Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK Level Editor Idea

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 02:35 Edited at: 27th Jun 2009 01:08
Hi! Recently I've been making a few projects and stopping each one, you know why? It was because of the hassle of using 3DWS to design my levels which, for me, isn't the easiest of all things to do. So I thought of an idea, lets get a project going for the entire Dark GDK community, so everyone can contribute ideas and code! Here's a plan for an editor that's very simple BUT, it would still be very helpful.

-Finished
-Working On
-Not Started

Progress:
Model Loading (importing)
Viewing The Map
Exporting Map
Loading Map
Moving Objects
Rotating Object
Engine
Pre-Release Touch Ups(Making it easier to use)

Estimated beta release - June 29, 2009 (Vacation this weekend)

Marsh0
Years of Service
User Offline
Years ago when i was using dark basic classic or pro i forget which someone already made this. Was pretty handy.
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 03:45 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 03:54
Yea I already started on it. All I have now though is camera movement, and object loading. Although the good thing is, is that I know how I'm gonna program everything it's just a matter of designing how I want it.

EDIT: I just thought of something... this would be very helpful just for putting in the stuff of a level to make it function (enemies, med packs, ammo, all interactive stuff). And for the main part of the level you just load up a map exported with 3DWS. Can't wait to finish this to see how much it really helps

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
A short while ago I also started a level editor which I also wished to release to the community with full source code when it's ready... but at the moment it's not further ahead than yours. I'm interested in the beta to see if you started with a similar or different approach.

By the way, you say that 3DWS is a hassle and then in the next post, you want to load levels created with 3DWS? Isn't there a contradiction?
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 17:49 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 17:50
Hehe, well mine is pretty simple, all I do is load up an object into the editor (using dbLoadObject) then I add 1 to the current amount of objects. Then when I export I simply use fstream.h, and do:

then i repeat that for each thing that all objects have in common (rotation, dbLoadObject command, scale). The only downfall right now is that you will have to go through yourself and put in special values for each object. So lets say you put in a health pack in the editor. It would export the code to load, position, rotate, and scale the object. Then you copy that into the VC++ 2008 editor and then you would have to put how much health it would heal.

As for the 3DWS, the way I posted it would seem like a contradiction. But, I'm personally going to use 3DWS to make the basis of the level (floors, walls, etc.) then use my editor to fill in the special little things. Because the main advantage in my editor from 3DWS is that all objects you put in it can be interacted with in your game without any other code then what it spits out. Because with 3DWS levels you would have to mess with limbs and such...

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 23:47
I released the first version in Program Announcements so check it out!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 05:56:06
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 05:56:06