Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Creating Terrain with GIMP and MilkShape 3D (Tutorial)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Im new to this engine and was looking for an easy way to create detailed terrain but with no luck so i figured out this method. Im sure there is a better way that i dont know about and maybe you could put it on this post or anything i may have missed. I hope this helps noobs like me.

1: Open Gimp and create a height map. A height map is simply an image that is black and white, white being high terrain black being low. The image must be 64 by 64. Save two copies of this image, one BMP and one TGA. Gimp has tools like filters/Render/Clouds/Solid Noise which generate a good starting image for terrain. The more blurred the image the smoother the landscape.

2: Open Milkshape and use Tools/Height Map Generator. Open your pre-made BMP map and hit ok. There is your new terrain mesh. You probably need to scale it to make it more realistic.

3: Your second image, the TGA will be used for the texture. The black and white image should help you to create the texture, Almost like looking at a negative of the landscape. You can use the Colors/Map/Gradient Map in Gimp to automate the process but i think a more detailed approach is better, like selecting an area and bucket filling with a grass or gravel pattern.

4: In Milkshape select the whole mesh and click on materials on the right tool panel. Click new and a blank ball will appear. Click the upper large button with <none> on it and select your texture for the map. Now click assign. Your texture is applied but needs to be adjusted.

5: In Tools there is a Tile Texture Mapper. Click it and click ok leaving all settings default. This will correctly fit the texture.

6: Export from MilkShape as a DirectX 8 file, once again leaving all options default, but remember to give the .x extension when naming the file.

7: Place this file and your TGA texture into your entitybank\User folder of FPSCreator. Run the FPSC entity program and create your entity. You will need to scale your object to atleast 700 depending on the size of terrain you want.

Note: If you dont have MilkShape 3D you can try Terragen which is freeware and can export a terrain as a lightwave Obj that can be imported into many 3D modellers like the freeware Wings 3D.

hmmmm...signature....let me think..............no i can't come up with anything funny.
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
nice tutorial... althought there is indeed a better way to do this, i think, i personnaly use Visual Terrain Maker, wich auto converts it to GLO and .X

IrishMike
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. Yeah your right, there should be a more complete tool for the job. Ive tried VTM, its great that it exports to .x and that its free! but i find you can achieve a more detailed surface with gimp as you can basically draw the terrain. Plus you always have the option of bump mapping your surface for extra effect within Gimps 'normals' addon.

I probably didnt give VTM enough time but i found the interface difficult and couldnt really see how id create, say a cliff or something other than an undulating landscape.

hmmmm...signature....let me think..............no i can't come up with anything funny.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 13:26:23
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 13:26:23