Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / How do I publish a game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2009 09:59
How do I publish a game with C++ expression edition so my friends without darkGDK and C++ can play it?

Thanks
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2009 14:10
As far as i understand, the express editions of VS2008 dont come with any of the "setup projects" that the professional and team editions come with. So from within VS08 Express, you are not going to be able to have a "publish" like you can with .Net apps....

That said, there are a number of 3rd party installation kits, such as InnoSetup, DemoShield/InstallShield etc.

Basically, you compile/link your release version of your application and then package it with one of the above mentioned install kits. They usually handle the zipping of the files into a "setup.exe" type application. There is however usually some scripting involved to get them working the way you want.

Also bear in mind, that while your friends wont need to have either DarkGDK or C++ installed on their computers to use your application, they will need the C++ runtime redistributable installed and of course directx runtimes, they can be downloaded from microsoft and included in your setup app. as either a full version or a web installer.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
AFishStudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2009 16:11
Mista Wilson,

Thank you very much for your detailed response. It was just want I needed .

Thanks again.
ABXG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2009 18:09
You can create an installer with VC++ express, it just takes some (a lot) of work. You could embed your game and media within a resource file and than create an interface from which you can select various installation options.

You would than extract your game and media from the resource file based on user input.

However, the simplest solution would be to use a third party application as described above.

------------------------------------
Currently 1500+ lines of code into an "over-the-shoulder" action RPG with combat based on rag-doll physics.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 03:22:11
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 03:22:11