Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / how to remove the pixel shader from fastbone.fx

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 10:33 Edited at: 29th Jun 2009 11:22
I just came across this today and it saved me soo much hassle. I'm working on a game which is quite high poly, unfortunately when I was stress testing GDK and doing some maths on how many poly's I can have on screen and the amount of enemies and friendlies I can have, it just didn't meet the criteria on what I wanted.

Then I found fastbone!!!!! which boost the framerate X3 and I could meet my goal. Only problem, is that it has a pixel shader in it that does lighting on the model, and I don't want that because I'm doing a cartoonish game.

If anyone one knows how to get rid of this I would be soooooooooooo happy. I've spent a long time doing trial and error to remove it but never had any luck.

Edit:

The problem I was having was when I'm animating a model. Since GDK uses the CPU for vertex manipulation it creates a lot of stress on the cpu. fastbone.fx uses the GPU, making it better in performance, as we all know GPU is more powerful than CPU.

Also I would like to use this fx with cartoon shader on the one model.

Math89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 12:12
I'm not sure, but maybe you can put PixelShader = null instead of compile ps_1_0 PS().
AFishStudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 12:29
Still no luck...

It also seems to not like having two effects on the one model. There might be some conflict with the toon shader. Looks like they have to be combined somehow...

It's quite annoying how GDK does things on the CPU rather than GPU. I might have to move on and start using Panda3D. I much prefer GDK as I'm more used to this language than having to learn Panda3D in Python
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 14:04
If you're gonna switch renderers, go to OpenGL or DirectX. Python is going to be much slower than GDK, I think it's an interpreted language.
AFishStudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 14:43 Edited at: 29th Jun 2009 14:43
Quote: "If you're gonna switch renderers, go to OpenGL or DirectX. Python is going to be much slower than GDK, I think it's an interpreted language. "

Panda3D uses directX. Python is used to make things 'simple'.

I've done a stress test with Panda3D and it's performance is much better than GDK. However if I can get this fx working I would stay and use GDK because I'm so familar with it, plus the community here is much larger
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 15:32
I'd still use DirectX with C++ though. Python's going to be like, 100 times slower than C++ no matter what.
AFishStudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 01:59
@Zuka

I did some more tests on Panda3D, turns out you were right. It doesn't handle a lot of polygons on screen very well.

But this is getting way off topic.

Can someone please help me with the fastbone.fx
tomtetlaw
Years of Service
User Offline
Nowadays, with all the fancy quad-core 16gig of ram computers(if you can still call them that*coughBEASTcough*) speed isn't really an issue anymore with python.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 05:52:07
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 05:52:07