Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Understanding the lightmap proces

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 14:17
I have a problem with lighmapping. Whenever I use full lightmaps for my latest project the proces takes 30-40 minutes for the lightmaps to be finished. This is with no adjustments to setup.ini on a 3GHz Core2Duo.

The problem seems to be related to certain objects since everything runs fine and fast until some steps. This could be:
[87/231] 66%
or
[127/231] 74%
where the proces is almost stopped for 10-25 minutes per point.

So the question is: is it possible to see a log for the objects being lightmapped so problematic objects can be dealt with?

On a side note, the lower quality lightmaps compiles just fine.
shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 15:53
this is probbably a graphics problem, i have had this (i was using incredibly high light quality mind), and i have a feeling that the problem is either segments or dynamic light and/or entities.

OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACY
plystire controls the internet, there is nothing you can do as he will give you awesome mods through viruses.
DO PANIC
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 17:20
What version of fpsc are you using? I used to use V1.00 and lightmaps (full) took 2 minutes to load a 3x3 room with 1 light, whereas when I upgraded to mix of V1 and V109, full lightmapping takes no time at all and is standard for all my games
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 17:25
I am using v1.15 and the problem is there with and without Project Blue mod.

It is also there with and without characters present.

I am not using dynamic lights.

The smart thing here would be a way to analyse the proces and point out the problematic entities or segments. By searching I have found a lot of users have this problem.
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 18:42
For Me....It Don't Bother Me....But It Is An Issue Tho....Full Shader Effects Maybe?

Computer Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.80GHz @ 1066Mhz FSB 3MB Cache, Dual Channel 8192MB DDR2 PC6400 800MHz RAM, XFX Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ 512MB, MSI P7N SLI-FI Motherboard - nForce 750i SLI
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 21:51
Quote: "So the question is: is it possible to see a log for the objects being lightmapped so problematic objects can be dealt with?"

Problematic? Those long lightmaps aren't problematic, they're just complex.

Lightmapping only takes a significant amount of time during the testing and building process. When you build your game into an .exe file, the lightmaps are already calculated upon loading, so loading the levels takes very little time compared to when you test it in FPSC.

The long lightmapping times you experience are simply an inconvenience to you because they are so complex. Try altering the setup.ini file to have a lower lightmapping quality for testing, then increase it when you want to do final checks and adjustments to light quality, and for building the final executable.

Paul

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 21:54
It's because of the models Alpha. In Full Lightmapping, the lightmapper has to use alpha values to make shadows, if you have say, a series of grates that light passes through, then it will take a while to calculate the shadow for that...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 10:21
CoffeeGrunt: Thanks, I think that might just be it in my case. I have around 10 entities using alpha channels. I should have realised this earlier since I had a similar problem some years ago with lightmapping in 3D World Studio. Will try to test it and see if one or more of them are the source to the extreme slowdowns.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-16 01:20:05
Your offset time is: 2024-10-16 01:20:05