Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / install files

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, can someone send me the file "vcredist_x86" i'm trying to install c++ but it won't let me withought that file. thanks

p.s. my email is on my profile

www.madninjas.co.nr we are mad and we are ninjas
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 14:42
That file is part of the Visual C++ Runtime Redistribution, you can download various version of it from microsoft.

Its similar kind of to how directx is required for certain graphics, c++ runtimes are required for c++ programs... thats a broad analogy i know ..

I would think though, that the installer for visual c++ would contain the runtimes that are required, perhaps redownloading it, from microsoft might help too.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks! im gonna try downloading the runtime. it asks for the file when i attempt to install it so hopefully that will work

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
that didn't work the file it's trying to install when i get this error is c++ runtime pre-requisitesis there any way of making it install c++ express edition only?

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
please someone!

Merak Spielman
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you have the latest version of .net installed? Is Windows up-to-date?
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
i have sp2 and i don't know about .net (.net framework?) c++ works on my computer but not my laptop. wekk it was working before but gdk wasn't.

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 04:48
yes, you need the .NET framework aswell, think the latest is v3.5

I would suggest un-installing everything that you have done so far and restarting, as the order that things are installed will make a difference as to if it works or not. Also perhaps re-downloading the C++ Express Ed. installer from microsoft might help. I know you can download an Image of the Express Editions that you can burn to a DVD to install them from(its about 1gig or so) or you can download a web installer and let it download its files as it installs.

As a note, its best to let all of the installers put their files in their default locations.

First, make sure that you have the dotNET Framework(.NET Framework 3.5) installed, it can be downloaded from microsoft and also the latest DirectX runtime redistribution from microsoft.

Then you need to install "Microsoft Visual C++ Express Edition", and, after it has installed and before you do anything else, you need to run it at least once, this is very important, as it sets up a whole heap of environment variables and a bunch of other internal settings that the other installers are going to need.

Once you have C++ installed, and have run it at least once, you need to install the DirectX SDK. the August 2007 SDK is the one most used with DarkGDK as it still contains a library that later sdk's dont. but you can use the latest DirectX SDK with just a little work, although i would suggest sticking with the august07 one until you have everything working.

Now that the DirectX SDK is installed, you can install DarkGDK. Whatever the installer that you downloaded from The Game Creator's DarkGDK page or Microsoft is called, run it, and let it install DarkGDK for you.

Restart Visual C++ and start a new project, in the project category "Wizards" you should see 3 DarkGDK related project, once for a 2D game, one for a 3D game and one for a "Game".

Select the DarkGDK 3D Game project and click ok. Once it is finished loading select the project and run it. You should see a bunch of slowly rotating spherical shapes in a small window with a blue background.

If you get any errors or something doesnt work, post bak with the exact errors you are getting, and what you were doing at the time it happened.

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 07:43
Quote: "yes, you need the .NET framework aswell, think the latest is v3.5"

Why do you need .NET? He's not using C#.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 09:02
doesnt c++ express edition support managed code aswell ?

i thought that it was a pre-req for the Visual Studio IDE too. I just assumed that it was built on a .Net platform.

If im wrong about it being a pre-req though im sorry... but it doesnt hurt to have it anyway lol

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 18:23
If running XP or Vista (and I assume Windows 7) then .NET should be installed regardless though keeping up with the versions is likely due to Microsoft's updates, if and when someone does them.

I believe that although Express C++ will support managed code it doesn't require it. I'd hate to write a program and then have to deal with .NET needing to be part of the install procedure.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
i maneged to down load it by plugin it in to the internet (wirless connection wasn't good enough so i installed it and it still dosn't work i get the same errors as i did before.

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
the errors:

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2009 06:00
That looks like a problem with your compiler finding the directx sdk libs.

At least you have visual c++ working by the looks of it, although just not compiling GDK.

Goto Tools->Options.. in the window that opens, select "Projects and Solutions" and under that select "VC++ Directories".

The 2 you need to check are for "Include Files" and "Library Files"..
I have included 2 screenshots of the option panel open to those places. The paths that are in the shown option panel are the default paths of where the library files are places.

Note : I am using the DirectX March 2009 SDK, whichever date SDK you installed, it should be mentioned there in the place of the march09 one, typically it will be the August 2007 SDK...

do you have the folders setup as above, to point to where your library and include files are ?

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
yes, they are all set up. but i just had an idea wich i'll tell you if it works.

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
nope. it didn't work....... i tryed using "repair" instead but.....

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
yay! =D i added x64 to the include files and it works!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 03:38:13
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 03:38:13