Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC Games - Website

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there, everyone

I don\'t know if this thread would fit better to the showcase board, but maybe a mod can move this thread if it\'s not placed well here?

www.fpsc-games.bplaced.net

Now, what\'s this about?

I created this website with the idea of creating kind of a \"real showcase\" website that supports especially FPSC Game Developers. I think it might be a good way of presenting games that have been made with FPSC to the public, aside from the forum showcase (although most users will be FPSC Developers themselves, at least in the beginning, I guess).

Maybe simply browse around a bit on the site and have a look at all the functions (considering it\'s all in demo-state yet, and none of the yet represented games will ever be downloadable). If you would like to test the submit-formulars, please use the username \"Test\".

Especially the tournament function might be interesting for making multiplayer maps popular?

Please let me know if you\'re interested in this, about things that you would like to change and so on.

A forum has not been set up yet, the reason is I already investend plenty of time into the website creation, and now I\'d like see if this is a project many developers would support. Oh, and by the way - everything will be free, I will never take any money from developers or users, but I might add advertisement (Google Ads and so on) later.

Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 15:44 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 15:47
To be honest I am not looking for more FPSC websites. There are already a gazillion of them.
I actually like the restrictions used here because that removes many games that are just based on a idea and story without having anything real to show.
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 20:11 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 20:23
Ehm, ok...

Thanks for early feebdack!

Although I can't really find any websites that are similar to this one...

Of course it always takes some time until at least a small group of users begins to accept a brand-new website (the opposite is that online-roleplay-thing... there are millions of them in short time, I really don't understand where they get all those users from )

Anyway, I expected critics for the design or the fact that it's quite empty yet, but simply no interest is quite... surprising

Edit: I just made an update, by the way, the headers should now look better.
http://www.fpsc-games.bplaced.net/
JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 21:38 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 21:40
GOOD LUCK MAN!!! HOPE THIS WORKS OUT FOR YA
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 22:14 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 22:15
Hey, good luck, hope it works out, i would suggest not using a forum until you have enough users, making a successful forum is hard, i am busy trying to grow one now.

Only crit is that i would like to see the layout and general theme to be worked on a bit more, as it looks quite basic.

Apocalyptic games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 22:58
Looks nice only criticism its in english AND another language.
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 23:11
There actually was a site exactly like this. It was fpsc-games.com. DarkFact ran it, but it never took off because there really isn't much interest in that sort of thing. Sorry, man. Design isn't bad though. Good luck, and maybe the turn out will be better this time around.

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 23:45 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 23:46
Ah, I see... I never heard of that site, and it's "only" one, not hundreds ("only" not meaning to reduce it's possible potential).

Yeah I already get the point that interest isn't that high, I just don't understand that, because the users on this site are developers "only" (again), too.

Quote: "Looks nice only criticism its in english AND another language. "

Heh? What do you mean? Ahhh I see.....
No, my friend... this is just same fake latin text (it's no real latin) that's just pretends there was content. It's a well known webamster test demonstration text, it's use is demonstrate a text-filled website with... absolutely no text at all

The website is in demo mode. I'm currently contacting developers on the showcase board (an getting on their nervers, I assume ) to get enough content to kind of "officially launch" the website as people use to say.

Quote: "making a successful forum is hard, i am busy trying to grow one now."

Definitely. That's why the forum is in maintaince mode so far. There's nothing yet

Thank you very much for your encourages and interest, if some people support and suggest my game on the showcase board (wink, wink ), then maybe this site will become a nice place
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 00:40
D0MINIK,

We are not Microsoft or Google. We don't have millions of dollars to put into advertising so that a website is populated the day it is published. We must work hard to earn our clients/visitors and it takes time. Sometimes years. If you're not in it for the long haul, you probably wont make it.

The site looks neat and clean, but could be dressed up a bit. I would like to see more definition between categories and especially between the text(filler) and images. You might try using bordered cells or just more spacing, whatever looks better. I would separate the header from the main page as well. Think smaller, especially on the top where your image (logo?) is. Later you'll be glad you saved some room up there.

As you can tell, I'm not a fan of the current layout. Like I said, it's functional. I probably would have gone two columns on the games and used the left column for menu and information. The menu looks like it came from a totally unrelated page. I would use a set page width, and not let the page expand as that throws your layout off.

I think the idea is a good one and could be fleshed out successfully. Get it going and listen to visitors to keep improving it. My only general advise would be to have a website that is fully functional before going live. It's a little late for that, but it's in part reason why you won't get much constructive criticism. There just isn't much to look at.

That being said, don't let anything stop you from making the site. It doesn't matter what people think of it now, when it's running well and people are posting their games, it will get used. At some point, you'll want a dot com domain. Make sure that you keep the old one and point it to the new one for as long as you can.

As for the forum, here is what I think is the biggest mistake people make, and the major reason why most fail. A forum works best in support of a product or service. TGC forums work well because they support TGC software. Creating a forum that supports someone else's software is not only a little silly, but doesn't work well. The exception to that is when your forum fills a void that the original has overlooked or refuses to fill. In many cases, there is a reason they don't fill that need. Beware.

Bottom line.... Create a product or service website that people use. Be sure to have a good FAQ and support system/email. As the website grows and people have more questions, open a forum where users can help each other with your website, not someone else's.

Sorry if my thoughts are all over the place. I didn't take time to write it all out in advance.

Stick with it and best of luck.

Brian.

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 12:57 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2009 12:59
Ok

Quote: "Sorry if my thoughts are all over the place. I didn't take time to write it all out in advance."

No, great, thanks for your thoughts!
I do not aggree in every point, but I'll keep it in mind!

UPDATE

Ok, although the website is still in demo mode (once again: that's why there is no real content yet but only fake latin text), the submit formulars are fully functional now. You can submit your games and demos.... see if you've got some old game lingering on your hard drive that you could and would like to submit.

The rules for commercial games are less strict now (no full installer required anymore).

I already got one commercial demo submitted so far. Your game can be free or commercial, a full version or demo game, new or old.

http://www.fpsc-games.bplaced.net/submit-demo.html
http://www.fpsc-games.bplaced.net/submit-game.html
http://www.fpsc-games.bplaced.net/
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
*Bump* and *Update*

FPSC Games has just been officially launched and has now real content to offer.

So I hope you'll have another look at this website. Thanks a lot to the first developers who submitted their projects - I hope that manies will follow in the near future!!

Yap, that's it

Gamer X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 01:03 Edited at: 6th Jul 2009 01:14
DOMINIK I sent you an e-mail concerning a couple of things.

Scratch the first question on that e-mail

racer13 fly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 06:51
Hey man, I'm submitting my current project now! I still have to make a small thread about my site that has File Thingie for people to share their games with... I'll get onto that later, I'm still working on getting some things to work properly.
Anyway, Good Job on your site!
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys!

Received your games.

@Gamer X: Answered your email

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 20:51
The web site needs a better and easier Interface/design... D:

No one knows just what has become of her, Shattered, dull, desperate, oh so innocent and delicate. But too damn obdurate, And obstinate to let go!
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 22:18
I agree its very hard to use and looks rather un-professional atm

Windows 7, Intel Core 2 Duo 3.2 Ghz, 4GB, 2x Nvidia 9600GT 1GB
racer13 fly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 22:41
Sorry, I'll submit my game for WIP tonight, I needed to get the 2 screenshots. The first level is almost done, lighting is the issue and I just can't get a couple good images out.
Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Submitted my WIP Demo, it should appear shortly

All the best

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=151865&b=25
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Yap, Equinox has alredy arrived

@racer13 fly: Don't worry, submit it when it's ready to be submitted Anything else wouldn't make sense!!

Quote: "I agree its very hard to use and looks rather un-professional atm"

Fine, what would you change?

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 00:11 Edited at: 7th Jul 2009 00:30
Well to start i would suggest a clear background area on the site and set the width to not be the whole page maybe 700px width for text area and then add a header image to the site also 700px wide by 150px heigh and add the menu between the two and guess what also 700px wide that will be a good and simple start and is very easy to code can be done with only 10-15 mins of work.

Here is a very quick layout example. Very small im afraid.

You will need to use css and html code to create this successfully but i suggest making the pages PHP for ease of use in future if additions are needed this will also allow you to use include headers which will make the menu editing and footer codes easier to edit also.

Looking at your page i see this all the way down

Which is very very messy. It should be set out like this for example all indented makes it much easy to edit for you and anyone else to read. IF you are using a Visual application to make the site i suggest you get a new one because the one you are using was made by people that have no idea how to make a webpage.

Other Notes:

I noticed you are just adding to the site using HTML updates each time if you know how i would go for a PHP system and a SQL database and do it that way with the users adding games directly to the database instead of emailing you the details and you having to add them manually to the site. This will save you so much time and if the site was to get very big would be crucial for its continued use. But thats for later if you have time and a knowledge of PHP and SQL

Wow that was allot

Attachments

Login to view attachments
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 17:03 Edited at: 7th Jul 2009 17:07
Quote: "Wow that was allot "

Indeed.

Quote: "i suggest you get a new one because the one you are using was made by people that have no idea how to make a webpage."

The code was written by me. So it's obviously me who has no idea how to make a webpage in your eyes.

Quote: "But thats for later if you have time and a knowledge of PHP and SQL"

Neither nore.

Finally, thanks for your thoughts

I'll have a look at the width of the site... the layout isn't final yet, anyway.

I think there is also some matter of personal taste inside this theme, and on the other hand, I know it's not technically perfect. But it works fine. And I'd want to authorize all projects, anyway, so updating the website via html won't be such a problem, especially as the submit formulars send all the required information perfectly formatted over to me. Really just some clicks for me. And there won't be thousands of games in short time:

Quote: "D0MINIK,
We are not Microsoft or Google."

If I am wrong in this point, I'll have to do some changes concerning that later, of course

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 17:43
Yeh sorry about saying you didnt know how to code what i meant was you have things to learn i have learnt allot since i first started designing websites i used to make a total mess but if you look at other pro sites and hwo they are done you will get the idea.

And yeh PHP wouldn't be necessary really for a site of this size.

DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 19:46
Good luck! I'm probably going to submit a game to your site when/if I fiish one.

If every millisecond in your life was 10 problems in the world, you'd be immortal
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 00:32 Edited at: 8th Jul 2009 00:59
@The Next
Never mind!
As I wrote, I'm aware it's not technically perfect, and I'm happy about any feedback

@DestroyerHive
Great!

Thanks for the latest submissions... they will appear on the website at the weekend, you'll receive emails then.

racer13 fly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 06:13 Edited at: 8th Jul 2009 07:35
I'm about to submit a demo and I just uploaded it to File Front, but on the site it says to do it to File Savr, you won't mind if I submit a direct link to the file through File Front, will you?

EDIT: I submitted it with the File Front link, its direct so no worries.
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 14:59 Edited at: 8th Jul 2009 15:07
As the site says, you may use any direct link.
We might change filesavr as support file hoster, anyway. It's not been working too well over the last days... we will see.

Your game was submitted successfully, but your screenshot and download link don't work. Could you please check that?

EDIT:
@all
By the way, I just had the idea of adding a rating system feature to the website. So you can, uhm, let's say, rate each game with a 5-star-system? How about that?

Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
5-Star rating system sounds good, add it in

racer13 fly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 17:41
Try this link: http://download522.filefront.com/a1ozzatidmmg/The+Experiment+WIP+Screenshots.zip
btw, when will you probably update all the games that have been submitted?
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 19:33 Edited at: 8th Jul 2009 19:45
Quote: "The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. "

Same error message

Don't know what's going wrong there, I never had any problems with filefront. I'm terribly sorry if it's my bad (possible!), but, what can one do wrong when clicking with the left mouse button on a link?

EDIT: I'm sending you an email, we should be able to get a solution, right?

Quote: "btw, when will you probably update all the games that have been submitted? "

Ehm, expect an update on friday.

You surely understand I want to dislpay the games that have been submitted even before the official launch on the main page at least for some days as these authors had faith to submit their game as the first although the website was in demo mode.

And, btw, you surely want your game displayed for some days, too, right? (on the main page... it will be on the games list then, anyway).

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 19:45
Quote: "5-Star rating system sounds good, add it in"

Nah, I'd go for a Meta-critic like score, 0-100 ratings, I prefer 100/100 ratings instead of 5star or something else...

No one knows just what has become of her, Shattered, dull, desperate, oh so innocent and delicate. But too damn obdurate, And obstinate to let go!
Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Both sound fine to me, i have to vote for the 100/100 rating system as well, it's more...precise

racer13 fly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 22:18 Edited at: 9th Jul 2009 00:43
I'll try File Savr then.
(2 minutes later) Uploading file.
(Another minute later)Hm, I can't get a direct link... Going to File Dropper.
(And yet another minuter later)Uploading.
(10 seconds later)Hm, still no direct link... Ah heck, I'll just use my web server I use for my website.
(25 seconds later after)I uploaded it and here's the link direct: http://www.racer13flygamestudios.com/upload/Miscellaneous%20Files/The%20Experiment%20WIP%20Screenshots.zip
And yes, if you remove everything in the link except the main part, you will get my website. I still have to post about it in this forum... (It was made mainly for another forum, the forum for Silent Walk.)

EDIT: (This is for the demo) File Front was starting to act up and the link wasn't working right to I deleted it. I'm uploading the file to my web server now, then it WILL work. I'll email you the new link.
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
@racer13 fly
Answered.

Website updated.

Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 15:11 Edited at: 10th Jul 2009 16:06
EDIT: NVM there working now