Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [NOOB] Getting lights to look like working lights

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello all Im sure you have had this question asked before but I have tried to search the forum and it seems difficult to find what I am looking for, Im pretty new to all of this and just installed FPS creator x9.

My question is that I have seen many screen shots where there will be a light fixture of some sort with either soft light coming out of it or it lighting up in general. When I place my light markers on the stage they are "BRIGHT" as all get out, and I really dont know how to make them work subtly, so any help you could give would be appreciated. Also I really don't know anything about scripting so if it involves that feel free to talk to me as a child, thx again.
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 19:45
Well, if you mean they have too big of a light range, use the { and } in the editor while holding a light. I believe.

Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 21:29
Welcome to the forums. We hope you enjoy your stay.

Some people say that I'm crazy... And I agree.
USE PLY'S MOD!
Silver Eye Productions
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jun 2009 22:22
WELCOME!

To the forums.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 04:40
Welcome! You will enjoy your self here. They are all a bunch of great people and helpful.

===================
InnerCityWar http://Paradoxial.net (Not open yet)
ScreenShots Soon to come
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 08:10 Edited at: 7th Jun 2009 08:12
Hey Vamp, welcome to the forums. As Apple Slicer mentioned, when you have a light selected in the editor and are ready to place it, you can press the [ ] symbols on your keyboard to change the size (and thereby intensity) of the light. The smaller the light, the lower it's intensity. If you think the light is too dark, you can add several small lights around each other, or place them above and below each other (page up and page down lower the light). The more lights you add the more realistic your lighting will turn out (though sometimes a few lights, or even one will do the job).

Static lights (red outline in the editor) cast realistic shadows, whereas dynamic lights (green outline in the editor) do not (at least not in FPS Creator). Personally, I stick with static lights to have realistic shadows cast in the level. It also saves frame rates opposed to filling your game with dynamic lights.

The difference from static lights and dynamic lights (I don't know how much you know already), is that static lights are 'baked' into the level while the game is building. Dynamic lights are not; they are always active, and allow the player to interact with them. A few examples being flickering lights, or turning a dynamic light on and off in the game with the flick of a light switch. This you cannot do with static lights.

Just remember, good lighting can make a bad level look good, but bad lighting can make a good level look bad. Lighting shouldn't be half...well I can't say that here. I'll just say that I spend about as much time with lighting as I do setting up all of the entities in my levels. Hope this helps. Good luck.

-Kravenwolf

Success is not final--failure is not eternal.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 15:29:54
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 15:29:54