Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / importing guns from other games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 20:20
Is it possible to import guns from games such as crysis since they use the same system for loading models. And cod4 uses the same hand system that the model pack use. Thx for any help

Lets get one thing straight , You and me both make FPS games by cheating
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 20:53
No, you cannot do this. It is illegal and falls under copyright infringement. To do so would put you in serious legal trouble. You are better off trying to re-create a fake gun from one of these games that looks like it but isn't. This includes creating the textures from scratch.

Priest of the Church of Joe Wood

In memory of Nanee. 9/1/1993 - 5/16/2009. Rest in Peace, little girl.
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 20:57
It is possible but it may also be illegal. If it's for your own use, for practice lets say, then go ahead. Just don't try making a game using them and also don't give them away for free. As for ripping them and getting them FPSC ready, use software such as 3DS Max, Milkshape 3D or XNA mod tool.
Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 21:55
o.k , can someone write a tutorial on how to import custom guns cause I got milkshape but not any other program. Im trying to re-create the scar off of crysis

Lets get one thing straight , You and me both make FPS games by cheating
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 00:13
Ok. It's really quite simple once you've got the hang of it. Copy one of the existing gun folders in the gamecore\guns FPSC directory so you have a template to work from. In Milkshape setup your gun model so it is facing in the direction of the purple guide line in the Milkshape 3D view port. Open up the Gunspec file in notepad and scroll down to the part which has:

Select=
Idle =
Move=
fire=
reload=
cock=
putaway=

...etc. Look at the animation frames (For example, Select=0,9) So this means the select animation starts at 0 and ends at 9.

Back in Milkshape create a joint and position it inside your gun model then assign the gun group to this joint. Go into animation mode by clicking on "Anim" in the bottom right of the screen. You can move the joint and because the gun model group is assigned to this joint it will move with it. Start with the gun a few units below screen level, starting at frame 0. Move the time control to 9 (Make sure you have set the total frames to the total frame as it is in the gunspec, 100 for example) now move your gun model up to the default position and press Ctrl+K to set the keyframe. You can play this back and they you have it. Animated gun with a select animation.

Do the same thing for the other animations. If you feel confident, add more joints and assign them to moving parts such as the magazine and bolt. Make sure you keyframe and always look at the gunspec to see if you're going the right way. Heck, you can even change what frames you want in the gunspec as long as they correspond to the frames in Milkshape. Remember, the gunspec tells the engine how to display your gun model and how it should behave. There's no point writing a gunspec from the start. Just copy and existing one.

Also, if you want shell casings and a muzzle flash you must add two more joints. Put a joint at the tip of the gun, at the front of the barrel and rename the joint to "FIRESPOT" then put another joint on the ejection port of the gun and call this one "BRASS". This tells the engine to put the muzzle flash and the brass on this part of the model. You can edit the muzzle flash position further in the gunspec file.

Now, make sure you're not in animation mode (click the anim button again) Go to "File > Export" then scroll down to DirectX (JT) close to the bottom of the file formats list. An option for saving will come up and save over the HUD.X file in your new gun folder. A new window will come up with a lot of options. You can leave everything as it is just make sure the format is DirectX Skin and Bones and the animation time factor is 1. You will also see a "Position Scaling" box. This allows you to change the size of the weapon should it appear too small in FPSC and you want it a tad bigger. Now click on OK and give it a few seconds.

Now, go into your FPSC directory and locate your folder and make sure there's not a "HUD.DBO" file because this is created by new versions of FPSC and it'll be the old weapon model (A DBO file takes less time to load in FPSC and is created everytime you run a new weapon for the first time and a DBO file isn't already present) Load FPS Creator, create a player marker (the green arrow) and right click on this and select the start weapon which will be your new weapon you just created. Now run the game and one of a few things should happen.

The gun is not there and you can't see anything or it is in a totally wrong position. No worries. The position can be altered through the gunspec:

;HUD muzzleflash position

horiz = 2
vert = -7
forward = 9.5
alignx = 4
aligny = -3
alignz = 30

Horiz, vert and forwards control the position of the actual model. Horiz is left to right (The higher the value then the more to the right is is positioned) vert is up and down (The higher the value then the higher the weapon is positioned) and forward is how far back or forward it is. Alignx, aligny and alignz control the muzzle flash position. Now if your weapon is facing the wrong way then you haven't rotated it correctly in Milkshape. Remember, the gun must be facing in the same direction as the purple line. So what if your weapons is too small? Well, back to the export function in Milkshape. You can adjust the size by changing the "Position Scaling". That's pretty much it.

I hope this little tutorial has helped in some way. I have been messing around with custom weapons in FPSC for exactly three years now and it's always fun do create a new weapon. Just remember to stick at it like I did when I first started. Keep tweaking the gunspec file so the animations match up and look right. If you need anymore help buddy then feel free to drop me an e-mail. Best of luck with trying this out.
nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
whel what will hapen if i do that and give it free????

divernika
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 00:27
Quote: "whel what will hapen if i do that and give it free????"

What do you mean? If you mean making your own weapon from scratch and giving it away for free then there's nothing wrong with that, you'll probably get thanked and praised and get a good forum rep. If you mean taking a weapon from another game and giving it away for free then someone will catch on and you could end up with a forum ban, the download to the file being deleted and a bad forum rep.
nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
i ment what would happen if i copied it....Only ban from forums and sites?????wow...So the law cant really do anything....wow...i am shoked

divernika
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "i ment what would happen if i copied it....Only ban from forums and sites?????wow...So the law cant really do anything....wow...i am shoked"

And the company could sue you witch if they see it they probably would.

nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
so how could they sue me?i live in an other continet in another country and they dont even know my name or my last name...

divernika
Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 03:38
Well they would probably start with cease and desist letters and if you don't they will contact your internet service provider and find out that information. This is an extreme example though. Just don't do it.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 05:30 Edited at: 24th Jun 2009 05:46
Quote: "Is it possible to import guns from games such as crysis since they use the same system for loading models. "

Yes.

Is it legal?

That depends on the license and the written permissions that you have from the model's creator.

You could just use those models for "inspiration" or better yet, you could use pictures of the real weapons for inspiration.
After all, those other games' models were not made by the same people who made the real guns.
So, your version could end up better than the other games depending on your skills.
Even with limited skills you still get to do whatever you want with your own models, so that makes them better than the ones from other games.

Here is a link to Darboven's XM8 and I even made a video on how to use stock gun animations for it.

Our version has an empty clip coming out on the reload animation and a full one going back in, unlike some of the more famous store bought games.
(look at the reloads of your favorite games that have the xm8 - they have full see-thru clips coming out of empty guns)

Check it out.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 17:38:11
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 17:38:11