Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / How to make a DOOM 3 lookalike ambience ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 06:11
Hello, how I can do for recreate the same atmosphere seen in Doom 3 (dark rooms...few sounds, non-noticeable spawning monsters...)
i've already did a try but my map is not scary ...

Someone can help me, please ?
:o
racer13 fly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 06:18
Try lowering the ambiance and putting the NPCs in places where the player wouldn't look. That's what I'm doing for my new dark horror game (just don't make it too dark).
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 06:22
I'll try this, thanks.
If you have any suggestions,
tell me them.
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 11:24 Edited at: 5th Jul 2009 11:26
X9:
Go into the Build settings and then global parameters,
After that look for the ambiance and drop it down to something familiar to 2-8...

After that modify the color(s), just make sure that blue is a tad bit higher than the green and red.

After that done you'll want to get some color(s) for your lights,
Try out these codes:
Dark-Brown: 57422e
Dark-Grey: 535353
Light-Grey: b9b9b9
Light-Brown: 754c24
Dark-Orange: 9a5715
LIGHT-Orange: df7a16
Dark-Blue_Tint: 16527c
Light-Blue_Tint: 7fb0d3

I recommend you put these in a *.TXT in/on your desktop...

X10:
The same thing works out just as the same but that you will need to use the slider ingame to change it, just press tab and it'll appear...
Once you changed it to a level you like exit and save your map, then place down your lights with the color codes up above to add a scarier feel to it...

Also because X10 allows Normal maps and Specular maps to work perfectly you can get a great effect simply...

No one knows just what has become of her, Shattered, dull, desperate, oh so innocent and delicate. But too damn obdurate, And obstinate to let go!
DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 18:10
turn on full shaders, set the ambience to 0, and use the flashlight script, also use flickering lights and make entities spawn behind you

If every millisecond in your life was 10 problems in the world, you'd be immortal
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 22:59
perhaps a drop ceiling entity. make it spawn when the player enters a hallway, and give it a spawnlife of however long it takes for the player to get near it, give it crumble as it's destroy script and spawn a monster in the ceiling to fall out. that'd be a surprise.

a good way to have a good atmosphere in a game is to nt make the player be on the ground. this prevents the player from moving too close to imperfections in segments. i.e. do you really need a crate or pile or barrel on a gantry? this lack of cover makes the game tougher and the whole room surrounding you gives you a chance to put more than floor entities. a more pathlike room also directs the player better, making the game funner.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 00:28
Loads of pipes and panels... cool scifi architecture, no blocky rooms.

God Helps the Beast in Me!
DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 02:47
Plenty of good ideas here Not only for a doom 3 lookalike but can be used for many other games.

[img][/img]

RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 16:53
Thanks for these tips !
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
Well...ideally you´ll want to make the levels tight and claustrophobic. Dark corridors with lots of pipes are good.
Also you´ll want to slap on normal and specular maps to everything, make the metals look realistic (X10 is well suited for this, but X9 with a mod should also work)

A picture says a thousand words.
--H.K.--
http://www.fpsc-online.com/
Kalex91
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 12:02
Your games probably wont be scary to you because you created it. try getting people to test it, like a brother or someone.
Butterkiss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 20:05
If you want to make a new doom, make the enemies not be so predictable But You should make the game so dark that you can barley see your weapon

B1
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 23:18
Thanks.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 21:19:45
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 21:19:45