Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / DPro v7.4 beta 7c - issues with source code?

Author
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 01:00
Any of the modders use DBPro 7.4 beta 7c? I went from beta 6 and tried beta 7b and had sprite reversal problem, then went back to '6' and now tried 7c. I can't even get the source code to compile. I'm using the same setup necessary to make '6' to work. I know Lee is extremely busy right now and I hate to bring it to his attention just yet. Especially without my pursuing this more on my own.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 01:12
Try a slightly older version of DBPro, maybe. Like the first 7.4 beta, or the 7.3 version.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 02:05
I recently upgraded to the latest DBP beta. If you haven't already, make sure it didn't toss extra DLLs into your Compiler plugins-licensed/plugins-user folders. When I upgraded it had put an extra DLL or two into the plugins-licensed folder so I had to transfer them to the "real DBP" plugins-licensed folder (which is currently renamed as a backup)

The one and only,

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm using 7c and it compiles fine for me - this was with a fresh install of DBPro/Darklights, etc.

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 02:38
Thanks everybody. Plystire, I will check to see if I can spot the extra DLL's.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 02:57
It compiles now. However, the compiled exe causes a serious error when I try to run a level with FPSC. It works with version 7.4 beta 6. Something in the setup.ini for the compiler I'm missing? I'm using the old setup.ini that came with the "extras".

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
I had that happen with my compiled exe. But then starting a new level (a simple room) and running the game, then reloading my previously saved map works again. Maybe it has something to do with old universe dbo files needing to get cleared out.

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 03:22
Tnaks Bond1, I hadn't thought of that. I recompiled using the setup.ini that came with 7c and it still didn't work. I will now delete the old universe dbo files and or do what you had done.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 03:59
Did as you suggested Bond1. Unfortunately it didn't work. Will probably just go back to beta 6 so I can continue work on my mod. Will look at this some more. If anybody has any further suggestions or thoughts would appreciate it though.

This crash actually happens right away even before it starts loading the scripts.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 07:29
I was still having difficulties with beta 7c and then 8. So Lee suggested I copy beta 8 dlls over the beta 6 dlls. So I proceeded to do so. The results are in the following "code" drop down window.

There were three problem dlls. The following image is what my level is supposed to look like.

The first two problem dlls are DBProBasic3DDebug.dll and DBProCamerDebug.dll produce an issue which is shown in image #2 below. Both do the same thing in my compile source code after running a level.

The last dll: DBProTextDebug.dll causes the MS "...has encountered a problem message" as seen in image3.jpg below. You will notice that it crashes right away with the "Test Game engine started" message."

I reported this to Lee but I decided to post this to the community as well. I'm not sure why I am having this specific problem but our good community brothers Plystire and Bond1 are not.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 20:36 Edited at: 1st Jul 2009 20:42
I've had the same problem with a mod I'm working on with the same errors which I reported to Lee last week, my DBP even stopped working and had to be reinstalled.

Strangely, after the problem with my mod, which had been working wouldn't work at all, including the original compile version which had been running without problem.

Oddly, I reinstalled everything and the source code would compile okay, but the fpsgame.exe would crash with an unknown error, and after that FPS creator wouldn't build a test game even with the official update.

After all of this and another complete reinstall of DBP and FPS creator, even the compiled official source would run, it compiled, but a couple of seconds into the build test game the screen would turn black and FPS creator would lock up.

I'd more or less given up when a friend sent me an FPM to view, I tested that with the official version and it compiled ok, and now FPS creator works.

I have to be honest and say I haven't attempted to recompile the source since these problems, but would say, yes, there is an issue.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 00:22 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2009 00:23
Thanks for responding SC. I had tried compiling the original source code so far with one updated dll (DBProTextDebug.dll) and it worked ok. Didn't get the "MS' ... has encountered problem ..."

So, I don't know what I actually did that is incompatible with this dll. I have been trying real hard not to make any major changes to Lee's original code; although I had made--what I thought--some minor changes (if statements to decide whether to do particular code (they were only 1 or 2 lines of code--less than 10 for sure). I really didn't think that these were significant to the rest of the code. However, since this dll has "text" in its name I've added a lot of "text" statements to the source code and some "print" statements. Not sure why this would be incompatible as they are used correctly--at least no compiler errors. I will be letting Lee know about the fact that beta 8 does work with his original source code. Modifying seems to throw those 3 dlls into a tizzy.

BTW, I have had no problems with beta 6 in compiling nor running of a level using my mod.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried recompiling again last night and am now getting an error regarding "No return statements within functions" or similar. I know this has something to do with V7 updates and can't remember how I dealt with it before.

I'm going to have another go tonight, and am thinking about downgrading to beta 6 for comparison. (I think my mod worked fine with that version also.).

However, given that a .exe file which previously worked, stopped
working I'm assuming that the issue must be related to a dll

I'll let you know if I have any luck solving this or can shed any more light..
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 22:00 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2009 22:07
Lee asked me to send my modded source code to him and he is in the process of analyzing why his original code works and mine doesn't for those three dlls using beta 8.

Regarding the error message you are getting. First, did you replace the setup.ini found in the compiler folder with the one you had gotten in the "extras" file. Also, you need to be sure that these lines read:

[DIRECTIVES]
RemoveSafetyCode=Yes

Lee uses a subroutine within a function or two that requires a "return" command. I am glad he has the switch because I like to do the same thing at times (using subroutines within a function). A return command is the only way to have the routine return to where it was called. A lot of programmers try to use return as a way to exit the function which is wrong and so by checking for that they can be warned that they can't do that. As you know there are only two ways for a function to return: 1) endfunction or 2) exitfunction.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 02:10
Lee said that beta 9 will be coming out in the next couple of days; well, being we are approaching a weekend, maybe it will be next week sometime. You never know. I know he's been working late at night recently. Anyway, beta 9 might clear up some issues with compiling and running the source code in FPSC. I still have to now respond to a couple of things he wants me to do as a test. Whether this has to do with his completing beta 9 or not, I'm not sure but I will be working on this tonight and sending it off before I go to bed (Thursday night for me).

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 04:32 Edited at: 4th Jul 2009 04:34
Two of the problems I was having have been fixed and will be included in beta 9. The third one might have to do with how I was using FIRST TOKEN$ and NEXT TOKEN$ function because they were not working properly to begin with in beta 7 this was fixed and it might be that I need to rewrite my code using those functions. So I won't know until I start checking into this. I hope to get this done soon so Lee knows if it is something he needs to look at further.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "egarding the error message you are getting. First, did you replace the setup.ini found in the compiler folder with the one you had gotten in the "extras" file. Also, you need to be sure that these lines read:
"

Forgot to do that! The issue is solved.

However, I still can't get a running version of the FPS source any longer, even the standard unmodded v1.15 simply locks up on the test build.

I've sent Lee the info I think he'll need, so hopefully a solution will be found.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 01:53
The third issue I had with the FIRST TOKEN$ has been fixed. Look for a beta 9 release soon.

Scene Commander, I hope your problem has been corrected.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Flatlander - glad to hear you problem has been solved, I haven't heard back from Lee yet, so I don't know about mine. I'm hoping too hear something soon.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 15:01 Edited at: 10th Jul 2009 15:08
74 Beta 9 is now available. Fixed a lot of problems, but there are still some issues that have been floating around since 73. Lee won't fix those until he starts work on 75. This doesn't necessarily belong here but he's coming out with a new plug-in for DBP. I for one am looking forward to it. It's been a secret and he thinks a lot of people are going to like it.

@Scene Commander, If your problem hasn't been fixed it may not be a bug. Give me an email and I'll try to work through that issue with you.

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 16:34 Edited at: 10th Jul 2009 19:06
Every time I compile the source... without even editing it I just get the FPSC-Game has stopped working when I try to test it in FPSC. Im using the newest beta and I have the extras and everything. REMOVESAFETYCODE = Yes , I can change it to No and it still does the same thing. Im totally stuck. What exactly did you do to fix it Flatlander?
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 19:54 Edited at: 10th Jul 2009 19:54
Everything that has been fixed is in Beta 9.

Do you have version 115 of FPSC actually installed? If you compile the new source code and try using it with an earlier version, that will probably cause a hang-up.

Another problem is if you have more than one FPSC version installed. When going back and forth between the two, that can cause some real problems eventually. Trust me, I have experienced that problem. I have now only one version installed and since I done that many moons ago I have not had any problems other than the bugs as I continue to install the newer updates.

Of course, I am only guessing here. But I can assure you I am not having any problems other than actual bugs which have been take care of in beta 9.

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 20:13
@ Flatlander

I sent you another email.
Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jul 2009 00:50
It just wont work for me. I have tried every thing. I have uninstalled it 4 times just today. I have tried installing it many different combinations including installing all the betas right in a row and then putting the extras in. That doesn't work. I have tried installing just the 9th beta, it still doesn't work. Literally I have tried about everything and I just can't get it to work.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2009 01:25
Quote: "It just wont work for me. I have tried every thing. I have uninstalled it 4 times just today. I have tried installing it many different combinations including installing all the betas right in a row and then putting the extras in. That doesn't work. I have tried installing just the 9th beta, it still doesn't work. Literally I have tried about everything and I just can't get it to work."

Ouch! I really do think it has something to do with the installation of FPSC rather than DBPro and the source code. You never did answer my question in my last post.

Before you do a clean install of FPSC you can examine the following: the only files you need to copy are the files found in the plugins-licensed and plugins-user. It seems that the setup.ini file doesn't need to be copied now. When I updated to beta 9 I did not copy the setup.ini file but I did change the "RemoveSafetyCode" to yes which is certainly needed. Perhaps the changes of the new setup.ini file are needed even for the FPSC source code to be compile correctly using beta 9 and the old setup.ini file messes things up. If using the beta 9 compiler setup.ini file doesn't work then you might need to do the following.

I think you need to do a clean install of FPSC. Meaning:

*you first need to run the bin/dbo cleaner
*uninstall FPSC
*clean up the registry with all references to FPSC. But be careful when you do this.
* backup (this is why you need to run the cleaner) what is left in the FPSC folder and sub-folders preferably to a flash drive
* delete the FPSC directory/folder
* re-install FPSC (v1.0).
* install version 1.15 of FPSC
* now you can copy what you had backed-up. However, be careful you don't copy any BINs or DBOs. Also you may want to copy them a few at a time. I had some problem entities/segments that would cause issues with running the map-editor. Model packs or models purchase in the store have no problems so you can copy all of those. I actually re-installed them. I'm just that way. Over-cautious.

I think I have all the necessary steps.

Don't expect to go back to an earlier version after you do this especially to version 1.07.

If you don't believe you need to do this, then don't but I can't think of any reason why the compile version is not working for you.

Robert F
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jul 2009 01:31
Quote: "Ouch! I really do think it has something to do with the installation of FPSC rather than DBPro and the source code. You never did answer my question in my last post.

Before you do a clean install of FPSC you can examine the following: the only files you need to copy are the files found in the plugins-licensed and plugins-user. It seems that the setup.ini file doesn't need to be copied now. When I updated to beta 9 I did not copy the setup.ini file but I did change the "RemoveSafetyCode" to yes which is certainly needed. Perhaps the changes of the new setup.ini file are needed even for the FPSC source code to be compile correctly using beta 9 and the old setup.ini file messes things up. If using the beta 9 compiler setup.ini file doesn't work then you might need to do the following.

I think you need to do a clean install of FPSC. Meaning:

*you first need to run the bin/dbo cleaner
*uninstall FPSC
*clean up the registry with all references to FPSC. But be careful when you do this.
* backup (this is why you need to run the cleaner) what is left in the FPSC folder and sub-folders preferably to a flash drive
* delete the FPSC directory/folder
* re-install FPSC (v1.0).
* install version 1.15 of FPSC
* now you can copy what you had backed-up. However, be careful you don't copy any BINs or DBOs. Also you may want to copy them a few at a time. I had some problem entities/segments that would cause issues with running the map-editor. Model packs or models purchase in the store have no problems so you can copy all of those. I actually re-installed them. I'm just that way. Over-cautious.

I think I have all the necessary steps.

Don't expect to go back to an earlier version after you do this especially to version 1.07.

If you don't believe you need to do this, then don't but I can't think of any reason why the compile version is not working for you."

I guess I'm going to do it now. Its the only thing left for me to do. I did post an Exact log of what I did in the DbPro section of the forums. If you want to take a look what I did its here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=149698&b=1&p=3

Its the very last post, unless someone posted.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@Scene Commander, If your problem hasn't been fixed it may not be a bug. Give me an email and I'll try to work through that issue with you."

Many thanks Flatlander, I'm sending you an email now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 19:16:33
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 19:16:33