Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / FIghtings game: How would i go about collision detection?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 16:56
The national IT Contest is 2 months away right now, and I just found out that I can't take my game there, because it's a 2 man project! So I have to work on another type of game for it! I was thinking of trying to develop a 2.5D (3D, but without movement in depth) fighting game. I don't want to jump right in, and 2-3 weeks in development notice I can't do something, so I wanted to ask you guys for some tips, and ideas. The main thing I'm worried about here is collision detection. I have been using sparky for quite a while now, I can do collision, but the problem comes in when I'm trying to think how can i detect if a character punches another. Both of them would be in collision... I was thinking of making some states, like, when the player punches, player1Atacking = 1, and if so, and object collision == 1, then decrease the other players lifebar. But that wouldn't feel to natural, especially if both of them would be attacking at the same time. What I am asking is, can you give me some material to study? Has anyone worked on a fighting game before, and cares to "talk" about it?
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 18:05
There is an entire series in the TGC Newsletters about building a platform game, based in a bruce lee fighting type thing, im sure i rembmer a part dealing with collisions for the fighting with enemies and things....

It was all sprite based as far as i can remember, but the basic techniques should be similar, and if your environment is the only thing thats 3d really, i mean, no depth movement makes it basically 2d from a point of view of collision detection.

The series covers the whole game, from start to finish... if you check :

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?gf=newsletter

you will be able to browse past newsletters and sign up for new ones

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2009 22:11 Edited at: 19th Jun 2009 22:13
Perhaps you can use a FIFO Queue to store player inputs and perform collision checks based on the Queue'd entries.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 03:38:45
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 03:38:45