Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / array problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm trying to write a program that will take a polygon, and convert it into triangles. I have the algorithm worked out, and i have it coded, but im having some problems compiling it to start debugging, and it's because of a dynamic struct array.

Basically, its an array called triangles, which holds x1,x2,x3,y1,y2, and y3. The problem seems to be when i put in triangles[], to delete the array or find the size. I have no clue what im doing wrong here, because im a newbie to c++. Im gonna post up the entire program because it needs a looking over from someone who knows what they're doing anyways.

In case you wanna know how the algorithm works (for clarity or interest), here it is:

Excluded vertices are red, the current vertices are green, the tris are green, and the polygon is black. Heres how it works:
1. find the leftmost vertex
2. find the two adjacent, non excluded vertices
3. create a triangle
4. find the next leftmost vertex
5. find the two adjacent, non excluded vertices
6. create a triangle
7. repeat

Also, this is only the second usable program i've written in c++, so if theres anything stupid im doing, any bad habits im forming, or anything else, please tell me!

Iuzidal
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like you have a local and a global variable with the same name.
tri* triangles=new tri[1]; is repeated twice.

I would ditch the array and look into using an stl container like a vector which will handle all the memory management for you.

Something like (pseudocode)

I had to turn off the debug runtime lib in 2008 to use STL.
Config Properties-> C++ -> Code Gen -> Runtime Library set to /MT
Bran flakes91093
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 07:57
I don't have the time to look over the whole thing right now, since it's 12:51 AM , but in these lines:

Take out the [] after the triangles variable. The compiler will know it's an array. Also, when calling delete, put the [] after delete instead of after the variable.

Your_Health = (My_Mood == HAPPY) ? 100 : NULL;
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Iuzidal and bran flakes, i've heard of vectors, and i'll probably try using them because i've had so many problems with dynamic arrays, but i want to figure out what im doing wrong here first.

Heres my slightly changed code. I've taken out the string.h includes because there is a library in there that conflicts with something else, and i've made a couple other modifications. However, i get "Read access violations" and it seems to be coming from my addmem function. The application runs for a bit, and eventually gets an error message.

I still have no idea what i'm doing wrong heree

Bran flakes91093
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 03:27 Edited at: 28th Jun 2009 06:07
Wrong.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
What do you mean by changing it directly?

Bran flakes91093
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 06:11
Never mind what I said before, I was... Wrong. I debugged your code and saw that memcpy() was the problem, so I replaced it with a simple for loop.

The length of the dynamic array is calculated by dividing the whole by the first part, just to explain.

Iuzidal
Years of Service
User Offline
As I pointed out earlier, you have an issue with using the name "triangles" twice

Global definition:
tri* triangles=new tri[1];

Location in update_tris
delete [] triangles;
tri* triangles=new tri[1];

The local definition is eclipsing the global one on each iteration. You then access the global one which has been deleted, but no new memory has been allocated.

remove "tri*" from the 2nd allocation.

---

I don't use dynamic arrays much, but isn't sizeof(triangles) just 4 since it's a pointer? sizeof(tri) will give you the size of the struct, but without making a compiler specific call I don't think you have access to the size of dynamic array from just the array pointer. I think your trinum variable tracks that.. just new tri[trinum];

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 05:45:46
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 05:45:46