Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Space Shootout - An arcade Space Shooter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 23:35

Space Shootout - An arcade Space Shooter

Game info (Copied from my GameTorpedo entry
Quote: "Space Shootout is an arcade style space shooter game based off an early shooter game (which i've forgotten the name of xD). Anyway, this was a quick 2 day game which i think has come out quite well so i'm putting it up here
"

Screenshots:

The controls are as follows:

Player one: Left and right to turn. Space to fire.
Player two: A and D to turn. Control to fire.

I'm working on an online multiplayer version as well which should hopefully make it easier to play for some people.

You can download the game from the GameTorpedo page above.

www..homestead.com
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 01:40
From the screen shots it looks pretty clean and sparkly... Game play looks fun and addictive. I have 3 suggestions to make it better (if you haven't already planned it):

1) Make a background with stars and things, and planets
2) AI
3) More players (maybe 4?)

I'll have to download this and try it. So far it looks great.

TheComet

Make the path of your enemies easier with Waypoint Pro!
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 09:48
Thanks TheComet! I'll take your background suggestion into account.
AI would be very difficult and, as this was only a short game that I made quickly (only took me 2 days), I don't think i want to spend too much time adding a feature like that at the moment.

The 4 player thing is quite funny actually because originally, in a little sketch i did to plan this game, I had drawn 4 ships and I was planning to add support for more later but in the end i decided to just release it with two. If i do finish making on online version though, more players is probably something i will add

www..homestead.com
I predict DOOM
Years of Service
User Offline
this game is awezum, man, juice stuff, sixteen! but da screen shudant freeze when some1 dies dat would b much btr

Hay
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 09:19
thanks, DOOM. I was going to remove the pause when someone dies but i the new version (i will release soon), the players scores stay on screen during the pause so it's a good time to check the scores.

www..homestead.com
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 21:14 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2009 21:15
I got around to playing it, and it was a fun little retro styled game! Improvements can be made, though:

1) If I shoot where my opponent appears after dying, and then shoot him, he will die, then crash into the shots that I shot to his respawn point, and I can then easily make about 8 points right there...

2) A screen wrap would be good, because right now I can go off the screen and never return >

3) And like doom said...

Also, where did you get that music? It sounds like the Sanxion loading theme from Platypus level 2...

Keep up the good work, I'll be looking forward for this!

TheComet

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 15:26 Edited at: 4th Jul 2009 15:27
hey, thanks for playing! About the music, i got it off a chiptunes website (where the licensing says i can use the tracks for free in non-commercial applications) and i assumed it was original, i had no idea about it being the loading theme from another game but after listening to the other tune i think you're right. I've replaced it in the latest version so thanks for noticing that

The new version also has screen wrap in it so that's no longer a problem.

About the respawn thing, i'm honestly not sure what i can do about that. Multiple respawn points would work, but could be a bit buggy with there only really being 4 possible respawn points...

Anyway, This new "Uber Edition" contains:

The original 2 player arcade gameplay
Arcade mode with 3 players
A coop story mode for 1,2 or 3 players

Other added features:

Background
Screen Wrap

This version was recoded from scratch to allow the 3 player mode but it still plays and feels pretty much the same so don't worry.

A screenshot from 1player story mode:

www..homestead.com

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 16:04
It's getting better and better!

Quote: "About the respawn thing, i'm honestly not sure what i can do about that. Multiple respawn points would work, but could be a bit buggy with there only really being 4 possible respawn points..."

You could make the player invincible for a while after respawning so he has a chance to get away. And add the effect of the player flashing when invincible (hide object, show object, hide object, show object...), that would be cool.

TheComet

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 17:27 Edited at: 4th Jul 2009 19:06
ah, yeh. good idea! I'd completely forgotten the way most games to that xD

Also Do you think i should leave in the 2 and 3 player story based options? i've got the single player story potion working well but i can envisage major problems in trying to convert it as it is to 2/3 player.

EDIT: Here's a video of Space Shootout Uber Edition! (The audio in the video was reconstructed by hand because the audio recording came out really bad so some of the sound effects are missing from the second part and all the gunshot noises are missing from the story mode part.)

www..homestead.com
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 20:43
Looking nice!

Quote: "Also Do you think i should leave in the 2 and 3 player story based options?"

I think you should leave it in. Something else to make it look even better, although it is a bit challenging, would be to fade the trail the further away it is from the ship.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 21:48
hmm... fading would be VERY hard actually because the sprites used for the trail aren't in a fixed order, the one from the back moves to the front every step. there might be a way of doing it though, i'll have a look

www..homestead.com
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 00:30
Just trying to keep interest up a bit, here's one of the new backgrounds i've been making for the game:

www..homestead.com

Attachments

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 03:04
Hey, they look very nice! Maybe fade them a bit more, so you don't completely lose sight of the game by the blinding background (like in SSBB)

How did you make them?

TheComet

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 17:00
OK - I have a Space Shootout: Uber Edition demo!
It only has 1 level in the Story mode, but it should give you and idea of the feel of Story mode. I also haven't implemented the backgrounds yet but those won't take long to do.
The main reason for this demo is to make the 3 player and screen wrap functionality available.

P.S: I'm thinking of moving the development of the Uber Edition to it's own WIP thread because it'd get more of a response there and it also makes a bit more sense than having a WIP in a Program Announcements thread.

www..homestead.com

Attachments

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 21:23
Quote: "and it also makes a bit more sense than having a WIP in a Program Announcements thread."

Just before i could say it.

Nice blobby, I'd always had a love for space shooters, downloadin' the uber version now.

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:48:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:48:21