entities, but floors are segments. I can create an invisible floor, but it's a segment, and as such you cannot turn the collision off on that.

I apologize for leading you down the incorrect path.

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2009 21:15 Edited at: 30th May 2009 21:16
Don't worry about it Couldn't I just potentially position an invisible wall?
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2009 05:16
Yes, you could potentially do that. I just posted one in the "invinible wall" thread out here.

I had another thought. You could place the floors, set the waypoints, and then delete the floors. Try that and see if that works.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 13:21:55
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 13:21:55