Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / DP - Cannot use fluids, the slime demo causes BSOD

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 05:23
I recently got DarkPhysics and I was very excited about the fluid simulation, but it doesnt seem to work at all... When I try to run the Slime demo the screen goes black and the pc BSODs because my gfx card driver crashes. This doesnt happen on other fluid examples, they just lag insanely and the screen is 100% white. Everything else works fine (particles, soft bodes, hard bodies ect).

SPECS:
[*]Gfx card = EVGA GTX 295
[*]Gfx card driver = latest-8.15.11.8618
[+]OS = Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
[*]DarkBasicPro Version = latest-7.6
[+]Physx driver Version = ?latest?-v9090428

My Gfx card supports physx, and the consept demo of fluid off Nvidia works seamlessly and quickly. What is wrong?

PS: Is there a .ctm file for the newest version of DP, the one up for download on its web site is old.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 10:19
ok
Do you have the DarkPhysX update 1.05 installed?

Have you set the graphic card to use PhysX chip?

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Hacktank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 11:29
Cant believe i forgot that on specs, yes i have 1.05 DP. And Yes, my gfx card is set to allow PhysX. I can run some of the examples that use physx but not use liquid fine, and physx() always returns 1.

Hacktank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 08:58 Edited at: 24th Jun 2009 14:39
Any help out there?

Some more info:

Most fluid using demos/examples dont crash my video driver, the ones that dont just apply incredable lag to the program and create a very short range white fog.

I had downloaded the PhysX Island demo and the precompiled exe was working, the fluid could only be seen from very up close tho, but I tried recompileing the source myself and now it too adds the fog and laggs the program until the fluid goes away.

Please help me find out whats wrong, if you need any more info tell me.

EDIT:
I read every thread in this forum with the word fluid or liquid in it and still have failed to get --- ones i compile --- to work, any one that is pre compiled works perfectly...

Drivers:
PhysX - 909.04.28 (highest (i believe))
GeForce GTX 295 - 186.18 (highest for sure)

Programs:
DBP - 7.3 (highest (i believe))
DP - 1.05 (highest (i believe))

PS: I read that they took out the ability to use color object on fluids, is that true? One of the main things i was going to use it for was blood, and various substance spills.

GameDaddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 04:59
Do you have DirectX 10 Installed?
Hacktank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 06:09
Yes, the highest version available, just checked for a new release.

Hacktank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 08:13
The TGC tech support simply closed my ticket for "No reply nessesary"... So until i send a few more i guess ill give the forums here all the info i have and some pics showing my problem.

If i compile a program and i make fluid this happens:

But if i download an example it runs perfectly:

Come on guys, i have the worst luck ever with tech support so your my only hope in getting this to work.

I tried changeing permissions, reinstalling, useing old drivers, the new drivers, but nothing works. [size=1](just watch it be a stupid problem that is fixed in one click...)[/size]

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 09:47
DarkPhysX and DBPro will only run if you have installed DirectX 9c oct version.

Hacktank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 11:00
HowDo, vista has DX 10, I have found no way of downgradeing to 9c useing google, I see no reason why it wouldent work. I was under the impression it worked with vista...... And if it doesnt im going to get a refund.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 13:46 Edited at: 1st Jul 2009 13:48
I know Vista has DX10, but DarkphysX and DbPro only use DX9c , both DX'x need to be on your machine they will both run together.

plus you must have it going or you would not be posting about other stuff.

fluids should work on your graphic card,

I get small spheres for water, only because my graphic card is at the bottom of the range, 7300SE.

Hacktank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 16:12
I downloaded DX9c, installed, still doesnt work.

Fluid is the only thing that doesnt work correctly.

Fluid works perfectly with my graphics card, i just cant compile a program that uses it. I can run the demos.

I attached the flowing fluids demo to my post. I compiled it, please see if you can run it without problems. ( you will need to put it in projects\dark physics\competition 2008\flowing fluids for the watermark and such )

Attachments

Login to view attachments
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 19:44 Edited at: 1st Jul 2009 20:18
looks like DBPro 7.3 is not as good as 7.4 beta 8, as the compile code you emailed runs but at a crawl , where as if I compile the same code on my system it gets about 7fps but only get small spheres.

Hacktank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 20:57 Edited at: 1st Jul 2009 22:56
Where do i get 7.4 beta? Its not on the upgrade page.

EDIT, I just found it, ill edit the results of a fluid test in a minute.

EDIT2, Thank god, fluid works now, thanks HowDo, your the greatest, i would never have found that. (note what i said in my post with the pics lol )

EDIT3, How do you change the color of the fluid? Like in the demo in the pic above?

EDIT4, It seems that fluids are worthless due to the removal of the abilty to color and make them look good, i guess the only purpose of the demos are to get u to beleive that the product is good, but remove the commands that make them worthwhile.

GameDaddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 00:18
So,the DBPro fluids work fine with DirectX 9 and OpenGL (The PhysX demo uses OpenGL, which is why it works on all the machines).

They also evidently work with the U74 DBPro build.

If the fluid isn't colored, build a shader or FX file for it.
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/fx_composer_home.html

All fluids are is just a collection of more or less transparent spheres. When you have 40 or 50,000 active Dark Physics spheres, of course ANY GPU OR CPU is going to take a speed hit rendering them, so you have to figure out a way to render any scene using as few spheres as possible to keep the frame rate up.

This doesn't have anything to do with DBPro by the way, it's all in the PhysX (or Dark Physics) rendering. In case you didn't know, Dark Physics is a just a wrapper for the PhysX rendering engine.
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 20:09
It a real shame you can`t change the fluid rendering params , in the gdk version you can .

I think its about time dp got upgraded for dbpro , at least fix the fluid and softbody commands , it can`t be that hard because they all work super in gdk , anyways looking at the last newsletter on the q and a bit there was a reply saying there was no near plans to upgrade dp , such a shame for all of us that have bought it thinking we were going to get super fluids and softbodys .

I reccommend switching to gdk , it doesn`t take that long to learn the c++ needed for gdk no classes or anything like that .

chunks.

nvidia geforce 9500gt + amd athlon 64
windows vista ultimate.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 10:54
Quote: "I reccommend switching to gdk , it doesn`t take that long to learn the c++ needed for gdk no classes or anything like that ."

I did but seeing there was not enough info on how install things first time without digging around changing bits that do not need changing, I ended up with IDE that had to many changes so some things work and some don't.

Plus as with most ms stuff there no reset me back to defualt button, so you can add what you found out in the right order and all should work.

Working on finding out what not working in DarkPhysX to start a post on bits that don't go.

@chunks chunks
If you use GDK can you show how you would fill in the pulley commands all in one function if you have use it yet.
Have got that to go by filling in the separated commands but could never get it to go with the all in one command.
cheers.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:16:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:16:41