Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / My first creation. O_o

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 03:31 Edited at: 9th Jul 2009 23:23
EDIT: ANY input is welcome. Another song is below on my second post.

Hello Music and Sound FX Board. This is my first musical creation. I've taken piano lessons for quite a few years. (I believe around 4)

In the past year or so, I've taken to making my own tunes. Today I purchased an electric piano keyboard, hooked it up to my computer, and started making music.

This was made for a brick break game.

Thanks for your time,

Irojo

- If this is the wrong board, please tell me. -

Time is money. I just ripped you off.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice, keep it up It's a learning proccess, keep at it and you'll be a pro in no time

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 22:42
Thanks Lucifer .

I made another song... It's to loop for a Main Menu.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Monarchy One
Years of Service
User Offline
It's sounds good for a first track. I'd recommend having more instruments in future tracks also, since having so few can be boring sometimes. I'd also recommend having more variety your pieces; just to make it less monotonous.

What music software do you use to compose?
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 22:47
Oh please... aif on these forums is not a very great combination.
Please use mp3 from now on. With such large files and that slow download speed, chances are people just can't be bothered to download and listen to your work, unfortunately.

Anyway, on the actual song; the tempo seems to be a tad off at places, but as Lucifer said, it's rather good for a first try.
Keep at it

Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2009 03:26
Sorry. I'll see if i can figure out how to make them mp3... Garageband is weird like that.

Thanks guys!
(And yea, you guys have excellent ears, the tempo probably is off at places.)

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 06:06
hi Irojo,
Timing is everything - especially with piano or keyboard. It has been my experiance(and most everyone elses) that keeping perfect time on piano is a most difficult task especially when laying tracks. I suggest that you lay a quick beat or tick track that you are comfortable with that will help you keep time. you can use fruity loops to do this as It will create wav files that you can import into your program. Remember that you dont have to include the ticker track on your mixdown , its only there for you to keep perfect time (as far as humanly possible anyway).

Regards
Gamerboots~
Monarchy One
Years of Service
User Offline
@Irojo
If you want to make your tracks .mp3 rather than .aif, do the following:

When you go to - Share > Send Song to iTunes, you should see a drop list saying 'Compress Using'. From the drop-down menu, choose MP3 Encoder then press Share.

Hope this helps =)
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 05:15
Wow thanks guys! Clever Idea gamer, much thanks.

@Monarchy
There isn't a drop list, I don't have the newest version of garageband, I think that's it. And, to be honest, I'm scared of tackling a practically new program. I guess I should though.

Monarchy One
Years of Service
User Offline
In that case, just convert them in iTunes, but make sure the import settings are set to convert files into .mp3 first.
BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2009 02:20
Or--Audacity runs rather nicely on mac; as does VLC--good tools.

You seem to have a knack for making up some good riffs, now the real skill in composing is not composing, rather, arranging. In the first track you posted, there were some good compositional ideas--motifs. Now, you can develop these motifs to flesh out your song. For example, the synth lead at the beginning was pretty cool, but it never came back!

You made variations on the primary licks (that start at ~00:31), which is great. But, you can do even more. All Bach did when he composed some of his best music was think up a nice sequence of notes, not even long enough to be called a melody, and went nuts with them. You can play them up a step or two (or more if you'd like), play them backwards, upside down (invert the intervals between notes), or with different instruments.

Here's a really good visual representation of an analysis of one of Bach's most popular songs, the two-part Invention No. 1 in C Major:
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/tas3-cgi-bin/nph-canonx.pl?track1.vcd&invanalysis.html

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 04:15:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 04:15:18