Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Object model orientations opposite of intended direction

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 03:26
Same problem as two old, locked threads: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=137421&b=22#post and http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=115271&b=1. But these threads have not solved the problem.

When an object is loaded and moved, it moves in the opposite direction of how the mesh is rotated, so objects, moving forward, appear to be moving backwards.

The objects used are from the included Dark Matter 1 collection.

I have tried to use the dbFixObjectPivot() command, as mentioned in the second thread above, after the object is loaded, but it does not work.

The second thread indicates to rotate the object 180 degrees, but this should not be needed, especially for the objects that are meant to be used with DarkGDK in the included Dark Matter collection.

I have tried dbCloneObject and dbInstanceObject but get the same results. I have tried dbFixObjectPivot after loading an original object from which clones/instances where copied, but same problem. I've also tried dbFixObjectPivot after dbCloneObject and dbInstanceObject without using dbFixObjectPivot on the original object, but same problem.

So what is a possible solution?

Thanks.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 12:31
Quote: "but this should not be needed"

I hear that at work all the time. My response is 'Who cares? It is that way so deal with it.'
/rant

Now, can you tell us exactly why rotating the object to the required angles and fixing the object pivot doesn't work? Because it certainly sound to me like that is the solution.

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 12:52
That is always the solution that I use when I have a model that I havent created and/or cant modify.

There are a number of models that come with GDK that have their point's of origin and rotation setup in different ways, meaning that sometimes you will load one, it will look at the camera, other times it will look away, other times it may be on its side etc...

My guess, is that the model packs you get with GDK arent actually designed FOR DarkGDK, but are rather an arbitrary collection of different models from different places, FPSC among them I believe, the purpose of them is to get you started and give you a set of models to use, perfect for a small project or placeholders.
Once you progress to working on higher budget/development time projects you will more than likely use models that are custom designed/made and all setup in the same way specifically for that project.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 06:01:53
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 06:01:53