Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Why download DBpro?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2009 09:03
I was just wondering if DARKgdk has all DBpro commands and is faster and IS FREE,Why download DBpro?Also what does GDK stand for?

If at first you don't succeed-Pause-Go to last checkpoint
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2009 12:27
Hmm. Well, first off, the GDK of DarkGDK stands for "Game Development Kit"
Now there are lots of reasons why you would want to start of with DarkBASIC Pro, firstly, its MUCH easier than its C++ counterpart, and easier to "jump right in" and start making games in, so basically the learning curve isn't as steep.
As for GDK, you HAVE to have some C++ knowledge to get a good understanding on how it works straight away. While I mostly use GDK over DBPro now, its because as you said, its faster, I come from more of a C++ backfround, and myself personally like a nice tidy code, it gets me back in the habit when I program in GDK.
Now if you are new to programming, I recommend you go for DarkBASIC Pro, create some simple stuff and see how it goes.
Or if you wanna jump right into GDK, then it is recommended that you learn the layout of C++, how it functions etc.
This is a nice little site, with free tutorials, it should get you started right away http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
One thing is for certain though. After some middle class knowledge in DarkBASIC Pro, DarkGDK WILL come to you that much more simpler.
I also recommend downloading the DarkBASIC Pro trial, play around with that, see how it goes, try before you buy, its a good tactic

Happy programming!

Eidos!
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
DarkGDK sets you up for more advanced programming, like using pure DirectX and making your own engine, but that takes a long time. I use it personally because C++ is industry standard and its my dream job ^.^
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2009 20:21 Edited at: 28th May 2009 00:36
Quote: "DarkGDK sets you up for more advanced programming, like using pure DirectX and making your own engine"

Damn straight. That's exactly what I did (see sig).
But I first learnt to program in QBasic, and while perhaps its not the best path in the long run, Basic languages are very easy to get started with, and you can see results straight away.
C++ is a big and relatively complicated language, there are parts I don't fully understand yet, but its really not as scary as everyone makes out, the simple bits.

t10dimensional
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2009 23:13 Edited at: 27th May 2009 23:14
Thanks everyone,

I've been useing DBC for 6 months now and I'm still new to it.
I was just wondering if I should upgrade to DBpro when I got good
with DBC (won't be for a while) or just move on to the C programing type of stuff.Thanks again.

If at first you don't succeed-Pause-Go to last checkpoint

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 03:24:16
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 03:24:16