Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Loading resources : System and Video Memory

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Silly question:
When i load resources like .X,.DBO,.PNG,.JPG,.DDS files are they loaded into the video card memory or into the system memory.
Because 'Process Explorer' is showing that my process uses like 800 MB. Its counting the video card memory too?

Thanks.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2009 12:26
Just guessing, I think they load into system ram, then they are took to video ram, if there is room there.
If there is no room, they (used to) stay in system memory (causing big time lags). Oh well, not totally sure.

I think that the 'Process Explorer' only shows the amount of system ram being used.
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2009 13:08
I think that anything you load is loaded into system memory. The video memory I thought was mainly responsible for holding textures and image data and was accessed and controlled by the video card via its drivers.

The Process Explorer is unlikely to be showing your video memory aswell as your system memory all in one, doing that doesnt make sense as they are for 2 different things and cant really be combined like that. To be able to interrogate your video memory, you would have to have a seperate application to report about its usage... but I think that would have to be done in the form of a log, of how its used during a program's execution, or perhaps you could find some kind of video memory monitor by searching online.

But you say that your program is using 800mb of memory... Is it a large program ? that seems a little excessive for just loading a couple of models and their animations and textures.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
Well... it has 42 complex animated objectts with high res textures plus the scene also has high res textures. (Plus the sound)
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2009 18:20
Quote: "doing that doesnt make sense as they are for 2 different things and cant really be combined like that"

Sure they can, memory in peripherals such as your GPU need to be addressed somehow, this is why on 32 bit systems you're limited to around 3GB of addressable RAM(as the rest addresses other stuff).

As for the OP's question, all media is at least stored in system memory but for textures they are copied over when required(by the driver), and I imagine meshes are the same. Thus loading a 10MB image when decompressed and/or converted will use up 20MB of addressable space when in use. This can be seen via explorer as I believe it displays the allocated virtual memory by default.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:25:21
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:25:21