Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / More tutorials for Dark GDK please

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2009 07:46
i read through the tutorials and bearly managed to pull a rabbit out of my ass reading those. I am completely new to this and it took me awhile and it is still taking me awhile to learn C++ plus dark GDK, but i need to find some tutorials preferably FPS based tutorials with resources to free sprites, weapons, etc.. To build a semi-neat FPS game with out always relying on my FPS creator program. Any help people?

We create games of tomorrow so you can play for the future
Skynet Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2009 18:17
Please guys? i read the tutorials that where installed on my computer when i installed the dark gdk program, but now im looking for more tutorials to create a game. I really would like to make something, all the tutorials have done was show me how to set up a skybox and a simple turrain. It didnt mention anything about sprites or weapons or anything like that. Im at a loss aren't i?

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2009 19:18
Sprites are covered in the Dark Invaders tutorial. Otherwise, there aren't any tutorials outside of what's provided with the install.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Skynet Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2009 22:16 Edited at: 30th May 2009 22:18
Thats very hard for me lilith, because even though i was able to follow with some of the tutorials that came with the dark GDK, it was hard to do it because 1 i tried to make my own and follow along but using the same name variables used in the tutorials, but also. I have whats called "Right brain hemisphere dysfunction" meaning i have a mental illness that makes it hard for me to learn because im not able to learn verbally or reading text, its got to do with non verbal learning disabilities. I am sure some of you have that disorder and find it hard to follow tutorials, i am better with hands on. I am a visual learner, i am hoping that there are some video tutorials out there that i can follow along with and copy the coding a lot, before i try to make my own coding using the floor basis of the coding the other user did.

This falls back on to the non verbal learning disability that makes it hard for me to understand tutorials. But if i watch them and follow along with the coding, then its easy for me. When i mean copy the other users code i dont mean im going to keep using it though. I mean use it enough times till i understand it, then change the names of the code so it becomes part of my code so i am not stealing that users code. Unless i ask that user if i can use his code, i dont want to be a theif.

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2009 23:03
I can't say that I suffer from the same thing. However, I have difficulty in sticking with tutorials myself, mostly because I have difficulty in focusing or not dealing with distractions properly. But I have a pretty high IQ to balance that out.

Read everything relevant in the .CHM file that comes with Dark GDK just to get an overview and know what's there. There's no need to understand it all on the first read. Read it again so you know how things at the beginning of the documentation relates to the stuff at the end of the documentation. This time read for a degree of understanding. Work out your plan for the program and start in. Use the documentation for reference.

I started learning C, and eventually C++, by doing a few small things. But I really learned the language when I tackled a relatively large program that took me two months worth of evenings. It forced me to try things to the point where I learned by making mistakes then researching how to fix them from my reference material.

I'm not sure why you want more tutorials if you have difficulty reading them. Pure and simple, there aren't that many tutorials for Dark GDK. However, the Dark Invaders tutorial is commented pretty fully. Check out the challenge code posted in another thread. It contains two programs using sprites. They don't get too fancy, at least my entry doesn't do much more than matching sprites to images then positioning them. But it's a start.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
endre3000
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't forget, there's also a Samples directory (The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Samples) which includes source code has a lot of useful feature demos of the GDK, possibly more useful than the tutorials.
AFishStudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 02:19
Try YouTube.

There are heeps of tutorials on there, many of which are for darkbasic pro but you can translate them pretty easily once you learn the syntax of C++. All the darkbasic commands which are blue have a 'db' in front of them in DarkGDK and uses capital letters.

Example:

In darkbasic pro: make object cube 1,10

Dark GDK: dbMakeObjectCube (1,10);

I find it easier to learn through video tutorial then written tutorial. Because I start daydreaming when reading long amounts .

Just YouTube C++ tutorials for syntax and DarkGDK/DarkBasic Tutorials. Then you will be on your way to making that awesome FPS.

Hope this helps.
Skynet Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 05:53
ive been looking over the codebase on this website for coding in dark GDK, but am unable to really find anything. Im getting stumpped..

Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 11:22
Maybe you should start with something easier than an FPS then; as you practice more it will become easier. Or you could start your FPS but just take it one step at a time e.g. start with movement, then camera rotation etc. It may seem impossible before you start, but once you get stuck in you will quickly make progress.

ScapeSta
Years of Service
User Offline
Skynet Games: If you'de like I could upload my project so far for you. All it consists of is script and tutorial objects. Hope it'll help!

"A job well done is a well done job."
KeiNagase
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd really like a section for the tutorials for Dark GDK. Everything here seems to be in DarkBasic.
pancakeguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 23:56
If you arent familiar with dark gdk's codes, heres something somebody told me, helped out alot,

start/all programs/the game creators/Dark GDK/Documentation/information

double click it and then you know all of the actual code.

attached screenshot:

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 03:40:05
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 03:40:05