Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / From DBP to DGDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 08:38
Before i take the leap, would someone relatively fluent in DBP have a hard time in DGDK? What about learning basic C++ fundamentals?

i just want to know that im not wasting my time thanks

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 09:10
As far as the command-set goes, its pretty much exactly the same except the commands are all one word and have 'db' in front of them.

Example:
Make Object Sphere 1, 50

becomes:
dbMakeObjectSphere( 1, 50 );

The main difference is that you'll be using c++ syntax for everything else. Some of the operators and other utilities that were available in DBPro aren't available. For example, in DBPro I believe you can combine all types of variables and it will do the work for you. For example, ( Text 10, 10, "Health: " + Health ). However, in C++ you can't just add numbers to strings and have it work out. It's not very hard to accomplish the same tasks, but it's different, and will take some getting used to.

I'd follow some basic C++ tutorials before jumping into DarkGDK. There are some nice tutorials at this site: www.cplusplus.com

Good luck

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 09:12
thanks I knew about the commands being similar, i was just wondering about general use like types/variables.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 15:45 Edited at: 14th Jul 2009 15:45
Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: It doesn't hurt to know the basics of DBP. I've tried many BASIC syntax Game Creation Languages, but, often found myself desiring more C/OOP features the more I used them. DGDK significantly eases the transition to C++. You can easily code procedurally in C++ without using any OOP, but, I assure you that once you step into the OOP you will not step back out.

The toughest part (at least for me) was setting up the compiler. You have access to many more options that determine the app is compiled and the MS VC Express. IDE has some awesome intellisense and debugging features that make working with C++ significantly easier than DBP in my opinion.

My original DBP project was a MMO. But, I've scaled back my game dev efforts with a much smaller project (astroids-like game) to familiarize myself with the language, IDE & compiler. I feel confident, that once I complete it I'm ready to resume my MMO development once again.

Good Luck to you

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:14:58
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:14:58