Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Multisync Help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
First I'd like to warn you, this might be a dumb question.

I'm trying to just set up a simple connection between my computer and the one next to me. I am starting with this program (which I found, I didn't write it)

host

And Client

So I ran the host on one, it said "ready to accept connections", then I ran the client on the other and it didn't work "Could not connect to a multisync server.

Then I tried changing the "server ip address" to the server's ip. Still no luck.

Then I made sure the programs were listed as exceptions in the firewall, same thing.

Now I'm kind of stumped... Any help would be appreciated.
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
If they are on the same router, put the router's ip in (usually 192.168.x.x)

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2009 00:27
If you run both programs on the same machine, use this ip to connect: "127.0.0.1".

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2009 03:14
Your indentation is broken, which makes your code harder to read.

Make sure that the IP address of the machine you are connecting to is right (it must be the host's LAN IP).

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2009 03:51
the problem could also be your ports.... you have that code setup to use port 23, have you made sure that nothing else is using that port, and that it is open and taking connections ? (I cant remember but i think port 23 is used for something system related or was that 25 ?? Maybe trying some random number port(52341 is the port i forward for things like that, 64320 is the port my p2p app uses to recieve connections from TCP/UDP)

Also at the top of the code you are using you localhost IP(127.0.0.1) which will only work if both the client and server are run on the same PC(127.0.0.1 is like telling the pc to connect to itself) ... That char serverIP[] variable is listing the localhost in both programs, try changing it to the IP address of your sever(once you are sure what it is)..

To find out your IP adress(on WinXP, dont know vista sorry) goto Start->Run and type "cmd" and click ok. That will put you into a command prompt, inside that prompt type "ipconfig" and hit enter(do this while your internet/LAN connection is active) After that command runs, you should see a few lines on text, telling you what your IP address, Default gateway etc are.

Also, using some kind of network monitor to watch what your net is doing while the program runs might help aswell - if you can find a decent one you should be able to monitor which ports the program is attempting to use and which address its trying to connect to, that will tell you if its something the program is doing wrong or something related to your network.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Got it, I was using the wrong lan ip. Thanks guys!
SFCBias
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 23:51
i cant figure out how to use this either, im trying (for now) to run this on the same machine so i have both(host and client) serverip variables set to 127.0.0.1 . but i still get the cannot connect error.
any suggestions?
SFCBias
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 00:06
never mind i found where i messed up

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 05:58:09
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 05:58:09