Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / !!Important Announcement for Showcase Entries!!

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 19:19 Edited at: 7th Oct 2009 18:26

!!UPDATE!!

As you can see; only a small handful of games are left on this board. Either many of the Developers didn't get the message, or they just didn't want to take the time to make the appropriate changes.

Many of the game threads simply need a minor correction (one or two too many images in the first post, required items not in the correct sequence, etc.), and they are good to go (email me).

I'd like everyone with a thread that used to reside here, to revisit them and make the changes laid out in the Board Rules here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=143014&b=35&p=0

If you can't find your game in the WIP Board, use the search feature to locate it. After (and ONLY after) you make the required changes; email me with a link to the thread, and I will move it back to the Showcase Board.

Remember: Stories/Descriptions have to be tangible!

Alright guys; there seems to be some confusion as to what a proper Showcase entry should look like (be laid out like).

What you should be emulating is the same layout that you can find in the BOTB Thread:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=112663&b=35

I will change the rules of the Showcase board to reflect this.

In the meantime, I'm giving everyone a week or two to make the appropriate changes to their threads before a decision is made to move them to the WIP board.

Thanks for your cooperation.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 19:49
Feel free to leave comments.
Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds like a good idea, definitely will keep the showcase board more clean

All the best

Yeah... got hurt when i tripped... on some bullets
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 03:18
It almost seems strict, what if you have no background to the game? Also, Why only two of your shots in the main post? And what if you want mystery to your game and don't want to reveal your whole story? I don't really think it seems like a good idea.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 14:37
There should always be some sort of description of the game (or a storyline); otherwise, how are people to know what they are spending their bandwidth on (as FPSC Games/Demos are definitely not small in size)?

By limiting it to two shots in the main post, most developers are more inclined to put 2 of their best shots there; many visitors only look at the first post or two before moving on. This ensures that you "wow" them, before they move on. After the initial post; developers are free to put as many screenshots/images as they wish in the following posts. That's just the way it's going to be.

Quote: "And what if you want mystery to your game and don't want to reveal your whole story?"

I don't see where the guidelines/rules set forth will conflict with that; it's up to you to be creative.

There needs to be some sort of "continuity" to the Showcase Board; it was created to show off what is being created with FPSC. Not for people to pop something together and call it good (not that many have done that here); that's what the WIP Board is for. I have seen numerous games/demos/levels here where the developer makes statements such as "yes, I need to make some more changes", etc. Those will get moved right away...as they're still in development (or a WIP).

There are developers who have indicated that they do not bother posting their finished pieces here, because this board is ending up just like the old Showcase Board (now the WIP Board). That needs to be rectified. I apologize for not keeping a tighter grip on this from the beginning, but I had things to do outside of these Forums.

Thank you for your input though; there's nothing wrong with constructive criticism and voicing your concerns.

-Keith
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 15:36
Its quite simple really.

If a game is not of "Game" quality then it is not "Showcase" worthy.

Everything else belongs in the WIP board and there is nothing wrong with that - anyone that has a game "under development" should be satisfied with that. There is no shame in having a Work In Progress.

Few will finish a game to a level of quality that is Showcase worthy. If you want your game there then there is a need to make sure that it is developed to a required standard otherwise it goes in the WIP.

WIP is for Work in Progress

Showcase is for Showing off the Best.

Best of the Best is for just that.

If you want your work to move out from WIP up the ladder then it will require some considerable effort and quite rightly so.

250 seamless textures : http://www.umedia.co.uk
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 01:08
Can a moderator please move the 'Nazi Zombies Fan Game' to the WIP Boards?

Kravenwolf

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 06:26
Done.

Everyone now has until Thursday, July 9th, to make the changes...or your thread will be moved to the WIP Board.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 01:54
Can a moderator please e-mail me regarding my showcase entry here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=143066&b=35&p=0

I think it provides more than enough information and the use of thumbnails makes it more acceptable at various resolutions however I'm not certain as to how strict this board is becoming. While I would find it disappointing to see that my current layout would need modification (as I believe it provides more information in a more easily visible layout) I will adhere to any rules/regulations put in place by our moderators...

...so far as things don't start looking like George Orwell's vision of 1984

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 06:19
The requirements are there to keep things more standard; although I will make a small change, now that I see your title graphic (allowing a title graphic, instead of the centered/underlined/bold version).

This is the way things will be, in order to start bringing the Showcase Board back into shape. I really don't see anything "Orwellian" about it at all. Shouldn't take but a few minutes of your time.

Also; the requirement of 2 screenshots in your first post is set in stone...but feel free to include as many as you want in following posts on your thread.

Hope that helps clear things up.

-Keith
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 06:24 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2009 06:27
The Orwell reference was more of a joke, didn't say it was that way...yet...

Since my thread has already been around I obviously can't insert a post into 2nd, so it seems kind of silly to get rid of my third screenshot.

EDIT: BTW, what's the stance on thumbnails for screenshots? Most forums I've been on require thumbnails because it makes it easier for those who are on low-speed connections or low-resolutions.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 06:37
Quote: "The Orwell reference was more of a joke, didn't say it was that way...yet.."

Thumbnails are fine, as long as there's only two.

As far as the 3rd screenshot goes; I can't make an exception for one (I've learned my lesson with that in the past), unfortunately. Sorry Airslide.

-Keith
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 06:41
I've amended the rules to include:

- Thumbnails are acceptable for the 2 in-game screenshots.

- A Title Graphic may substitute for the prescribed method of displaying the Game's name.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 01:45
Oh, here's an idea:

Okay, right now, the limit of 2 screenshots in the first post seems a little bit silly if the rest are just added in subsequent posts. What if the format was amended to allow additional screenshots if they are below all other content, particularly download links. That would give the same effect but would allow those of us who need to modify our current layouts to fit the new rules to throw the extra screenshots in since we can't insert a post specifically after our own.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 15:21 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2009 15:34
The purpose of allowing 2 screenshots only in the first post, is to force the developer to show off their absolute best from the very beginning. In this case; it is also to keep things standardized.
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 15:39
Quote: "The purpose of allowing 2 screenshots only in the first post, is to force the developer to show off their absolute best from the very beginning. In this case; it is also to keep things standardized. "

I like the new concept. It adds a touch of professionalism to the developers' presentations.

Kravenwolf

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 15:59
Quote: "I like the new concept. It adds a touch of professionalism to the developers' presentations."

That's what the whole aim is. I can't deviate from a set of rules for a few (and I don't mean that in a harsh way); once that starts, then eventually we'll wind up right back where we are now. There has to be standards here.

Only a few more days to go, before threads start getting moved. I can see that there will be quite a few to move...some good ones too, unfortunately.

-Keith
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Fixed my thread http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=153566&b=25&p=0

can please move it back to the showcase

Thanks

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 16:29
Quote: "- This Board is for finished FPSC Games and Demos ONLY; not FPSC Mods, add-ons, tools, or websites, etc.

- What is NOT allowed here:

1.) Alphas/Betas (this indicates that you are still in development...otherwise know as a WIP).

2.) Games that looked like they were "thrown together" overnight (I realize that leaves room for interpretation, and it can be discussed with a Moderator).

3.) Quick little "levels" (a level does not constitute a full game or demo; however, if it can be proved to be a "tech demo"...such as one using Sketchup to create an FPSC game, or to show off a specific Mod, it may be allowed)."

You need to work on it a bit more before it goes here. I also need to work on some special stipulations for Multiplayer, as I'd like to see more of those levels. Standby in the future for those updates! I will consult yourself and the rest of the community as to what would need to go into a multiplayer entry.

-Keith
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "2.) Games that looked like they were "thrown together" overnight (I realize that leaves room for interpretation, and it can be discussed with a Moderator).
"

12 Hours was thrown together in 8 hours. Anyways as I said I did it to try out fpsc ip so if its allowed to stay in WIP then thats good enough for me.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 16:43
Absolutely it can stay in WIP; that's what it's for!
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 16:48
Quote: "
2.) Games that looked like they were "thrown together" overnight (I realize that leaves room for interpretation, and it can be discussed with a Moderator)."
Well, I would not agree with that because "12 Hours" and "Morgue Survival" were both made in under a day. But I think that 12 Hours definitely reaches the standards and I think The Morgue is good enough to keep there too. I think that should be reworded to something like this: "Games that do not meet the standard of quality set by the other showcase games, will be moved to WIP."

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 19:36
Can't really say that either, as it is all objective. Which is why I put in the catch-all "it can be discussed with a Moderator". There is no set rule that can determine that. However, the Moderator does have the final say in the matter...although there will be constructive criticism and guidance as to how to reach your goal.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 21:11 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2009 21:13
Quote: "The purpose of allowing 2 screenshots only in the first post, is to force the developer to show off their absolute best from the very beginning. In this case; it is also to keep things standardized."

I understand the intention, and I think it's a good one, but if it can be worked around by posting more screenshots in the second post, I don't see how it helps. The only difference is that you have, I dunno, 24 pixels of enforced separation?

Anyhow, it's not all that big a deal, just trying to make life a little easier for the people who already made threads but didn't make the second post. I wouldn't take advantage of it anyways because the one screenshot I had to take out would simply look stray down there

EDIT: Just to confirm, the SOTR thread is fine now, correct? I realize it isn't cookie-cutter layout but it's got all the same information with just a little more division.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 21:20 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2009 21:20
Yep; the thread's fine now. I don't mind a little bit of play, as long as the core elements are there...in the format I provided.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 00:00 Edited at: 4th Jul 2009 00:00
Excellent

I do like the overall provided format, I just don't like the example presentation...but then again, polish is something I've ALWAYS been nitpicky about. I believe Plystire and Errant can testify to this

Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 05:18
Quote: "2.) Games that looked like they were "thrown together" overnight (I realize that leaves room for interpretation, and it can be discussed with a Moderator)."

I think that 12 hours deserves to be put in the Showcase board. Doesn't just look like a thrown-together game.

WizMod Developer.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Doesn't just look like a thrown-together game."

We asked it to be moved, as it is still a WIP.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 19:32
Just a reminder that you have 3 more days to modify your thread, before the move.

-Keith
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 17:16
Threads will begin to move to the WIP Board TOMORROW.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 06:48
Threads have been moved; top post updated.
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the clean up mate. Very good.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 11th Jul 2009 13:56 Edited at: 11th Jul 2009 13:56
Looking forward to trying some of these (when I have access to a suitable connection).

But what's that final post?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
_sYn_
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol very strange !
Look at the date in my screenshot. Very very strange ^^

It´s good to see a clean Showcase rubric.

- sYn

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2009 20:11
Quote: "But what's that final post?"

A glitch in the matrix...

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 11th Jul 2009 20:36
I'm thinking that GreenShed Multiplayer Map is not made with FPSC.

Brian.

Lizzie Borden took an axe and gave her mother forty whacks.

fpsFREE - Contact Me
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2009 02:28
I've been trying to delete it without success, so far.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2009 05:29 Edited at: 12th Jul 2009 05:29
Quick suggestion for tidyness sake...

Take a look at the Code Snippets board. Rows of threads all completely consistent with their version formatting.

I think the showcase would look a lot cleaner if that was done the same way here. For the most part right now it's fine but I think that Morgue Survival's [X9] designation should be before the title and there should be a space after my version designation in the SOTR thread (my mistake).

I don't know how I could be more nit-picky but I think it will honestly look a little better if they are all somewhat consistent I realize it's already in the rules which is good.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2009 19:00
Just for you Airslide...

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2009 21:11
Thank you Santa!

I realize it's really, really nitpicky but doesn't it look so much better?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 00:41
Yep; works for me, thanks ND.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 15:37:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 15:37:13