Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Blood Splatters

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 22:15
Hi! I'm working on a FPS and I wanted to add some effects like blood and the illusion of bullet holes in walls (using a plain image). I can do this now except I can't make the blood get cut off or bend around corners so it just lays flat and looks terrible. So how can I make an image either A. Make the image get cut off so if the image hits a corner there is nothing floating in the air, or B. Make the image wrap around a corner.

I'm not necessarily asking for a script for this I just wanna be pointed in the right direction so I know the method of doing it. Then after I try it and if I fail then I would like any kind donations of code. Thanks!

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 22:51
I assume that you're doing this in 3D. Not being a 3D type person I'll simply suggest, based on keeping my ear to the ground, that maybe you can use it as a layered texture on the object you're rendering?

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 23:58
Oops forgot to mention it was 3D, so yea it is 3D and I'm not good with programming lingo so by this:
Quote: "use it as a layered texture on the object you're rendering"

Do you just mean that I should apply the texture to the object at the position where it is so it'll automatically wrap around the object? If that is what you mean then is it possible to texture an object without the texture being repeated or stretched? (kinda assuming that's where the layered texture lingo comes into play).

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 00:08
Have a look here for an explanation on how most modern games do geometry wrapped decals: http://www.moddb.com/games/overgrowth/news/how-to-project-decals
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 00:08
Kinda what I was saying. Like I said, I'm not even a neophyte where 3D is concerned but I assumed that you can apply multiple textures and that you could limit the repeat factor.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 00:10 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 00:45
Quote: "Have a look here for an explanation on how most modern games do geometry wrapped decals: http://www.moddb.com/games/overgrowth/news/how-to-project-decals"

Seems simple enough.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 00:47 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 01:46
Well I tried but I won't be able to do it the way in that link so I'm thinking of other ways, and posting them when I think of them.

- Works
- Haven't Tried Yet

Idea 1:
1. Make a cube and texture it so that there is blood splatter on each face.
2. Get the collision point and position the cube there.
3. Move the cube to be flush with the wall (not sticking out).
4. And that's it, the only down fall is that it only works with cubes...

Idea 2: (An idea but not sure if it's possible to program)
1. Load the image of blood
2. Get the object that you collided with (shot in my case) and texture it with the image of blood.
3. Some how position the texture on the object to the collision point

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 05:44
i've got an easy solution... dont have any corners in your game xD, why not make the blood spray? have smaller splatters and make a cone type array from the exit wound to the blood splatter area, pick random points where it collides (however much blood you want) and then place the decals there, that will give you the illusion your looking for.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size << omg my sig was 400x125

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 05:55:59
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 05:55:59