Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Is This Right For Me?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2009 13:59
I have no experience with C++.
Is Dark GDK a good place for me to begin? I am using a 2D program now and have made a short game with FPS Creator. The FPS game was Drag and Drop.
ABXG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2009 18:06
DarkGDK is a set of libraries for the C++ language, it is not "drag and drop". You manually have to program the game.

You should really learn at least some C++ before trying out DGDK. There is a great tutorial here:

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

This website also has a lot of other great features such as lists and descriptions of various standard C++ libraries and functions.

http://www.cplusplus.com/

------------------------------------
Currently 1500+ lines of code into an "over-the-shoulder" action RPG with combat based on rag-doll physics.
Raybrite2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2009 02:24
I think that is my problem.
I know a LITTLE c++. I have been through the first part of the Dark GDK program and have made the globe spin but beyond that I am lost.
I have done the "Hello World" program and understand the elements of it but, don't really understand how you get from there to a game. I know there are a lot of steps.
BTW I am 69 years old and beginning.(again)
I will try those you suggested.
Thanks again.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2009 01:04 Edited at: 14th Jun 2009 01:38
@raybrite
i recommend DarkBASIC because to me it is 10 times easier to deal with and it is it's own program not a pluggin i am only [mod edit]please don't post your age[/mod edit] and i learned alot in a week (but several people say i'm a genius) but you are
almost 70!!! i believe you could understand it better than me. also i HATE C++ because it is ALWAYS giving me errors even when i use examples! !
its unbelievable that is why i gave up and got DBC and i can do way more with DBC than i can do with Dark GDK. i dont even know why i am on this section! lol -Dark GDK

the modern government tries to make time,into money that is why clock are not free! in theory time is actually money!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 03:23:22
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 03:23:22