Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Multiplayer: How many players would you suggest?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there

I'm currently working on a muliplayer game and now I'd like to kindly ask you to share your FPSC Multiplayer Experiences with me... how many players per map would you suggest?

I know, that depends on the map, polygons and the framerate etc. But the question is: Do you feel 8 players is a must? Does it work well for you in most cases or did you mostly feel the framerate or gameplay was bad with too many players? Is 6 players best, or maybe 4?

I'd like to create a game that kind of fits to the players wishes in this point - why create a complicated 8-player-map if most people would say "I don't play these"

Thanks
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 20:04
Depends on the map size,if its very small,16 players is way too much,if its large,8-10 players are just good.

A.K.A. chargerbandit
[href]http://chargedstudios.ultimatefpsc.com/[href]
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 22:01
Eight players is the max in FPSC multiplayer, so I would suggest using the maximum of 8 players.

If it lags, they someone or two can drop out.
Otherwise, you get the most fun available.

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 22:22
Oh I totaly forgot FPSC has got 8 player limit which kinda sucks,16 could be much more fun with a good map.

A.K.A. chargerbandit
[href]http://chargedstudios.ultimatefpsc.com/[href]
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 23:57
Multiplayer games in FPSC aren't really popular enough at this time where 8 players would actually be on the servers at the same time anyway, let alone in a single game. Setting the players to 8 would be fine; it's better to have those extra slots open...just in case.

I created a multiplayer map last week using the Project Blue Mod, and I was able to get 6 players to participate in a game at the same time. My average framerate never dropped below 50; and the level was in one gigantic warehouse--and I didn't experience any lag during gameplay.

-Kravenwolf

Success is not final--failure is not eternal.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 19:15 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2009 19:24
I have not used any mods of the engine as of yet.
I have not really fooled with the multiplayer maps much either.

Quote: "I created a multiplayer map last week using the Project Blue Mod, and I was able to get 6 players to participate in a game at the same time. My average framerate never dropped below 50; and the level was in one gigantic warehouse--and I didn't experience any lag during gameplay."

That is good stuff to know Kravenwolf. Thanks

Maybe its time for me to try both mods and multiplayer maps at the same time, because the fps for that 6 player action is nice.
I may never get around to the mulitplayer maps because I have too many unfinished ideas for single player games.
The FPS of 50 and lack of lag for the multiplayer games is tempting though, so I may have found my next side-track.

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 23:41 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2009 23:42
It's rather fun to make multiplayer maps, but once you have them finished and advertised, it's a little disappointing that you can't really find anyone willing to play at the same time

-Kravenwolf

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your answers so far

Ok, I think I'll set a limit of 8 players and reduce it if some maps should lag.

Quote: "t's a little disappointing that you can't really find anyone willing to play at the same time "

Yeah, I can believe that. I'll try to find a solution for a "lobby system", that might make it a little more popular and add the possibilty to meet known players. I'm still thinking about that...

Btw, do lifts work in multiplayer games? I know that doors don't work well (they do, but they visually open only for the player who's near to it)...
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2009 02:13
FPSC IP allows for a lobby system in multiplayer...it also allows the host to select which map to play

-Kravenwolf

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2009 19:04 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2009 19:05
Yes, FPSC IP is one possible solution for this... probably the best
But I'll consider that.

Btw, I'm working on this:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=151250&b=25
*perfectly embeded advertisement*

Pardon, one more time the question - do lifts work well in multiplayer? Thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 13:20:57