Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Building A GTA type game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2009 21:54
Hi there iam new here first of lol. Iam trying to build a car game. But i am haveing touble makeing the level.
What is the best way to do this i have expreimented with heightmaps but it has been very difficult to overlay a road and city. I have also tried building a city in 3dsMax but i am having trouble with the car disapearing thought the mesh when going up a ramp etc...

What is the best way to attack this if it heightmaps of make a whole level out of a .X file but use better collision detection.

Any help would be great as i have not been able to find any tutorials on this subject.
Thank you for your time
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 06:02
Quote: "What is the best way to attack this if it heightmaps of make a whole level out of a .X file but use better collision detection."

If that was english and I had a hat I'd eat it...

From what it sounds like, you are just making a model and expecting your objects to collide with it automatically? You can't do that...you need to program in the physics yourself, or get a physics engine.

Jhdgkss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 08:05
Hi there. Sorry for my grammer lol. It was very late at night when i posted it. Can you recomend a free physics engine.
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 18:36
physx. several threads on how to integrate it, jsut do a search.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 19:49
I'd also recommend Sparky's DLL ( do a search ). It's simpler, though if you are making a car game you might want more advanced physics.

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 20:12
I suggest that if this is your first time doing game programming that you start with something simpler such as just plain wall to wall collision then when you get the grasp of it move on. I know you probably heard something like this said a lot but trust me, its much more satisfying getting a nice looking, simple game done then a very buggy, complicated game. (not saying your game will be buggy )

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 20:04
everyone wants to make an awesome game when they get started at gam making but soon they realize it is harder than they thought,not trying to put you down but the truth can sometimes hurt,good luck though

the modern government tries to make time,into money that is why clock are not free! in theory time is actually money!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 05:53:08
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 05:53:08